How much swinging to mushroom a sledgehammer?

if you ever go to the carnival and pay to ring the bell they give you a crappy old mushroomed head hammer. One year dad rang the bell and the guy selling tickets said a few farmers had rang it. Dad told him if he had his sledge he would ring it all night long. Just one of the carnies tricks

For you sledge collectors,  this one was passed down to me, it was my grandfathers .  I have never seen another like it .  Coffee cup in picture for scale , it weighs 20 pounds . 

0E8BBA98-CB7A-4361-A0F3-55F562CDD91E.thumb.jpeg.4264a63605d432072693b34053ee1dee.jpeg8C9878EE-06FA-4608-9456-A2C26784019E.thumb.jpeg.5cceb2fdc2b5b264de0666aa50dd04a6.jpeg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

For you sledge collectors,  this one was passed down to me, it was my grandfathers .  I have never seen another like it .  Coffee cup in picture for scale , it weighs 20 pounds . 

0E8BBA98-CB7A-4361-A0F3-55F562CDD91E.thumb.jpeg.4264a63605d432072693b34053ee1dee.jpeg8C9878EE-06FA-4608-9456-A2C26784019E.thumb.jpeg.5cceb2fdc2b5b264de0666aa50dd04a6.jpeg

Looks like a hammer for driving wood posts, that must have been work.

8 hours ago, lorenzo said:

8 hours ago, mader656 said:

Looks like a hammer for driving wood posts, that must have been work.

Yup, post maul! I’ve hit a lot of posts with one of those! My Dad’s help were constantly over swinging the post and snapping the handles off. He got sick of it and welded a piece of pipe onto the maul head. No more broken handles 😂

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Yup, post maul! I’ve hit a lot of posts with one of those! My Dad’s help were constantly over swinging the post and snapping the handles off. He got sick of it and welded a piece of pipe onto the maul head. No more broken handles 😂

That just makes my hands and arms ring, thinking about over striking with a steel handled post maul.

• Like 2

I’ve seen mushroomed hammers, not in my toolbox though, I have had this 3 pound blacksmith hammer since I was 13, beat many a ball joint or rotor with it

image.thumb.jpg.c13e32f183b9c32488a049d1e5e472b7.jpg

It has had many an overstrike too, one tough mother with a steel handle 

I bought this Matco dead blow 3 pound ball peen a few years ago, it has taken over most of my hammer chores, when I hold it I think that this is how God feels when he holds a hammer, it’s a 16 inch wheel for reference 

image.thumb.jpg.5fb55fdb8fe721c01137e57955d03888.jpg

• Like 1

Watched several concrete guys around here drive home made 2x4 form braces.   They swing a good size sledge one handed.  I am lucky to not have enough experience to do that.  See them do it all day...  Most are from the far South.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, Ihfan4life said:

We have a couple of splitting mauls that way. We would use them to get some of the large pieces of wood smaller so it was easier to get to the log splitter. It got to the point we couldn't keep handles on them so one day Dad had me weld a pipe with a short piece of shaft inside just above the head for reinforcement. The other one is now known as the beast. Dad found a solid steel shaft the perfect size to fit the head. Welded it on. That added heft to it. It takes some effort to get it going but once you do if it's going to split. It'll split. Haven't broken either of those handles yet.

• Like 1

I have a true temper 10# American made sledge that came from Walmart about 10 years ago. I have over headed it on a lot of steel and concrete, no evidence of abuse except the handle where I missed the mark a few times.

My best guess is poor quality steel that was improperly hardened.

Re-built the North Park bridge in Grand Rapids in the early nineties.  Original steel truss structure built in 1903.  Demo'd one of the piers and put in a cofferdam for the footing and walls of a new pier.  When prepping for the new footing some hand cleanup after the demo was needed.  Under the old footing I found the head of a twelve pounder in perfect shape.

Took it home and put a short handle on it.  Quite the tool when you need mass in a hand held.  I like having a 116-year old sledge to use if only for its age.

• Like 3

Found this one at the farm today, has a '16' on it. I assume that is pounds. When I was young it had a handle in it, don't remember ever using it though. I may re-handle it, don't know, doubt if I would ever use it.

IMG_0306.JPG

I would never buy a cheap hammer or sledge or even use a mushroom sledge, had a friend of mine die from a splinter coming off of it going right between two ribs and severing a main artery drop dead almost instantly

• Sad 3

I had a friend get metal in both eyes from a sledge, one eye bad enough luck but it was both.  He had to have lens surgery and was probably lucky not to have been left blind.

I love a good sledge, but can't keep a handle in one.  Seems like these new handles aren't made the same way or something, or hickory isn't hickory anymore.  I heard from a guy in the mountains, you can make handles from white hawthorn, I believe.  And never have to make another one.  It was white hawthorn or some similar tree, I can't remember so good anymore.

The 2 splitting maul handles i referred to. The first one is the light one . Pipe welded on with a piece of shaft inside the pipe up to the point im pointing to on the handle.

The second one is the beast. Solid steel shaft welded to the head.

20191206_091155.jpg

20191206_091237.jpg