Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Bulletproof

We all think we are.

Well, maybe we all like to THINK we are.

ihrondiesel`s topic about his recent diagnosis struck me profoundly.

I, as many, get up everyday locked and loaded to do what we want/have to do without giving much thought to our own  mortality.

Things can change in a heartbeat.

We become apathetic about how "durable" we are.

I have found myself over the last year or so that my kevlar vest is not impenetrable.

We try to do what we can to take "care" of ourselves.... when it`s not inconvenient.

I never read ihrondiesel`s "bull rack" topic till last night at 3am because I couldn`t sleep for whatever reason.

He pushes himself and HARD to provide  for his family and a service to both his cattle AND his customers.

Now, those cows will get moved and others will fill in during his absence.

Life will go on as he sits in a hospital awaiting a game plan.

I can imagine his fears and concerns, as I have experienced, about what life will bring.

It is SO refreshing to read all the good wishes and prayers from many complete strangers to this hard driving man/member.

I guess what I`m saying, as many have said on here before, TRY to take care of yourself. 

We, none of us, are the man we used to be and are not, in any way shape or form.....

bulletproof.

This is to ALL on here that are in a weakened state, you have many concerned/caring "strangers" here on Red Power.

Try, if you can, to not crawl under a rock when things get rough. We all, no matter how "tough" we think we are, need our friend`s support and prayers.

Quite a place imo.

• Like 7

You make a great point MTO. Never ceases to amaze me how many offer support when someone is going through a rough time.

I know I'll probably get laughed at by some on here, but I'd like to throw mental health in there to 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it's mortality or not. I always figured I'll work till I'm dead. Retirement is for other people. The idea of long term something in between working hard or dead never hit me until recently. Don't much like that idea.

I'm not sure if it's the times or what but I've never been busier trying to keep head above water. Oh, we're comfortable but we never take a vacation or even a night out to eat. Wife and I can't get a few hours off at the same time to even run in to the bar for supper. Maybe it's the lifestyle and work we've chosen.  Wife always tells me your never "off". Between the ranch, shop, truck there is no free time. I promised to take Sunday's off this summer to go fishin or something but it didn't happen. It's easy to say I'm going to slow down and enjoy life more but it's harder to do. 

I fully agree with everything you said and seeing that picture of IHrondiesel in a hospital bed is a wake up call. 

Slow down before something like this slows you down. 

When asked when my wife will retire, she jokes "oh, I'll probably work up till noon on the day of my funeral" But it really isn't that funny. 

I"ve been saying "I've got another 30 years left in me" for the last 20. The 30 never changes. 

Writing this as I scarf down a quick dinner so I can jump in the truck to run hard over the weekend to make up for the two days hauling I missed because of the storm. 

1591146625_successwork.jpg.bd03c17bb4ceb99000eae840bd6bbe31.jpg

• Like 5

Nobody has ever said they wished they would’ve worked harder or went to the office a little more.....

• Thanks 1

The biggest take away from the last year /dad passing is id rather have to work into retirement age and live a little more now, see what I want to now... Travel now vs. Squirrel away for the day to come that could be taken so fast...i know it's hard to do but life is better lived in the now...

Take care of yourself. You only get one life and no guarantee on days...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Nobody has ever said they wished they would’ve worked harder or went to the office a little more.....

Those with no pot to pi$$ in do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MTO said:

Those with no pot to pi$$ in do.

No they let us taxpayers take care of them....

• Like 2

Thanks, Mark. This has been a wake up call to me as you can all imagine. Oh, I’ve tried to be a better Dad—I made it to three football games this year, and I try not to say “No” to my kids when they want me to do something with them. But yeah, when fall hits, it’s balls to the wall day in & day out. Thanks for taking advantage of my current condition to remind others. 

• Like 1

I don't mind coming out from under a rock, but I just hate trying to get out from under a boulder that someone shoves on you and watches.

I always enjoy taking the kids or wife with me to spend time with and teach at the same time.  

A good work ethic is taught, a couch potato comes by itself.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, IH766 said:

You make a great point MTO. Never ceases to amaze me how many offer support when someone is going through a rough time.

I know I'll probably get laughed at by some on here, but I'd like to throw mental health in there to 

Nothing to laugh at about mental health issues 

It only took me 60 years to find this out!

so true, Mark. I had lots of time to think about stuff when I was laying around in the hospital 3 years ago after the chopper chewed on my leg. then got healed, and promptly forgot most of it. trying again now, somewhat.

What everyone has said is so true. I know bad about working and helping others  ( When someone asks for help I just can't say no  )     I fail to go to Doctor for for check ups and don't take no time off.. Itry and do things with wife and daughter and take them with me if work allows to.  Gues we all need to try and take more time for our family and our health.

Mental health is being 1% tougher than what you are facing. So never give up!

I hate doctors but there comes a time to listen, swallow ones pride and get it done.

I seen RPRU2019 as well as the Rocky Mountains and Salt Lake this summer.

100 years from now, no one will care that I went on vacation.

You can go on vacation and then hit it hard when you get home. YOU CAN DO BOTH!

When you are taking that long dirt nap, the kids will usually turn everything you worked for into cash and move on.

I'm going to spend a bit of the inheritance.

My moms dad and brother worked hard all their life. Neither made 60. Heart attacks. Dad busted his arse all his life too. Barely made 63. Brain cancer. I'm hitting 53. Stay home now taking care of my 72 year old mom who has colon cancer. No...I dont have a very good out look on life. Single with no kids. Yes.. i have depression and anxiety daily. I have a little retirement built up and probably mom will leave me pretty well. I think I will be comfortable but this dang inflation has me pretty concerned. Anyway I am semi retired and hope to stay that way. I'm not rich but get by.

Remember Dad had a coffe cup with "Relax,it's later than you think" printed on the side. Good advice but hard to do.