Pete1468

1020 auger woes

I had 10 acres of beans left for the neighbor and this happened. 

A shop an hour away wants $2950 for an exchange one.  Does anyone else have a remidy for the auger breakage?

KIMG0428.JPG

• Sad 1

Weld it up it will get your 10 acre done we’ve had them straightened before don’t think that was to bad 

Neighbor is finishing it if I run grain cart for him tonight.  Sounded like a win win for me!

I sold my whole head with air reel for 5k. 3k seems a little steep for just the auger 

8 minutes ago, dumbfarmer said:

I sold my whole head with air reel for 5k. 3k seems a little steep for just the auger 

That's what my first impression was.

2 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

I had 10 acres of beans left for the neighbor and this happened. 

A shop an hour away wants $2950 for an exchange one.  Does anyone else have a remidy for the auger breakage?

KIMG0428.JPG

Wow never seen an auger break like that did it have a crack before you started ? those are usually pretty tough I'd look into welding a  a steel band around it 

One thing I learned on the combine trail, most problems can be fixed with a portable MIG welder and a torch.

53 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Wow never seen an auger break like that did it have a crack before you started ? those are usually pretty tough I'd look into welding a  a steel band around it 

No I've heard of several doing it and the shop I called had 2 on hand, early and late model ready to go.  I'm tempted to pull it out and weld it but that may be a spring project.  I'm not out anything.

25 minutes ago, superih said:

How wide a head?

30ft, full finger.

Are you sure that isn't supposed to be green? Sorry, I couldn't help it. Never seen one just break without some kind of foreign material to help, such as a tree log. At least it was the last ten acres.:D

• Like 1