Coming home tonight from the truck. See headlights off in the distance. He's flashing me. I slow down, get almost to him and Bam cattle on the road/in the ditch just off my right side. About 30 black heifers were out and he was trying to put them back in. Damn black cattle don't reflect they absorb light. I helped him put them back in. I drive through some open range on the way home so always on the look for cattle on the road anyway not to mention deer. I'm only usually going 30 or 35 at night so not a big deal. But, not everyone drives like me. Set me to thinkin, what if ear tag makers mixed a little glass or something in with the plastic. Made them a little reflective. Would that help keep people from hitting cows/calves that were on the road? Don't know what it would cost, wouldn't be for everyone. I have lost cattle on the road (open range), and this guy just lost a big steer calf a couple of weeks ago. Just one of the dumb things that comes to my mind late at night. What do you think?

• Like 2

It might help in some instances, but unless you double tagged everything half the time the tag wouldn't show up anyway. I doubt that it would be worth the extra effort. I will be weaning calves soon on both sides of US83. I'm always concerned about them getting on the highway. Traffic runs pretty fast. If it wasn't for having good pens and sheds built up I'd move back in the hills somewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Coming home tonight from the truck. See headlights off in the distance. He's flashing me. I slow down, get almost to him and Bam cattle on the road/in the ditch just off my right side. About 30 black heifers were out and he was trying to put them back in. Damn black cattle don't reflect they absorb light. I helped him put them back in. I drive through some open range on the way home so always on the look for cattle on the road anyway not to mention deer. I'm only usually going 30 or 35 at night so not a big deal. But, not everyone drives like me. Set me to thinkin, what if ear tag makers mixed a little glass or something in with the plastic. Made them a little reflective. Would that help keep people from hitting cows/calves that were on the road? Don't know what it would cost, wouldn't be for everyone. I have lost cattle on the road (open range), and this guy just lost a big steer calf a couple of weeks ago. Just one of the dumb things that comes to my mind late at night. What do you think?

Reflective tape on the tags would accomplish the same end as including reflective media in the plastic. Think fishing tackle you might even be able to find reflective tape for fishing tackle and make some prototypes.

And yeah, you might have to double tag to get both sides of the "single head of cattle", but is that cost negligible?

• Like 1

Be better off having a charlais cow in the heard lol

I think it would help having reflective tags, but agree with others it wouldn't be enough of a solution. Half the time the cows are standing facing away. 

• Like 1

Yeah, not a 100% solution. I get a lot of dumb ideas in the truck at night. Brain coming up with stuff to keep awake. You should hear the ones I don't post on here LOL😁😆😂🤣

That's a great idea. How many times do you look for them at night and they turn their heads away?

Double tagged reflective might work? Only way to know would be to contact someone who's in a position to do a study and find out.

Guy I knew at Ft Riley back in the 70's was out running the gravel roads one night. Knowing him? Most likely as fast as he could go. Out west of Wakefield KS he hit a cow in the road. From what we found out it was a full grown cow, he was driving a Pinto. He didn't survive. Don't know about the cow. He was dating a girl from up in that area.

Rick

Great idea sandhiller. I can see it now we are going to have to dot safety stripe all our cattle now. Run everyone through and stripe their heads and bellies

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Yeah, not a 100% solution. I get a lot of dumb ideas in the truck at night. Brain coming up with stuff to keep awake. You should hear the ones I don't post on here LOL😁😆😂🤣

You should hear the dumb ideas I come up with during the day!! 😂😂

• Haha 1

When I was a junior in high school two of my friends and I left town one night at about 11 pm .

We were each riding a  Kawasaki  KZ-900 . 

My buddy had a passenger and I was riding solo. 

Eddy had on a Jean jacket with four bottles of beer in the front chest pockets , two on each side. 

We took off down highway 15 headed north of Dorchester in the usual fashion WFO and Eddy was in front in the right lane and I was on  his left passing him. 

He hit a black angus right square in its neck as it was coming out from the ditch

. It crushed the head light , folded back the mirrors and blinkers , shaved him and his passenger right off the back of the bike . I didn’t even know what happened untill I noticed they were no longer behind me . 

When I turned around to see what had happened it was a Gruesome  sight . 

They both survived but his passenger was never the same . His bike had a back rest and he took it with him on the way off the back.  Eddy had crushed glass embedded into his chest from those beer bottles  in his front pockets . 

They Never even knew what they hit .

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

When I was a junior in high school two of my friends and I left town one night at about 11 pm .

We were each riding a  Kawasaki  KZ-900 . 

My buddy had a passenger and I was riding solo. 

Eddy had on a Jean jacket with four bottles of beer in the front chest pockets , two on each side. 

We took off down highway 15 headed north of Dorchester in the usual fashion WFO and Eddy was in front in the right lane and I was on  his left passing him. 

He hit a black angus right square in its neck as it was coming out from the ditch

. It crushed the head light , folded back the mirrors and blinkers , shaved him and his passenger right off the back of the bike . I didn’t even know what happened untill I noticed they were no longer behind me . 

When I turned around to see what had happened it was a Gruesome  sight . 

They both survived but his passenger was never the same . His bike had a back rest and he took it with him on the way off the back.  Eddy had crushed glass embedded into his chest from those beer bottles  in his front pockets . 

They Never even knew what they hit .

A young guy from the area got killed the same way in the early 80s. He was married and moved out to oil patch for work. He had a can of beer in each pocket wrecked his motorcycle. Gossip always was the beer can shoved up under his ribs. He hit a deer or small animal.

I think it's a good idea; can't see any downside to it.

• Like 3

drove across the Neveda desert at night in a semi. later a guy told.me how lucky i was. seems that the cows.lay on highway at night where its warm to escape the cold of nite

11 hours ago, sandhiller said:

It's not a dumb idea at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

drove across the Neveda desert at night in a semi. later a guy told.me how lucky i was. seems that the cows.lay on highway at night where its warm to escape the cold of nite

Open range is a different animal (pardon the pun) We have county roads that way but thankfully our highways are fenced off. Can't imagine having cows "laying" on the highway as one more thing to watch out for. I would guess they don't see the traffic out there that we see here and drivers adjust accordingly. 

I've got a couple dumb ideas for similar products, but I'd like to look into having them produced before i'd talk about them.

I worked for a division of unocal for a while, they made you sign papers stating that whatever you invented working there essentially belonged to the company.

4 hours ago, nelson jr said:

I've got a couple dumb ideas for similar products, but I'd like to look into having them produced before i'd talk about them.

I worked for a division of unocal for a while, they made you sign papers stating that whatever you invented working there essentially belonged to the company.

I think truthfully the market would be very small. Probably not worth it. Just thinkin'. Wouldn't it be nice if ear tags had some reflective ability. Just enough to catch your eye if hit with a headlight. Maybe it would save a few animals, vehicles, lives.

• Like 1

If I did get these I’d want them like a Ritchey tag so you could still engrave numbers in them. Great idea actually 

On October 12, 2019 at 7:21 AM, db1486 said:

Be better off having a charlais cow in the heard lol

I think it would help having reflective tags, but agree with others it wouldn't be enough of a solution. Half the time the cows are standing facing away. 

That's a dumb idea, everyone knows Angus tastes better and anything with a black hide is Angus.🙄

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

That's a dumb idea, everyone knows Angus tastes better and anything with a black hide is Angus.🙄

That's why I said A charlais cow in the herd. Only need one. If theres a cow out, it'll be the white one 😂😂

All joking aside, we have white ones mixed in our herd and they're always the first to see when checking them in the dark. Once you find the find the white one the rest are close by