Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Ya don't mess with Mother Nature......

Since this side of the planet seems to be a bit damp I thought I'd add a bit more doom and gloom..

Had to head 30 miles west today  and then north on I-29, then back down the other side of I-29 to CB for the first time in a year.

I know everybody here has had a bad year and am not trying to make this sound any worse than where you are. But..... those poor guys. There were white caps in the fields, and the edge of the highway looks like you are driving along a surf zone. Only the top 3 or 4 inches of the fence posts are viewable. And this is thousand and thousands of acres for miles and miles. Imagine $10-12K+ an acre / 250+ bpa all under 4 feet of water. I-29 gets closed every time we get a shower.  Today Iowa Hiway Dept. was salting I-29 in a few stretches because the water was splashing on the hiway and freezing. Earlier this year everyone was talking about these folks on the Missouri River bottom not getting a crop in. He!!, from what I saw today it will be 2 or 3 years before they could even consider it. SD and ND are already getting snow. Snow melts in the spring, water flows downhill. Farmers are a resilient bunch of optimists, the water will go down someday. They'll just wait it out. I'm sure I-29 from CB south is no better, I know 29 was  completely washed away down by Nebraska City this summer.

It's amazing what Mother Nature will do if she gets pissed.

Sorry no pictures. Maybe IHRon can snap a couple the next time he heads to Omaha Packing I'm assuming he comes down 29.

• Sad 1

Yep, all around sad deal this year!! I’m in east central MN, no snow here, but so wet, we can’t do a d@mn thing here either!! 

My chunk of Nebraska, beautiful low wet hay Meadows. Maybe 2 or three dry years before the water table goes back down so they be utilized to their God given potential again. No one knows, no old timers ever seen it this wet before. 

In this area a few guys have been able to pick just enough soybeans  and corn to get the combine adjusted before it rained again . Already got the combine stuck deep enough to bend the ladder . Took a cat to get it pulled out . Now we’re all sitting around twiddling our thumbs again waiting for it to dry up . 

• Sad 1

Haven't even dug stuff out yet. Maybe later this week. A friend has some late planted corn to chop. Finally ready but mud....might be putting the 2+2 on the chopper this year.