Sign in to follow this  
bitty

4366 brakes

Looking at the 4366 the front rear look like it has the standard 9/1066 brake housing on it. The rear rear has a flat plate. Why didn't they put the standard 9/1066 style brakes on both axles and skip using the disk brakes in the center?

Would it be possible to put brakes on from the 9/1066? 

You could possibly do that with a few parts.  The late 4386 had brakes similar to the 1086.  I just thought these tractors were like combines and the brakes never work!  Thx-Ace

I have never heard of the 9/1066 brakes being that bad. Those disk brakes and rotors on the Steiger built tractors is the weakest link in our terrain. I will look at it closer over winter if I get time. We will make a new rotor (unavailable) and get new pads from Big Tractor Parts for now

I have a 3588 rear end for parts maybe we can adapt the wet brakes from that?  

When did you get the 4366. I have only ever seen the driveline brake on the 4366 and 4386 but know the late 4386’s had the same as 1086. Mine is a very early 4386

We just got it up near Orin in Hudson Falls. It may not be original. I have to research more but I think it might be updated to the lube pumped to the axle? There are two side by side hydraulic filters on the right side of the engine and then one filter on the left side of the engine that appears to be going to a cooler. We just pulled up to the shop to rewire it so it starts without jumping the starter . I will only be able to get it operational to roll (after no-till cover crop) if I am lucky as we are starting to chop ASAP once the weather cooperates slightly. I have some ideas for upgrades to the remotes and cab. Hopefully I get the time to complete it sooner than later

Let me clarify. I thought the 4366, etc tractors were like combines and don't have brakes. It was a joke but they seem to be problematic. The more I think about it the 1066 setup should work. Thx-Ace

• Haha 1

The brakes aren't great and I can tell you that