jdjd

Tractors that have a D239 diesel engine?

What all tractor models have a D239 engine in them? I have a good engine that i would like to drop in a different tractor from a hydro tractor that has a bad hydro.Like to know what all models to search for. Thanks...

5000/5500 Windrowers               TD8C and 125C Crawlers,     TD8E and 125E Crawlers            TD7E and 100E Crawlers            574,   674,   2500A,  2500B,  2510B,  2514B,  3500A

There may be others

Hi, D-239 is used in 544, 2544, 574, 674, 684, 695, 4210, 5000 and 5500 Windrowers and other industrial applications.

Also most installations with a D179 could easily have a replacement D239, same basic engine with an extra cylinder.

I wish I had a d239 in my 544

• Like 2

they almost direct swapped in a cummins 4B in the TD7G instead of the D239, plentiful, cost effective and easy to get parts for. just a thought. 

Before I got my original engine running S120 my dream with the old truck that is now my parts truck was to swap a 4bt Cummins into it and I had a fellow IH enthusiast recommend a D239 to keep it IH. Always thought since that point if I had deep enough pockets it would be cool to adapt one to a 5 speed manual and a mild turbo and run it in an old IH truck or Scout. Just a crazy thought someone brought up that I would love to do one day.

• Like 2

Just don't plan on going over 50mph.   An Ag diesel is governed at 24-2600 rpms, most old trucks that would get you to maybe 55.....   I know somebody that installed a JD 466 in a 1 ton Chevy dually--and thats about it!

Also321 Combine Harvester. (Europe)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Just don't plan on going over 50mph.   An Ag diesel is governed at 24-2600 rpms, most old trucks that would get you to maybe 55.....   I know somebody that installed a JD 466 in a 1 ton Chevy dually--and thats about it!

You can pretty easily change engine speed.... and rear end gears.  

The 6BT in the early Dodge trucks only ran around 22/2400. 

I'm with mmi.  Fix the hydro and sell the tractor.  Or just sell it with a weak hydro and move on.  Hydro tractors are pretty sought after.  Don't trash a tractor that someone would fix. 

Thanks for all the responses. Would my D239 engine bolt up to a 574 back half that was gas? Basically id be using my front half and a gas tractor rear half? My original tractor being a hydro version I realize that i would have to deal with a clutch setup, so also would the clutch setup from a gas tractor fit my D239? Thanks...

You would need the flywheel for the diesel

D239 was used from the 544 up through the 4210, about 20 years.  Had to be a really good engine or they never would have stayed in production that long.