Hey got this machine up and running and it runs good. Only concern is torque converter temp gauge says runs all the way to far right. Not out of the green but I think u had a long hard push it would get past the green. Doesn’t slip or stop pushing just indicates too hot. I shot all hoses with a heat gun and 190 is hot as I can find a hose at converter but the big hose coming from pressure pump to filters  is 215 on inlet side of filters and 190 on exit side. Help 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got the hoses changed in the rear ended for the steering and put all back together. Tried it out and the steering is good. Machine sat for 11 years due to a blown hose 

Nothing like having an expert to point you in the right direction!!  Rocko to the rescue!

Posted Images

I think you are well in the safe range for temps ( based on other heavy equipment /dozers with T/C's

Where do your other big kittys run ?

Well to be honest all the others the gauge will stay right in middle of the green and only move up a little past 12 o clock on a long heavy push but no where near the check zone so I’ve never been concerned or had a reason to check the temps on them. I’m gonna get a gauge that has temp numbers on it instead of green and black so I will know what temps are. Just thought it was odd the oil going from pump to filters is hotter than oil coming from the converter going in oil cooler 

You've found the flaw in the cold/run/hot gauges, first off you have no idea of the actual temp, then if it's working correctly it will stay right at the run/hot line. Replace it with a real gauge, at least you'll know. I did on my 20, believe it was 250deg when I'd start to pay attention to it. 

Does this mean anything under 250 is acceptable??  Maybe a dumb question but as I aid earlier I’ve never had 1 run this warm with the style gauge that’s on it so I don’t know what’s safe

I would say yes, a lot would depend on oil type and quality, this info is hard to find and I just went by my dealers service manger who happens to be a friend and long time IH service tec and equipment owner, in other words someone I trust, I know I've seen 300 before. If it's never done this I'd say you got something going wrong, probably getting some slippage in the torque converter.....I just looked back and this is an E, that's a whole different setup and one I've only been into once, still be comfortable with 250.   

Our 25E runs in the green just a little max. Is your trans cooler on the engine plugged? The engine temp should get hot if the converter temp gets that hot. We had our cooler rebundled a couple years ago because it was leaking coolant into the rear end....what a b*tch!

My engine temp barely gets in the green on gauge. I put a manuel gauge on converter today and it would get to 230 on a push but drop back to 200 or so after push was over. I think it’s heats up too much but don’t know why. I’m thinking the pump on torque converter is weak but that’s just a suspicion. It pulls fine and don’t slip but will get warm. As for the engine I don’t think the thermostat works. Believe it’s hung open. Only concern I have is it’s cool weather here now. When it gets summer and the outside temp is 90+ I’m gonna cook something 

IIRC, there's a bypass/relief valve in the oil cooler inlet circuit to protect against high pressures maybe that could be stuck in bypass position? I can check the service manual when I get a chance unless you.ve figured it out already.....

I’ve not figured it out. I still suspect pump because it pulls and pushes and don’t slip any but after a couple hours when everything gets warm(hot) the clutch pressure will be lower than when u first start running it. First clutch gauge stays in the edge of the black to the right of normal and as everything heats up it falls back to the left of the normal. Talked to a guy from blue ridge and he suggested looking at the charge pump first( easier to get off) and have it checked and if that don’t fix it pull converter and rebuild it and while converter is off take oil cooler off and make sure it isn’t stopped up too. 

Isn't their a port to check charge pump pressure? If I remember right when you first start it up, the longer it takes to come up to pressure indicates charge pump problems.  Any slippage in the trans you should be able to tell, sometimes in the converter you can not and is likely where your problem is at. 

What's your sn? There's a break 1001 and higher. The below sn styling looks like a 25C.

The oil flows from the converter to the oil cooler then back to the transmission. Check that flow.

If the oil gets really hot, I suppose the pressure will drop some.

Doubt your converter is bad.

Did u check/clean the main suction screen filter canister on the RH side that are fastened by 4)3/8" bolts?  Or this one on the front of the transmission?

IMG_0068.thumb.jpg.83593224e3eac7c45596ec5af2b063be.jpg

This is what the service manual list for "high converter temps":

IMG_0067.thumb.jpg.641eff081b418a573d70f19f0a058a3b.jpg

Suction screen filter located on RH side of machine behind door:

IMG_0069.thumb.jpg.512c6fd6628eb45ed1d1c5297563206c.jpg

I should mention the last filter pictured strains a lot of crap before it goes to the pump. Clutch pressure will drop as this plugs, but you should also hear "oil starving noise" from the pump when it's plugged also.

#8 is the screen and #7 are 4) long magnets held around the screen by #6.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

The scavenger pump screen in the first pic strains oil that gets fed to the steering drive for lube. The big canister up on the right side is the trans pump screen 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 4:48 PM, Dmbess09 said:

4370002u001593

Looks like an 1982 model.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok questions again. Have ran this E enough now to know I got issues with transmission pump and or torque converter or both. Where would aluminum flakes be coming from getting in the suction filter?  A lot of them but small flakes. Checked transmission pressure and main pressure is 280 at low idle or high idle. Converter pressure will barely reach 30. Also sometimes while running it if u stop for a break or something and idle it all the way down it will sometimes loose main pressure all together like the pump looses prime. Was gonna take pump off and have rebuilt but wondered about converter since getting all the aluminum flakes in suction filter. 

1 hour ago, Dmbess09 said:

Ok questions again. Have ran this E enough now to know I got issues with transmission pump and or torque converter or both. Where would aluminum flakes be coming from getting in the suction filter?  A lot of them but small flakes. Checked transmission pressure and main pressure is 280 at low idle or high idle. Converter pressure will barely reach 30. Also sometimes while running it if u stop for a break or something and idle it all the way down it will sometimes loose main pressure all together like the pump looses prime. Was gonna take pump off and have rebuilt but wondered about converter since getting all the aluminum flakes in suction filter. 

I think you're on the right track (no pun intended). Hopefully someone who really knows will confirm it.

DWF