Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Reichow7120

Harvest thread 2019

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Do they stock old obsolete parts or have a stash of them? That's where the problem lies. Its that GSI who owns Farm Fans doesn't have this part anymore, nor does any electrical supply company or the makers for that matter. Nobody even shows a substitute for it. ( Nothing says your in trouble more than the parts guy saying "What the H--- is this" or " I didn't know GE made this ") If they do i would be more than happy to drive the 130 miles to get it. Im not that far from the Ohio border.

Thanks for your help.

Can't say on that, but they're drier guy seems to know his stuff. He might be able to help you with a work around. What is that switch for again on your drier? Sorry I didn't reply sooner, this was the soonest I could check in today. And I know the feeling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Can't say on that, but they're drier guy seems to know his stuff. He might be able to help you with a work around. What is that switch for again on your drier? Sorry I didn't reply sooner, this was the soonest I could check in today. And I know the feeling!

This switch runs the motor for the fill cross auger on top. It pulls the corn from the fill auger outlet off of the wet tank and pulls it and drops it into each individual compartment and fills them. I came out to check the drier early Monday morning before it started snowing and found the drier a 1/4 full and shut down and couldn't restart it. At 1:30 in the morning i threw up my arms after 15 minutes that time of night and knowing i couldn't do anything until morning i went to bed. It turns when it was time to refill the drier for the next batch, the fill auger started but the cross auger didn't. It filled the 1st compartment directly underneath the outlet but once it was full and the cross auger wasn't pulling it away it backed up into the wet tank auger and caused the belts to slip and burned the belts off. This overload relay burned out. Smells burnt and is allowing no power to the motor. This is late 70s, early 80s technology in this box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can check with Harms Grain Equipment in Marengo Illinois. They were our dealer and been with farm fans since dawn of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

This switch runs the motor for the fill cross auger on top. It pulls the corn from the fill auger outlet off of the wet tank and pulls it and drops it into each individual compartment and fills them. I came out to check the drier early Monday morning before it started snowing and found the drier a 1/4 full and shut down and couldn't restart it. At 1:30 in the morning i threw up my arms after 15 minutes that time of night and knowing i couldn't do anything until morning i went to bed. It turns when it was time to refill the drier for the next batch, the fill auger started but the cross auger didn't. It filled the 1st compartment directly underneath the outlet but once it was full and the cross auger wasn't pulling it away it backed up into the wet tank auger and caused the belts to slip and burned the belts off. This overload relay burned out. Smells burnt and is allowing no power to the motor. This is late 70s, early 80s technology in this box.

check to make sure the paddle that runs the mercury switch is not stuck. It is located by the motor that runs the top fill auger.  The mercury switch is located in what looks like an electrical box on the outside of the auger. The box and paddle should turn easily. Sometimes a piece of Cobb or fodder or something can cause the switch to stay stuck open. This will tell the control panel that the auger doesn't need to run, thus causing the backup and burnout you had.
the overload relay should be easy enough to replace. I would think a good electrician would be able to figure it out. It might take a newer style of relay, but the concept is the same.
if you need schematics, google farm fan corn dryer parts. I found real good schematics that show what I am talking about and how things are put together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:
check to make sure the paddle that runs the mercury switch is not stuck. It is located by the motor that runs the top fill auger.  The mercury switch is located in what looks like an electrical box on the outside of the auger. The box and paddle should turn easily. Sometimes a piece of Cobb or fodder or something can cause the switch to stay stuck open. This will tell the control panel that the auger doesn't need to run, thus causing the backup and burnout you had.
the overload relay should be easy enough to replace. I would think a good electrician would be able to figure it out. It might take a newer style of relay, but the concept is the same.
if you need schematics, google farm fan corn dryer parts. I found real good schematics that show what I am talking about and how things are put together.

Thanks for the info.

We know about the Mercury switches and where they're located. It checked out. We had one go on the unload auger a few years and in that case after the drier emptied out it would continue to run and not reset the timers to load the next batch until you hit the timer reset button. New Mercury switch fixed that 

As far as schematics. We have a wiring diagram. Like you said we printed the manual off the internet. 

Yeah it may take a electrician to put newer switches in it if it comes to that. I kinda hinted to Dad to stop screwing around and get someone better than us to get around this. At that time we also had a piece busted on the combine that needed to get fixed. It ended up my brother and I fixed the combine while he was screwing with the drier. The combine is fixed waiting for the snow to come off the corn stalks. The drier isn't 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since everyone loves pictures here are some from today and tonight. 

20191116_135131.jpg

20191116_144311.jpg

20191116_165744.jpg

20191116_203432.jpg

20191116_203241.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished corn here on Friday. Last year this field went 187 and all planted, this year half planted and did 58. Glad it got cold early in the week so I could get this done. Kinda freaky driving with one set of dials on the ice,lol. This field avg 17.5% moisture. Had one field close to home that was 16%, but rest we took at 20% + and added alot of water to make a wet corn pile for feed. Had bad green snap from high wind in July and the 30 + inches of rain was a pinch too much and next year looks to be same judging by high levels of water in November 

20191115_115014.jpg

20191115_115004.jpg

20191115_115006.jpg

20191115_112831.jpg

20191115_110916.jpg

20191115_121703.jpg

20191115_121636.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished today with the 2019 harvest. Feels good. Wasn’t to bad, but wasn’t trouble free either. 0541C386-0450-421B-88AE-CD60A349EE88.thumb.jpeg.6f4dfdd3a0b83e7ce1926db3ac844509.jpeg93E428E7-11F7-4B88-BCC1-5544757C3A00.thumb.jpeg.8dceecdf22dbdafa41c47babf225b473.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cover your eyes . I merged 30 acres and chopped for the neighbors today. They put their tractor on our one cart. It was a little greasy on the sidehill just before we got done. 8520 they just got last spring to replace their 8650 articulated

 

IMG_20191117_131309049_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191117_141744172_HDR.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished up Saturday, harvest went better than I thought it would have earlier this fall. Had some break downs but nothing major. Few pics

20191116_123818.jpg

20191116_123345.jpg

20191010_190320.jpg

20191116_142245.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bitty said:

Cover your eyes . I merged 30 acres and chopped for the neighbors today. They put their tractor on our one cart. It was a little greasy on the sidehill just before we got done. 8520 they just got last spring to replace their 8650 articulated

 

IMG_20191117_131309049_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191117_141744172_HDR.jpg

Is this the neighbor with the hog barn an dairy farm at end of your dairy barn road?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IH 986 said:

Is this the neighbor with the hog barn an dairy farm at end of your dairy barn road?

Yes , Kucharski's

I chopped for a whopping 1.01 cutterhead hours, hauled 1 hours and 40 minutes. Took more time to merge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The harvest from **** 2019 continues. These pics pretty much sum it up. 34-36% corn, 10-12” of snow, was -7 Friday night, -1 Saturday night.  

E82DD636-5B6E-4D37-A631-9C815A196BFC.jpeg

AA78F353-CB8C-4401-8589-914F8142F43F.jpeg

A30142F1-E783-4436-A03D-E4A831CB06EB.jpeg

D598B711-55E8-44F2-AEAE-36EA66222334.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. Snail mail hasn't delivered our parts for our dryer yet and with warming temps the snow melted off of the stalks and guys started to run yesterday. Well, when the going gets tough, the tough get creative. There is talk of a inch of rain this week and with the amount of snow we got and that amount of rain possible, everything would turn into a sea of mud. So it was go time.Dad and i figured out how to get the dryer going without the parts. So I dried everything everything we shelled before the snowstorm that hadn't been dried when the stand alone dryer went down and the top dry was full. We started shelling our last 24 acres of corn this morning and am pleased to say we finished this afternoon. We just need to get it dried now. But at least it's out of the field. 

20191117_110622.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

The harvest from **** 2019 continues. These pics pretty much sum it up. 34-36% corn, 10-12” of snow, was -7 Friday night, -1 Saturday night.  

E82DD636-5B6E-4D37-A631-9C815A196BFC.jpeg

AA78F353-CB8C-4401-8589-914F8142F43F.jpeg

A30142F1-E783-4436-A03D-E4A831CB06EB.jpeg

D598B711-55E8-44F2-AEAE-36EA66222334.jpeg

Been there, done that. Not fun at all! How do the sieves look? In 2016 we did a couple hundred acres of standing wheat. Was no snow but it was about 22% and foggy and very frosty out. Shut it down about 2 am the first night and spent about 3 hours cleaning out snow banks and chiseling ice out of the combines. I remember opening up the side shields and it was a wall of snow from the augers to up over the rotor. Neighbour didn't clean his combine out that night and spent most of the next day chipping ice blocks out. Man do I miss normal harvests!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

The harvest from **** 2019 continues. These pics pretty much sum it up. 34-36% corn, 10-12” of snow, was -7 Friday night, -1 Saturday night.  

E82DD636-5B6E-4D37-A631-9C815A196BFC.jpeg

Combine looks good...had to give it a like.  I hope to get bigger rear tires on mine for next year.

 Hope you somehow get the harvest done.  Sure looks like rough weather compared to us near Pittsburgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

The harvest from **** 2019 continues. These pics pretty much sum it up. 34-36% corn, 10-12” of snow, was -7 Friday night, -1 Saturday night.  

E82DD636-5B6E-4D37-A631-9C815A196BFC.jpeg

AA78F353-CB8C-4401-8589-914F8142F43F.jpeg

A30142F1-E783-4436-A03D-E4A831CB06EB.jpeg

D598B711-55E8-44F2-AEAE-36EA66222334.jpeg

I feel a little of your pain, we didn’t have 10-12” of snow, but we got snow Monday and Tuesday last week and some freezing rain to start it off. I tried shelling Wednesday and plugged up the sivs. Took it to the shop and blew and melted it out. Tried again on Friday and was much better but ended up plugging it again after 40 ton. Again to the shop and 2 hrs inside the combine cleaning it out. Today was cold and everything went beautifully, finished by 4:30 or so. Feels good. Hope things go better for you Chris. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, krich said:

I've been helping out the neighbors get some corn off today. 

20191115_151529.jpg

Is that a Haines body?

Belt unload?  Or chain and pan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Been there, done that. Not fun at all! How do the sieves look? In 2016 we did a couple hundred acres of standing wheat. Was no snow but it was about 22% and foggy and very frosty out. Shut it down about 2 am the first night and spent about 3 hours cleaning out snow banks and chiseling ice out of the combines. I remember opening up the side shields and it was a wall of snow from the augers to up over the rotor. Neighbour didn't clean his combine out that night and spent most of the next day chipping ice blocks out. Man do I miss normal harvests!

Sieves are fairly clean surprisingly. Little buildup in very front. Wasn’t putting anything out the back so kept running. Shut down over night and got to -7, next morning everything froze up. Its back home in heated shop unthawing right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad and I finished harvest on Saturday.   Dad bent the RH snout on the corn head 3 weeks ago.  Put on a brand new one.  With one acre left to go, you guessed it.  He destroyed that new snout!  He pulled it off and finished without it.  We have to move the auger back to the soybean bin and unload 3 wagons and a truckload. Then we can begin the process of arranging the sheds for winter. Feels great!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Is that a Haines body?

Belt unload?  Or chain and pan?

I believe it is but would have to find a tag to be sure. it is a hook chain. Has a 115 motor with speed reducer gearbox on the rear.   Harvest cut short tonight  combine broke. Field started out at about 25% then checked it half way through and was 35% or so when the machine broke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, krich said:

I believe it is but would have to find a tag to be sure. it is a hook chain. Has a 115 motor with speed reducer gearbox on the rear.   Harvest cut short tonight  combine broke. Field started out at about 25% then checked it half way through and was 35% or so when the machine broke. 

This wet corn and conditions sure is rough on combines. Seems as though everybody I talk to, combine is broke down. Expensive year getting out mediocre crops that are not worth anything, especially when you have to dry 20 points off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just amazing to see harvest pulled up by snow. It’s always 40 degrees plus here during harvest! 
Unfortunately there is no harvest here again due to ongoing drought (centra west NSW Australia). There is a few blokes trying to get some seed back from extremely poor crops. My son is driving a chaser bin on a neighbouring farm that has some irrigated barley to harvest.  But that’s it for our 2019 harvest. Just dust storms and smoke from bushfires burning 300km away on the coast. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

This wet corn and conditions sure is rough on combines. Seems as though everybody I talk to, combine is broke down. Expensive year getting out mediocre crops that are not worth anything, especially when you have to dry 20 points off.

That's for sure. I guess a friend broke an axle on his grain cart. Guessing fully loaded with high moisture corn did it in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...