farmerole

Downsizing to organic hay

Mostly retired from farming corn/soybeans this spring but still have 35 acres around my buildings going into organic hay.  Looking for 100-150 hp tractor for hay operation.  Prefer red but came across several White 2-130s with 4-6000 hrs for 10k or so.   They appear well cared for.  Anybody have experience with these series tractors?  Run away?

small operation.... too big of tractor

would nt be able to grow enough to cover(costs) here

what is organic hay.....putting NOTHING on it??

switching to no till didnt hurt us too much but as there is $0 in selling the grains/fruit crops etc  we dont have rotation.

once fert costs increase and chemicals continue to be pulled we will have to go back to plowing

this year we have had 3 crops of crabgrass (foxtail) from the cidiots  have completely squeezed out healthy  canary and orchard grass

$10K yr to treat or minimum 3 year plow and  useless corn

• Like 2

Know a couple people with white tractors about that size, no one seems to like them, no one can say why exactly. 

Maybe they were low cost to start with and sold because of that but weren’t really well liked?

Very rare to see them here back in the. They were "affordable", and when you see one now...its at a place surrounded by old/cheap and tiny  $2000-3000 tractors, and they just have the white because they were able to buy it for $4000.  

The few guys that had Whites around my area got rid of them because after so many hours operation on them they start to nickel and dime you to death in repairs. There were 3 2-135s in the area at one time. None made it past 5500 hrs before they got traded for something else because they wouldn't keep going. 

The later Whites with the black hood strip decals though seemed to be of better quality. 

I think dealer support will be more of an issue than the tractor itself. Hercules engine 478(?) 3 speed power shift behind (or in front of) a six speed transmission. I think these had planetary rearends but I’m not sure. Decent tractor if cared for. If it’s 4 wheel drive you’re going to need all that acreage to turn around. I wouldn’t be afraid of it after a close look over provided it was taken care of.

But, not to start a color war, I would be looking for a hydro- hydro 100, 186, or 3488 if you want a cab tractor. These tractors were made for haying.

• Like 4

Thanks guys.  You have confirmed my suspicions.  I'll probably stay red in the same horse power range as long as it has both 540/1000 PTO.  

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

The few guys that had Whites around my area got rid of them because after so many hours operation on them they start to nickel and dime you to death in repairs. 

About 5000-5500 hrs is that time. I had a 2-105 and got rid of it for this very reason. Every six months it was something. Batteries, starter, front end rebuild, injectors, etc.

I think these White's were roughly the same time frame as the 86 series and there was no comparison of the cab comfort between the two. Cab on the White was cheap and rickety compared to the 86 series.

1 hour ago, Jesse in WI said:

think these White's were roughly the same time frame as the 86 series and there was no comparison of the cab comfort between the two. Cab on the White was cheap and rickety compared to the 86 series.

If they were the silver side Field Bosses than yeah they were the same time frame as the 86 series. The red sides were very late 86 through the 30 and 50 series. 

7 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

If they were the silver side Field Bosses than yeah they were the same time frame as the 86 series. The red sides were very late 86 through the 30 and 50 series. 

Yep. I had a Field Boss 2-105. The only good thing I had to say about that tractor was they were good on fuel. Wasn't to interested in seeing the potential repair bill on the Perkins engine.

16 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

Yep. I had a Field Boss 2-105. The only good thing I had to say about that tractor was they were good on fuel. Wasn't to interested in seeing the potential repair bill on the Perkins engine.

The Perkins was/is a good motor in those tractors. It was the Waukesha that liked to self-destruct because of weak rod bolts. They were more inclined to do so after the 55’ series Oliver’s and turbocharged