Steve C.

Missouri bears

This video was shot in Gentry County, Missouri, not far from where I used to live.

Any of you north Missouri / southern Iowa folks seen any lately?

Haven't seen any bears but do have a mountain lion or puma on the place

odd that the bear would just kill it to kill it and not eat it, maybe it will float to shore and he plans to come back later for a meal

and no we have not seen one in person yet, neighbor had one on a game came about 5 yrs ago but nothing since - that was over in the winston/altamont area. I have not seen a mountain lion either but others have had them on game cameras as well. I have only seen 3 bobcats in my entire life in the wild and i have spent a lot of time hunting over the years. 

just last yr i shot a tom turkey that rolled/flopped under a barbed wire fence and around some cedars, i walked around the cedars where it was flopping around only to find a bobcat had taken it upon himself to try to steal my flopping turkey - i had to insist that the turkey was mine to get the bobcat to let go of it

• Haha 1

Hard to tell from video but i wouldn't think a black bear would attack a deer . The conservation dept. claims they eat nuts and berries and are harmless.

They killed more fawns in PA study than coyotes did 

38 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Hard to tell from video but i wouldn't think a black bear would attack a deer . The conservation dept. claims they eat nuts and berries and are harmless.

yea i have a lot of angst with the mo dept of cons - they fabricate things, deny things, exploit numbers, until we started running over mountain lions and bears and proving it to them on game cameras they denied they were here and always said they were just passing through - personally i believe they turned them loose to help try to control our population of deer because of so much money and damages from them and the insurance industry putting on pressures - CWD and Blue Tongue have taken their toll on them around here and our numbers have been down since 2012 - they never owned issues we reported about it either, of course just an isolated case - REALLY and when combining we find 20 head in fields.........and so do other farmers 

another case of not being able to trust the GOV'T and what they say

Thought that Missouri was the tigers 🐅,not the bears 🐻 

Maine is the Bears 

• Haha 1

Haven't seen one in person. Seen game cam  pics of some a couple of miles from the house. A couple of years ago coming home from work,half the town was by a conservation area. One had run pretty much through the middle of town and ran in there. They caught it later that evening. 

Maybe because it's dryer and all game has to drink not hard to get pictures of mountain lions in this country. But seeing one in the day time is screaming there are way to many of them. But the fine city folk think like Disney has told them,all animals are fuzzy little fluff balls just waiting to be petted. And now they have brought us wolves too. 

Cannot speak about bears,but have them not far away. And they come around but don't seem to be growing in population like the mountain lions and wolves are.

10 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

and no we have not seen one in person yet, neighbor had one on a game came about 5 yrs ago but nothing since - that was over in the winston/altamont area. I have not seen a mountain lion either but others have had them on game cameras as well. I have only seen 3 bobcats in my entire life in the wild and i have spent a lot of time hunting over the years. 

just last yr i shot a tom turkey that rolled/flopped under a barbed wire fence and around some cedars, i walked around the cedars where it was flopping around only to find a bobcat had taken it upon himself to try to steal my flopping turkey - i had to insist that the turkey was mine to get the bobcat to let go of it

Was that a lot like arguing with a woman?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Was that a lot like arguing with a woman?

uh no...........when the bobcat saw i had a gun it took off - but now that you bring it up, it probably wasn't the gun after all,  my looks probably scared it because by the time i had rounded the cedars i had taken off my headnet - i have scared off a woman or two in my day 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bears, we have them all the time. Out where my cattle are seems to be bear alley, especially spring. They come in to prey on the elk and deer calves/fawns. So far the bull has kept them at Bay. Cougars are on the rise again. Near by farmers have lost 4 elpaca to one, as well as a miniature horse from the barn. Must be an old one finding it hard to hunt. Here's a pic of a "neighbor" walking through the cow pen. It stayed around for a few months before leaving the area

IMG_1989.jpg

me and that bear would have a come to jesus meeting if it hung around my place that long 

Neighbor used to see panthers on his way home from bar! Quit going to bar and never seen another,

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

me and that bear would have a come to jesus meeting if it hung around my place that long 

Many have had that very same "conversation". And it seems, we take 2 out, 3 reappear. The odds there are against me. This one looks to be a "special" bear, and if I had any issues, we would have had to practice the 3-s's. (shoot, shovel, shut up). Then again, I do have an excavator in place of a shovel😄😄

No collars means they're nobodies pets!

Getting more mountain lion reports around here every year. Bobcat population has risen quite a bit too. Iowa DNR expanded the quota for bobcat but lions are not in their books yet. SSS.....

On 10/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, Steve C. said:

This video was shot in Gentry County, Missouri, not far from where I used to live.

Any of you north Missouri / southern Iowa folks seen any lately?

This past weekend I got to visit with the lady who took this video.  The bear killed the buck then went on his merry way.  Her husband used his boat to pull the buck out the next day.

Also heard of a couple of recent vehicle / elk collisions in that neck of the woods.