Sign in to follow this  
sandhiller

Big cat

Feed man said he saw a BIG big cat in the pasture bout 300 yds above my house last night. Won't have time to run pastures till Sunday morning. He didn't bother my fall pairs which are still on the river at home. But I've got 350 spring pairs out south and that's the direction he was headed. Hope he veered off and headed to my Happy Jack pasture that is empty right now. Neighbor said they're still seeing wolf tracks bout two miles west of me. Long for the days of just coyotes and bobcats. Was going to set up some trail cams to catch the Elk that's been leaving tracks on the road above my house every night, now I've got a bit more incentive.

Definitely not something you want around livestock. There have always been rumors of a big cat around home but they don’t have tracks or pics to back it up. The big cats run such a huge “home area” that people two towns away could theoretically see the same cat. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Definitely not something you want around livestock. There have always been rumors of a big cat around home but they don’t have tracks or pics to back it up. The big cats run such a huge “home area” that people two towns away could theoretically see the same cat. 

Seem to remember reading somewhere, mountain lion has a range of 60 to 80 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong but I know they can cover a big scope of country.

Have had 6 sightings ( in 30 years) of a big cat and we are in a state that denies it is here 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bitty said:

Have had 6 sightings ( in 30 years) of a big cat and we are in a state that denies it is here 

They don’t exist here either according to DNR

50 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Seem to remember reading somewhere, mountain lion has a range of 60 to 80 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong but I know they can cover a big scope of country.

I always heard 35miles but either way that is a big range to run.  Available food and terrain may dictate that a little also  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

My brother in law is a commissioner for the Nebraska game and parks , that’s one of the reasons we use our mule’s to check on the big horn sheep population in the fort Robinson area . He is also closely involved with a wildlife biologist from that area that keeps track of the mountain lions that have been trapped and fitted with tracking collers . To my supprise , they have proven the range of some of these lions is way further then what we used to think.  That old theory of 60 to 80 miles has been disproven . Although some of the females my not wonder quite so far as the males they have proof of a male lion that went all the way to the east coast and back . He made a fairly straight bee line across the northern United States with out getting too far south. Another lion made a diagonal journey across Nebraska , Missouri and Illinois before they lost contact . Presumed dead  or coller failure. 

By the way, Nebraska now has a lion hunting season and are no longer denying the fact that there is a breading population that’s growing in numbers. 

And NO , the Game and Parks DID NOT Secretly introduce them to help control other wildlife as some conspiracy theory’st  have suggested . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

My brother in law is a commissioner for the Nebraska game and parks , that’s one of the reasons we use our mule’s to check on the big horn sheep population in the fort Robinson area . He is also closely involved with a wildlife biologist from that area that keeps track of the mountain lions that have been trapped and fitted with tracking collers . To my supprise , they have proven the range of some of these lions is way further then what we used to think.  That old theory of 60 to 80 miles has been disproven . Although some of the females my not wonder quite so far as the males they have proof of a male lion that went all the way to the east coast and back . He made a fairly straight bee line across the northern United States with out getting too far south. Another lion made a diagonal journey across Nebraska , Missouri and Illinois before they lost contact . Presumed dead  or coller failure. 

By the way, Nebraska now has a lion hunting season and are no longer denying the fact that there is a breading population that’s growing in numbers. 

And NO , the Game and Parks DID NOT Secretly introduce them to help control other wildlife as some conspiracy theory’st  have suggested . 

I bet they  got pushed out of western SD and North Dakota badlands as population increased. I am guessing some came from the mountains  out west also.

• Like 2

last time there was a thread on here about big cats, I went to Youtube and looked up mountain lion screams, and it honestly scared me. That is the single most awful natural sound I've ever heard. Sounds like pure evil. I actually saw in the comments (take them for what they're worth) that someone who'd worked in a national park somewhere used to often deal with visitors who said they heard a woman being attacked in the woods. They'd have to go check it out every time.

• Like 1

8D6DCB92-F9D7-4363-ABD7-AA2E73941E0E.jpeg.8820386cbb7c1ee64b0ee894c019b3f1.jpeg

lots of these showing up now .

• Like 1

Friend of mine that did damage control trapping in Montana, told me when they reintroduced wolves to Yellowstone that started big cats moving.  The lion population in Yellowstone was at capacity and the wolves pushed them out.  States on the west coast with anti trapping and anti hunting regulations are no doubt going to add to the problems.  Population reaches capacity,  and they will spread out, somewhere.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nelson jr said:

Friend of mine that did damage control trapping in Montana, told me when they reintroduced wolves to Yellowstone that started big cats moving.  The lion population in Yellowstone was at capacity and the wolves pushed them out.  States on the west coast with anti trapping and anti hunting regulations are no doubt going to add to the problems.  Population reaches capacity,  and they will spread out, somewhere.

Wild fires a few years ago in Canada and Montana plus northwest pushed a lot of animals east . We started to see a few bear here and more moose and elk

• Like 2

Got a picture of this in my hemp field.  Too big to be a house cat.  I remember hearing the screams back in the 70's as a kid while deer hunting.  It would raise the hair on the back of your neck!

Resized95Screenshot9520190902-07444195SPYPOINT95LINK.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Got a picture of this in my hemp field.  Too big to be a house cat.  I remember hearing the screams back in the 70's as a kid while deer hunting.  It would raise the hair on the back of your neck!

Resized95Screenshot9520190902-07444195SPYPOINT95LINK.jpg

Here kitty, kitty!!! 

He looks big!!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I agree they didn't secretly introduce them, but they did a darn good job of helping spread the theory.  Our local c.o. was famous for denials.  His usual response was there aren't any big cats I. NE and what you saw was a bobcat or coyote.  He was involved in several rather heated arguments including a few with me. He would even dispute game cam footage. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dale560 said:

I bet they  got pushed out of western SD and North Dakota badlands as population increased. I am guessing some came from the mountains  out west also.

Believe we have a couple 2 or 3 established breeding pairs out by Chadron. Pretty sure they came from the Black Hills. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Those are the stories I have heard also. They get collars up north and in a short time they are in Oklahoma and Texas following creeks and rivers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nc1112 said:

I agree they didn't secretly introduce them, but they did a darn good job of helping spread the theory.  Our local c.o. was famous for denials.  His usual response was there aren't any big cats I. NE and what you saw was a bobcat or coyote.  He was involved in several rather heated arguments including a few with me. He would even dispute game cam footage. 

Lots of politics involved surrounding the subject .

Lets assume the Ne game and parks did introduce them, then some three year old gets pulled off her swing set by a lion , guess who is suddenly liable .  To this day there is still people that will say they don’t exist here . Untill one pulls up a chair at the coffee house and orders a double espresso with carmal mocha there will always be the guys that say

“ oh you just saw a Coyote.”

Edited by lorenzo
Comment from a member with a masters degree in English
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They said we don't have Coyotes.

They said we don't have bears(except in the "mountains").

They said we don't get tornados.

Sorry if I think"they" are full of sh!t

• Haha 2

I think it is twice in Bismarck ND they had a young male in town. They locked down the grade schools. The first one officials killed in a culvert outside a Home Depot store. About a month ago on the Canadian border one was spotted in a small town warnings went out to kids walking home from school.

• Like 1

How tall is the stubble in that hemp field?  Colored like a red fox, or red phase coyote.

57 minutes ago, nelson jr said:

How tall is the stubble in that hemp field?  Colored like a red fox, or red phase coyote.

I too was trying to figure out what but it certainly looks like a cat shape, tail looks much longer than a bobcat . 

• Like 1

Looks like a young one. 

Not every mountain lion is a full grown adult . Although it could be a chupacabra. 

• Like 1

My family usually kills a couple lions a year. Dogs are needed. Grandson with first one when he was 12.

IMG95201401259512554157595HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Lions around here. they will kill calves but usauly hunt down rabbits and other small game. I look up in the trees as they lay up in the branches. Caught a few on trail cams. neighbor hunts them with dogs but doesnt kill them. at nite cruising our little town. keeps the stray cats at a manageable population. I watch for them on the ranch as they can quietly snaek up.on you especially when you are on your knees fixing something

• Like 1

The trail cam picture is a grey fox, took another look at it. Dark or black face, dark front legs, dark top side of tail, typical coloration in grey fox. Greys are kind of short so stubble is probably pretty short also.