MTO

CIH 895 no start

He ran it low on fuel, made it back to the shop, changed filters, refueled, pumped up fuel but when he cranks it , inj pump drains filters. 

Blew through fuel line to tank and seems clear.

Does it have a lift pump or tank screen?

Been told hand primer is also a mechanical fuel pump that feed inj pump. True?

When it drains the filters where is that fuel going? Returning to the tank? If the filters are draining then air must be entering prior to them like said above all lines intact? It takes between a pint and a quart of fuel to fill filters and deliver to the pump.

30 minutes ago, TomH said:

When it drains the filters where is that fuel going? Returning to the tank? If the filters are draining then air must be entering prior to them like said above all lines intact? It takes between a pint and a quart of fuel to fill filters and deliver to the pump.

Excessive priming needed to fill filters, it starts/runs and exhausts fuel in filters/quits.

He`s checking filter to tank lines for leaks now.

20 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

As far as I can tell primer pump is just that. Used on cab tractors.

Yes, cabbed tractor. 

And info I was given about primer unit being a mechanical pump was incorrect.

Seems like if you can fill the filters with the primer, the lines from the tank are okay... Makes things make even less sense.

12 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Seems like if you can fill the filters with the primer, the lines from the tank are okay... Makes things make even less sense.

He runs this thing out of fuel frequently on his steep farm and poor saddle tank design.

He said primer usually pumps up quickly but takes a LOT of priming now the get fuel out of bleeder.

Could be the primer pump has gone south.  

Could try if possible: using a suitable container for some fuel like a lawn mower tank if he has something like that. Run a line in to the inlet of the filters and see if it runs and keeps running. If not run directly to pump ( clean fuel  ️) If it stays running then likely fuel pump or something is screwed up with the filters. I am assuming at this point that all lines are clear including the return line.

didnt look which model of seat saddle tank....common suck side plugged fill side too low clean all associated lines fittings

will have a lot of extra fuel to re drain...but as test fill filler side up............ see if it runs ,rig tank at filters

only lasts so many times run without fuel and no lube in salt water fuel  could be close to rebuild time

Ref # 32 is likely the problem, however you need to make sure there isn't a suction leak on the vaccum side of system. Any fuel system will have a pressure and vaccum side, an it is always in the transfer pump. From say center on pump to tank is vaccum and from center of pump to injection pump is pressure. I like to use a fuel inlet pressure gauge. Pump up the system to 5 + psi and then watch your pressure it should fall off slowly, if it falls off quickly you have a bad check valve in transfer pump or a suction leak. 

https://partstore.caseih.com/us/HooberCH/parts-search.html#epc::mr68043ar852848

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Leak in line between tank and filters?

I had a 895 that would bleed off and be hard to start and I replaced lines from tank to filter a fixed the issue 

15 hours ago, MTO said:

He runs this thing out of fuel frequently on his steep farm and poor saddle tank design.

I was looking at the diagram last night that CIHTECH just posted, the cab tractors don't have the saddle tank like the fender tractors do and nor is there a primer pump. But that is true and I have done it myself once when mowing a slope with a 674.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:51 AM, CIHTECH said:

Ref # 32 is likely the problem, however you need to make sure there isn't a suction leak on the vaccum side of system. Any fuel system will have a pressure and vaccum side, an it is always in the transfer pump. From say center on pump to tank is vaccum and from center of pump to injection pump is pressure. I like to use a fuel inlet pressure gauge. Pump up the system to 5 + psi and then watch your pressure it should fall off slowly, if it falls off quickly you have a bad check valve in transfer pump or a suction leak. 

Gave him your advice, he brought #28 to shop today. Check valve. It was frozen shut. NLA via CIH. Found aftermarket tho. at Messicks. 

Thank you sir!

On 10/1/2019 at 5:51 AM, CIHTECH said:

Told him/sent him this advice.

He argued it couldn`t be plunger.

Saw him running tractor today.

Called him and asked what fixed it.

He said the $125 plunger.

Told him he was lucky because you usually charge THAT much for a consult. :lol:

Again, thank you sir.

Glad to hear its fixed. 

Wish I could charge that for consulting, I would put the old wrenches down and do it in a heart beat. I've about pulled on them long enough. 

?  #32 just a prime pump sucking air or does it do more?

4 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Glad to hear its fixed. 

Wish I could charge that for consulting, I would put the old wrenches down and do it in a heart beat. I've about pulled on them long enough. 

cheap rate seems to be $105 + H

mama went for inspection and they charged $85 for 2 marker bulbs $18 for license bulb $5 rags/water etc must be done NOW!.

wanted to charge $500 to replace 2 (1 stuck) rear calipers 2 h + on labor

said I would have to do it, $200 for the day was enough.

I had an extreme time getting 2H in.

spent 1 looking for  (no frame) jacks /stands tiny metric tools for the nonsense( different kid) so didnt need 6' breaker to get wheel nuts off this time.

took all new pieces apart lubed or NS ( they will be shoot in.....2 winters)

20 min waiting for pumper to bleed  15 m for test drive

2 hours ago, mmi said:

20 min waiting for pumper to bleed

Never anyone around here when I need a pedal pumper.

Have various length wooden rods I put on the pedal and slide seat ahead manual/electric seats and bleed, slide seat back/pump up/repeat. 

It`s rare I EVER have a pedal pumper!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTO said:

Never anyone around here when I need a pedal pumper.

Have various length wooden rods I put on the pedal and slide seat ahead manual/electric seats and bleed, slide seat back/pump up/repeat. 

It`s rare I EVER have a pedal pumper!

That’s the way I do it to

• Like 1