NEW TO ME 504

I bought a 504 RC last week that needs a few things fixed. First was the exaust pipe from manifold on up. Elbow was broke off at the manifold and there were 7 muffler clamps holding all the pieces together! Peeled out the old elbow part and retaped manifold and installed pipe nipples and elbows and muffler. Next the tie rods looked like pretzels so I thought I could straighten them but no dice! Way too many kinks and couldn't get the sliding parts out either. I thought well I could still use the threaded ends, just make a new rod out of pipe ! But OH NO you don't ! The threaded ends are 11/16 SAE thread !!! Why? So I bought two new ends at the auto parts that will work just fine. Here are some pics. Next, make a buddy seat for the wife to ride on.

636.JPG

637.JPG

NEW TO ME 504 003.JPG

NEW TO ME 504 004.JPG

• Like 1

That's a pretty straight tractor, looks like even the tires are in real good shape. Paint is pretty decent, are you going to paint it anyway, or leave it the way it is?

• Thanks 1

Precious ( her new name ) is pretty nice shape except the tie rods were all bent. Paint looks good at a distance but close up you can see brush marks! She'll get a new coat next Summer. Tires are next new on the front, rears have cracking between the lugs. Good enough for me and what she'll be doing.

Well one leak fixed two to go I see. previous owner had drilled a hole in the cap on the back #2 control valve why? Here are a couple of pics of the buddy seat I made for rides. Got to put seat belts on yet and a grab rail and cup holders.

NEW TO ME 504 002.JPG

NEW TO ME 504 003.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Frank ( my daughter named the 504 ) has fried TWO electronic ignitions ! The first one was my fault hooked it up wrong. The second one lasted three days and while taking it to our club meeting tractor ride it fried the second one !  I think it might be a lack of ballast resistor , I thought the coil I bought had it built in maybe not. I'll do some checking before I install a new one.

• 6 months later...

Been waiting for some warmer weather to paint as I don't like painting in the shop so I made a hoop house to do it outside. Got it primed last Friday hope to put the red on it tomorrow.

wood processing 003.JPG

wood processing 004.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

So progress continues on ( Clive ) I opted for the name change ! I chose to paint to what I thought it should look like. ( 1206 ). Just have the wheels and fenders to do yet. Here are a couple of pics.

new to me 504 001.JPG

new to me 504 002.JPG

new to me 504 003.JPG

• Like 7

...looking good, Augercreek  !!..I happen to be  a fan of the ol'504 Farmall .. 

...now  if ""Mr Plow "   …..(check     "Best looking IH    tractor "    on IH  Forum...)….gives you grief over the looks of the Farmall  504...we may have to bring it to the attention   of "B.J.".....

...it almost  comes under   """Age  Discrimination".:rolleyes::)..entirely    unacceptable  on this site …...

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

….Augercreek……...those big rear mudguards.....were they off a 504...??...or some other IH tractor...I notice them on someone else's  504......our two both have the type  like on your first pics of your 504...….''clam shell ''   I believe they are called

…..The tractor looks very nice  !!

Mike

• Like 1