Norfolk and Southern

Someone sent me a video of the railroad bridge at Bruswick ,MO getting washed away by the Missouri River i don't know how to post it the amount of debris caught behind it is amazing.

I am sure one of you that is more computer educated can find and post it.

7 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

pre-collapse drone footage of log jam upstream

Well, at least they had ONE efficient clam operator. The one out in the middle was lost. 

Wouldn`t an excavator or 2 with grapples been much more usefull? 

Maybe none available.

Where did all that wood come from?

Timbering upstream and that`s all the leftovers?

Wow!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, MTO said:

Well, at least they had ONE efficient clam operator. The one out in the middle was lost. 

Maybe none available.

Wow!

Those clamshells sure had a monumental task before them. I agree that it seems like an excavator with a grapple would have been much better. 

Excavator doesn't have the reach that the cranes do - you can see this in the footage from the news coverage.

Grapple might have penetrated the jamb better, but I'd expect everything was packed in plenty tight.  Crane closer to shore had the advantage of working from an open face too.

Not sure you would get me out on the middle of the next one in the crane after seeing that one fail!

DavCut

Dad always said you can’t stop water 💦 

45 minutes ago, MTO said:

Maybe none available.

Wow!

Clearly a mistake , need some Michigan or Minnesota loggers with experience out there .  No clam shell bucket , I would called a halt to that  before they started out , sorry boys 

Crane w/ clam, excavator, anything else.

For the job that needed to be done whatever they did/could use would be like trying to drain Lake Michigan w/ bucket brigade.

4 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Boom & clam, excavator, anything else.

Whatever they did/could use would be like trying to drain Lake Michigan w/ bucket brigade.

a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

but as stated above, you wouldn`t have gotten ME on that bridge.

cluck cluck...

we lost a county road bridge on our proper back in the 70s due to this very thing, large log jam broke loose upstream and took out our bridge, it was a rectangular steal beam bridge with wood floor, it was a 250 foot with a clear span of about 125 of those feet, it was sad sad to see it go...........it tore the bridge loose from the bank on the far side and wrapped it around all of the trees on the upper bank allowing the jam to move on down stream, the bridge was ruined and the county never did anything about it. About 3 yrs later they hired a contractor to come cut it into pieces and haul it off for scrap  

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Maybe none available.

Wow!

The middle operator looks like me playing the claw game.

• Haha 1