Sign in to follow this  
sandhiller

NDOR on the ball

Been driving through this all summer

IMG_20190918_182825417_HDR.thumb.jpg.c8946659694e7119c290738e340116dc.jpg

Feeble attempt at pumping water off

IMG_20191001_164211316_HDR.thumb.jpg.ea47b2642cf017c032eb1183ec7f6db7.jpg

Finally started work in earnest. Laying down asphalt millings in the water. Thinking they should have done this during August before the water table started rising when it was hot instead of 20° at night. It is better. 40 mph instead of 18. Will it stand up to the heavy traffic HWY 83 gets this winter?

IMG_20191011_133334470.thumb.jpg.2c51d07d5351b29ef985d2fc7167d882.jpg

I tried giving my opinion this summer to road superintendents but thanks to caller ID, they quit taking them😢

Looks like my career as Ice Road Trucker may have washed out.

😆😆😆😆

Question is, what will a snowplow do to it???

Mike

2 minutes ago, mikem said:

Question is, what will a snowplow do to it???

Mike

Think that is one the great unknowns. Think the big trucks will keep it broke up. 

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Think that is one the great unknowns. Think the big trucks will keep it broke up. 

Asphalt millings will stay loose untill they get heated up by the sun , it probably won’t happen till next summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Asphalt millings will stay loose untill they get heated up by the sun , it probably won’t happen till next summer. 

That was my thinking, could be dealing with those stop lights all winter. And they will be repairing all winter.

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

That’s correct!! Millings are great, if you can get heat on them to pack!! 

• Thanks 1

If that isn't heaving all winter that will suprise me........might wish you were on smooth ice.

I think you will be pleasant surprised. I agree, summer would have been the time to do this but our road department (I'm one of their engineers :) ) has pretty good luck with millings. They should be rolled with a rubber tired roller because a steel drum can bridge over the packed grader tracks although the grader can do the same thing if they "work" it back and forth. If they didn't mill a butt joint at the permanent pavement, that will keep raveling :( . If I was giving direction I would have placed ASTM 2 crushed rock to the water level then a layer of fabric topped with 6-8 inches of millings.. The rock lets the water do it's thing, draining down hopefully.

Here's a photo of a test section I engineered this summer. It's an old railroad grade being converted to a non-motorized path.  The question was should we use 6 inches of HMA millings (screened to 100 passing the 1/2 inch screen for bicycles) or 3 1/2 inches over the coarse rock? That's 3 1/2 inches ( plus or minus a 1/4 inch) rolled with a rubber tired roller  That live bottom has 40,000 lbs of millings on board with 3 lift axles up. I calculated that the 2 drive axles have 25,000 lbs + on each axle. He's made a couple passes back and forth and did not leave a mark. I couldn't mark it trying to spin my tires or hard braking.  It packed tight just rolling it.

Winter time, we remove the 2 front lift axles and install a under-body scraper and 1 or 2 rear mounted wings (1 rt for any road or 1 lt and rt for freeway work). The truck can carry enough salt to treat 100 miles of 2 lane freeway, (50 miles both directions). Summertime, they haul gravel and hot mix asphalt

IMG_0047.thumb.jpg.8013319142ce18ebea7e8d064b1d6e30.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Raildudes dad said:

I think you will be pleasant surprised. I agree, summer would have been the time to do this but our road department (I'm one of their engineers :) ) has pretty good luck with millings. They should be rolled with a rubber tired roller because a steel drum can bridge over the packed grader tracks although the grader can do the same thing if they "work" it back and forth. If they didn't mill a butt joint at the permanent pavement, that will keep raveling :( . If I was giving direction I would have placed ASTM 2 crushed rock to the water level then a layer of fabric topped with 6-8 inches of millings.. The rock lets the water do it's thing, draining down hopefully.

Here's a photo of a test section I engineered this summer. It's an old railroad grade being converted to a non-motorized path.  The question was should we use 6 inches of HMA millings (screened to 100 passing the 1/2 inch screen for bicycles) or 3 1/2 inches over the coarse rock? That's 3 1/2 inches ( plus or minus a 1/4 inch) rolled with a rubber tired roller  That live bottom has 40,000 lbs of millings on board with 3 lift axles up. I calculated that the 2 drive axles have 25,000 lbs + on each axle. He's made a couple passes back and forth and did not leave a mark. I couldn't mark it trying to spin my tires or hard braking.  It packed tight just rolling it.

Winter time, we remove the 2 front lift axles and install a under-body scraper and 1 or 2 rear mounted wings (1 rt for any road or 1 lt and rt for freeway work). The truck can carry enough salt to treat 100 miles of 2 lane freeway, (50 miles both directions). Summertime, they haul gravel and hot mix asphalt

IMG_0047.thumb.jpg.8013319142ce18ebea7e8d064b1d6e30.jpg

That looks great! The right way! We got "just get something done". Bladed with Road Patrol and packed with dump trucks and passing vehicles. (they didn't close the road). 40mph over dry sure beats 18mph through the water. Hope you are right and it stands up to abuse this winter. I'm ready for those ding dong stop lights to be removed and back to two way traffic. Not real optimistic but fingers are crossed.