If you can't fix it with C-clamps and ratchet straps

Reichow7120

Railroad bridge that goes over a busy street in one of the larger towns i live near has had some repairs done to it. This isn't staged. Just thought some of you guys would get a kick out of it. 

If you can't fix it with ratchet straps and C-clamps, it can't be fixed Apparently ???

bridge-1.jpg

E73DD5E1AFC842C3B17006BCFDDCFFB5.jpg

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Finney said:

They forgot duct tape.

Little bailing wire too?

• Haha 1

The C clamp adds some fireproofing compared to just a strap ....

;)

Was that on the Red Green Show ? ???

• Haha 1

As a civil engineer who has managed 170+ bridges for a county highway dept for over 30 years, I am shocked they leave it this way. A strap and some c-clamps won't keep it in place if it decides to move. I'm not concerned it will move, the dead load alone is enough to keep it in place.  A couple channels welded to the facia beam would be far more reassuring to the public. Perception is reality.

1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:

I'm surprised they haven't been stolen.

Me too. Especially around here 

7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Those looks like Wilton Clamps. Very nice stuff, but...... not hold a bridge up nice. 

Probably just Chinese knockoffs

• Like 1

The strap was used to pull the reinforcement support into plumb, and the clamps to keep it there until the bridge was lowered onto the new support.

I'm sure the crew thought it would be HILARIOUS to leave them there as if they were holding the bridge together.

My guess is management doesn't have the same sense of humor, and these fellows will be looking for a new job.

No strap or clamps, and nobody would have said a word.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Raildudes dad said:

As a civil engineer who has managed 170+ bridges for a county highway dept for over 30 years, I am shocked they leave it this way. A strap and some c-clamps won't keep it in place if it decides to move. I'm not concerned it will move, the dead load alone is enough to keep it in place.  A couple channels welded to the facia beam would be far more reassuring to the public. Perception is reality.

You must know Tom Byle?

6 hours ago, TomH said:

I'm surprised there is not a pair of vise grips along with the clamps and strap....

LOL I was thinking Vise Grips hold more better than C-Clamps! :) 

yes I said more better  it seems to fit with the theme here.