7120 oil pressure lights

Used this 7120 to chop silage, by the end of the field, the oil light/stop engine lights would come on at idle, but go off when idled up to 1000. It did it only Intermittently. I put a gauge on a port towards back of block when I got home. Tractor warm but probably not as warm as when chopping, had 50+ at 2200, 18 at 850 idle. Left gauge on while using it for other chores. Lately has been running around 16 at idle, if I deadhead a remote it will pull idle down to 700, lights come on, pressure stays at 10lbs. I think sender is supposed to be set at around 10 lbs, so electrics I think are doing they're job. Is it time for bearings? Has 13450 hrs on it, supposed to have been overhauled at around 5k for oil consumption. I did notice a oil leak at right side of front cover during chopping, but haven't really noticed a puddle since then. Oil is at full mark now, after chopping for probably 30-35hours level was at bottom of cross hatches. I use caseih 15-40 oil, have been using napa filters. I replaced head gasket in June, but didnt replace the aluminum oil tube for rockers. Could that have cracked? Oil pumps ever get weak? Also had pan off to replace rear main and drive plate, but if suction tube came loose, wouldn't have any pressure, right?

• 3 weeks later...

We run Case IH 15-40 in ours and the 8950 we bought as a year old tractor has 17,000 on the original engine except for a few head gaskets

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Yes I would do bearings. That front cover leak is common. You have to pull timing gears to fix rear timing case leak. 

It had a leak at rear of timing case when I got it, pulled cam gear to fix that. I'll have to pressure wash it better to see exactly where leak is now, but it looks like right side where tin cover bolts on, may be front seal. Cold it has 60 plus psi but when warm and you take off at idle, rpms drop to 750 and psi drops to 10 to 12 psi, just long enough to turn lights on then go off as rpms come back. As long as it's not going to hurt it, I'll check it out further after harvest and hay hauling. Really need it as wet a year as it's been. Thanks, Robert 

12 hours ago, 1958560 said:

It had a leak at rear of timing case when I got it, pulled cam gear to fix that. I'll have to pressure wash it better to see exactly where leak is now, but it looks like right side where tin cover bolts on, may be front seal. Cold it has 60 plus psi but when warm and you take off at idle, rpms drop to 750 and psi drops to 10 to 12 psi, just long enough to turn lights on then go off as rpms come back. As long as it's not going to hurt it, I'll check it out further after harvest and hay hauling. Really need it as wet a year as it's been. Thanks, Robert 

There is replacement tin cover and you use sealer instead of gasket for front cover. I just fix them on trucks but local caseih dealer fixes them all the time. It should get you through but I would check the bearings. If you have timing cover problems replace the oil pump then also.

Bump your idle up with the two adjustments on the rear of the injection pump , they are the ones with the jam nuts and flat blade screw in the center . It should idle at 850 so unjam the larger of the two nuts and turn it in the last 10 rpms with that screw .  You must have something going on with your oil psi , just had one here this summer to do a dyno test after it was overhauled and it was doing the same thing , 3 of the 6 piston oil coolers fell out of the block and he just got it completely overhauled . Had to take it back home remove the motor remove rather crank and get coolers from Cummins , this was do to the Reliance overhaul kit ?? 

Danny 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

Finally tore into it this spring, front cover was leaking lower right side so pulled that and while apart I pulled oil pump out. It was at high end of spec so I put an asap new one in. Now has 20 psi even at 600 rpm. Fixed a few hyd leaks as well, a few dollars in orings saves a lot of expensive hytran!

• Like 1