Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Any reason to avoid a cam Superline 9 ton trailer?

I don't know the brand specifically but it looks like a nice trailer. If this is a replacement for your other trailer you posted about. This trailer looks to be much, much heavier. I think you will be disappointed if you try to pull it with a 1/2 ton truck.

• Haha 1

I like the way a triple axle rides. I assume you can't go gooseneck because of the utility body?

Well....

66B33B15-3CBD-48E8-8BEF-0889F4261ED8.jpeg

B0812879-74CC-4A3E-8843-A9186B7B4E46.jpeg

553C75B8-B01D-47D7-99E9-66FD98DBF650.jpeg

1) they work better with a ford in front of them

2) I think you lost the dump bed that you were hauling!!!

outside of those two things i think you should be fine

Trade off some stability by not having duals on it but also easier to get to tires when they go flat rather than an inside dual. More bearings/brakes to maintain with extra axles - 2 fewer tires though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Nice looking bumper pull trailer. You will like the triple axle. Short turns scrub a bit but not that bad. Hangers, shackles, equalizers, spring eye bolts? brakes? Should last you a long time. 

Somewheres down the road, these will be your friend

1482900492_trailerbedbolts.thumb.jpg.428104e26ba1de1be6037a7e996c762f.jpg

• Haha 1

Each to their own, but no way I would want a trailer that big on my bumper.  As far as I am concerned, if it has tandem axles it needs to go on the gooseneck ball.  I’ve had more queasy feelings pulling a  bumper hitch car trailer with a smaller mini excavator on it than with with a heavy loaded GN, be it grain, tractor, or bales.

I'd pull it with your C65, big truck.  We had a Miller tandem axle trailer at the Township Road Commissioner to haul the backhoe mostly. Not sure what a Case 530 Construction King TLB weighed exactly, probably 12,000#, and just having the big brakes, tires, and springs on the dump truck made for low stress hauling.  We lost the splines in the drive coupling for the main hyd pump on the Case about a mile north and a little east of our house.  Tractor sat along side the ditch for a day while we gathered parts. Boss went one way for the pump, I went the other for the coupler.  If we could have raised the loader and hoe we could have hauled the whole thing to a dealer for them to work on.  I bet that pump was expensive!

Guy I worked with at Farmall, and at the trucking company, then he worked at the first machine shop had a BIG Boat,  had a tri-axle trailer, rode smooth, tires wore well if you didn't turn really short all the time, plenty of brakes for most loads. Quick glance tells you condition of all 6 tires.

• Like 1

The main difference that big trailer will make is you won't be able to haul as much. If you stay under gcwr of your pickup. Trailer should have an easy life. I prefer GN also but since it looks married to your PU already, I'll say it looks like a good one. Happy miles😃

That was fast. You discuss the purchase with your wife like you discussed it with us? Just wandering if we'll be seeing another picture of your face swelled up. 😂  But seriously, that's a nice trailer. Congratulations.

• Haha 1

tri axles are great

be aware of how you load it for your tongue weight

meaning you have the ability to put weight on there that would, on a tandem, squish your bumper to the ground

so make sure you have enough tongue weight for traction and braking

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Each to their own, but no way I would want a trailer that big on my bumper.  As far as I am concerned, if it has tandem axles it needs to go on the gooseneck ball.  I’ve had more queasy feelings pulling a  bumper hitch car trailer with a smaller mini excavator on it than with with a heavy loaded GN, be it grain, tractor, or bales.

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

The main difference that big trailer will make is you won't be able to haul as much. If you stay under gcwr of your pickup. Trailer should have an easy life. I prefer GN also but since it looks married to your PU already, I'll say it looks like a good one. Happy miles😃

this is for the backhoe and for now will be towed behind the C65 with 427 and in future behind the GMC C7000 w 3208 cat. you all can relax, I won't be towing the back hoe with my 3/4 ton. but it sure as heck made a lot more sense to make a 160 mile round trip with the pickup than the dump truck. its got electric brakes and weights 5500 -6000 lbs. I was WELL within my tow rating. so cool your jets. 

I have the 5 ton I don't care for for the pickup Goose Neck trailers are permanently written off my dance card, all trailers must be towable by the utility truck, the dump truck  and the van too. 

I do like to be able to move the big trailer with the pickup, it sometimes gets used to move big stuff that doesn't weigh much, like long steel or conduit and cable for an underground service or perhaps staging,  while the 5 ton is tied up moving tractors or other equipment. also some places I'm just not really comfortable leaving something as easily theivable as a trailer, its nice to not have to drive the dump truck unnecessary miles just to move an empty trailer. 

4 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Trade off some stability by not having duals on it but also easier to get to tires when they go flat rather than an inside dual. More bearings/brakes to maintain with extra axles - 2 fewer tires though 

only way I see a ford working is if it had a stiff hitch for me to hook to the GMC, not sure how having the ford in the middle helps, but ill take your word for it. 

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Nice looking bumper pull trailer. You will like the triple axle. Short turns scrub a bit but not that bad. Hangers, shackles, equalizers, spring eye bolts? brakes? Should last you a long time. 

Somewheres down the road, these will be your friend

1482900492_trailerbedbolts.thumb.jpg.428104e26ba1de1be6037a7e996c762f.jpg

we drill the deck boards beside the cross members and use 2x1/4 flat stock drilled to make effectively a big washer to catch the edge of the channel cross member. then use carriage bolts to clamp it. saves drilling the crossmembers and makes it easier to swap in a board. 

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I'd pull it with your C65, big truck.  We had a Miller tandem axle trailer at the Township Road Commissioner to haul the backhoe mostly. Not sure what a Case 530 Construction King TLB weighed exactly, probably 12,000#, and just having the big brakes, tires, and springs on the dump truck made for low stress hauling.  We lost the splines in the drive coupling for the main hyd pump on the Case about a mile north and a little east of our house.  Tractor sat along side the ditch for a day while we gathered parts. Boss went one way for the pump, I went the other for the coupler.  If we could have raised the loader and hoe we could have hauled the whole thing to a dealer for them to work on.  I bet that pump was expensive!

Guy I worked with at Farmall, and at the trucking company, then he worked at the first machine shop had a BIG Boat,  had a tri-axle trailer, rode smooth, tires wore well if you didn't turn really short all the time, plenty of brakes for most loads. Quick glance tells you condition of all 6 tires.

spot on, its going behind the dump truck, our 580K with Ex-hoe and thumb weighs 16.5 K the TD-7G weights around 14 IIRC

1 hour ago, nomorejohndeere said:

tri axles are great

be aware of how you load it for your tongue weight

meaning you have the ability to put weight on there that would, on a tandem, squish your bumper to the ground

so make sure you have enough tongue weight for traction and braking

our last tri axle was a disaster, it was a bargain basement trailer to start with and it was 30 years old, couldn't keep tires on it, it was lightly sprung and heavily built, couldn't keep tires on it, had trouble getting decent 14.5x 8 tires and it was averaging around 5-600 miles per set (6 ) tires kept loosing beads, every other trip it'd blow a tire. I called a couple guys I know who have similar try axle trailers to this cam and they said no reason to not go tri, they all felt our old one was poorly designed. 

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

That was fast. You discuss the purchase with your wife like you discussed it with us? Just wandering if we'll be seeing another picture of your face swelled up. 😂  But seriously, that's a nice trailer. Congratulations.

well, after mother discovers there's another trailer in the yard I might have a swelled up face yet. we try to keep things moving there so its hard for her to keep track of what is new and whats just rotating through. after the tractor pull one year she looked around and asked dad, "how many of these are yours"? turns out 7😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

had to haul my buddies duramax to the shop on a trailer like that with my ford, that was a humiliating day for him but i took it easy on him cause i knew the bill that was coming 

not like my ford hasnt been hauled to the shop tho........ive owned them all and they all break no matter what emblem is on the hood - so are you going to get some springs added to the ramps or modify them or ? 

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

not like my ford hasnt been hauled to the shop tho........ive owned them all and they all break no matter what emblem is on the hood - so are you going to get some springs added to the ramps or modify them or ? 

They have spring assist. My friends fords have all had to be hauled behind my GM ... all of em. 

They all have their day but these last 2 GM trucks have given excellent service. 

good deal on the spring assist!!! enjoy that trailer and hopefully u dont have to haul any of your buddies home anytime soon

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

this is for the backhoe and for now will be towed behind the C65 with 427 and in future behind the GMC C7000 w 3208 cat. you all can relax, I won't be towing the back hoe with my 3/4 ton. 

Good bit of information to have. All relaxed, jets cooled. Back to worryin bout my own sh!t.🍻

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Yeah if you want to drive around with your front end in the air, unloaded.  ☺️ Every F250 I’ve seen that puts any type of trailer on immediately squats the back end.

nice trailer, I like it 

2 hours ago, drglinski said:

Yeah if you want to drive around with your front end in the air, unloaded.  ☺️ Every F250 I’ve seen that puts any type of trailer on immediately squats the back end.

nice trailer, I like it 

interesting ive never had any issues with mine  doing that - i guess folks dont know how to load a trailer 

• Like 1

The only rough spot on this trailer was the right outside main beam, I discovered the tires cracked on the way got, no surprise, I think they were original. Sent dad to middlebury for 6 new ones and a spare rim, while they were off I decided I’d clean up the rusty frame rail. I started with a needle scaler , if you have never had one you should , it’s a great tool. Then I broke down and dragged the sand blaster out. I did the whole length of the rail while I was at it, also while I had it out I cleaned up the bottom of the backhoe door so I can fix the rusty spot. I ran about 300 lbs of Black beauty, then about 300 gallons of water trying to wash it out of all my crevasses. Waiting for dad to get back with epoxy primer and yellow paint, want to shoot primer before I call it a night. 

F72A8ED9-F70D-4189-B230-59482D8FFDD5.jpeg

1B9C263B-E19A-493E-B5CF-27C3CDBCBF96.jpeg

EA1B5AF1-8817-40A3-8235-B29DB8277CBA.jpeg

F931AB79-6574-4E3E-AD5A-45D283770CE7.jpeg

C488E656-136E-4B8A-BF2D-3261557774C7.jpeg

E13819D1-6A3A-4B0C-8DE9-E4674CCED9A8.jpeg

0AAB5C0B-DEC3-4FFC-BE0E-CB99EE65CB58.jpeg

8D5B6607-B0DE-47BC-9410-EA69CD833D23.jpeg

667236CD-0A7D-41AE-BCC4-05BF0D276385.jpeg

• Like 1

3748DC38-4FA5-4A3E-8F13-D6163FEB99A9.jpeg

1990C848-7F0C-4308-BAA2-BFB8E6C5F2D2.jpeg

• Like 1

Great job! I see your smarter than me and use the proper material in your sand blaster. I bought a cheap sand blaster once and ran play sand through it. Then someone told me you can’t use sand for health reasons. They need to change the name!!

if the outside rails are that rusty, you know the inside is also. Flip it over with your backhoe and do every thing.

8 hours ago, MarkG said:

Great job! I see your smarter than me and use the proper material in your sand blaster. I bought a cheap sand blaster once and ran play sand through it. Then someone told me you can’t use sand for health reasons. They need to change the name!!

if the outside rails are that rusty, you know the inside is also. Flip it over with your backhoe and do every thing.

they aren't underside is clean as a whistle, as is the other side, it had a hydroseeder mounted on it, I don't know, but suspect that it worked off of this side, and there was a lot of blow back from the seeder, so crap piled up on there and never got cleaned off, had that look about it, was the bottom couple inches of the web and the bottom lip of the beam. its getting a new deck, so I probably will scuff things up under there and shoot it but this was really the only bad spot, worst behind the tires. 

• Like 1

Yesterday around noon the sun poked out, I figured I’d get a coat or two of yellow on the frame rail, I no sooner mixed paint and stepped outside and the sky opened up. 

Curses

today after work I figured I’d get a coat or 2 on, it’s kinda cold but no rain in the forecast. Sprays ok at 50 but I got a couple runs in the tricky spots, doesn’t matter on a trailer but I’m always trying to practice on this stuff so I don’t ruin the important things. 

F1106065-3F17-41EF-A500-239B67559D56.jpeg

2D48AB92-C589-46D7-9755-5717EAF0FE77.jpeg

• Like 1