Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Why I hate Subaru

On 9/29/2019 at 6:29 PM, searcyfarms said:

yea the 6.0 has been a good truck and now with the prices of new ones it keeps getting better even though i have to have it worked on now/then - after i studded the heads and married it with a 6500/repair bill its been a lot better - first set of injectors at 220K - Its been used to pull quite a bit of stuff over the years, lots of horses, hay, skidsteers, tractors, heaviest its ever been was over 30Klbs most the time im around 20K when hauling things. 

first set of brakes with ball joints at 160K - Had it studded at 168K - just rolled 302K on it this wk, needs brakes and ball joints before next inspection - gets great mileage for an 8K+ lb vehicle and while its getting rust, its hanging in there, cant afford a 70K truck these days so its easy to justify dropping 1K in it 

Not to bash. But I have known plenty of "new" dodge 3/4 tons needed ball joints as well as axle u joints at 60,000. All have their flaws

My daughter has a Outback, in order to change out a front head light bulb you have to remove the inner fender to get at it to the cost of $143.00. NO THANKS !

17 minutes ago, augercreek said:

My daughter has a Outback, in order to change out a front head light bulb you have to remove the inner fender to get at it to the cost of $143.00. NO THANKS !

my wife was heading off somewhere I attempted to change the headlight without going in through the inner fender, by the time I was done I had the inner fender and underside skid plate removed in the driveway trying to retrieve the bulb I had dropped. neither of us were in a great mood. 

• Haha 1

sounds like me trying to get the battery out of my GP the first time, had to take the overflow tank for the radiator out, remove/lay over fuse box, take off strut stabilizer, good lord!!!!

as usual, no engineer EVER turned a wrench on a car they are morons sitting at desks admiring their pretty pictures on CAD

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

my wife was heading off somewhere I attempted to change the headlight without going in through the inner fender, by the time I was done I had the inner fender and underside skid plate removed in the driveway trying to retrieve the bulb I had dropped. neither of us were in a great mood. 

Sounds like our Nissan Armada.  I think the fender liners have to come out to remove the headlamp bulbs. Need to work on the exhaust manifolds (and you will need to sooner rather than later on the Armada)?  Step 1, jack up the front and remove the wheel, you will need to work through the fender liner. 😬

2 hours ago, augercreek said:

Have it taken to the dealer, due to a lawsuit the light bulbs are warranted for 1 million miles 

my wife has a 2011, I don’t want another, she is talking of something else next time. She has 62k miles and we just did brakes last week (front pads only) for the second time.  Been burning oil for 30k, and it wants the synthetic stuff, I am not so sure but whatever.  The dogs have really been hard on the interior, and it looks like crap

but she is happy, it gets good gas mileage and is sure footed,  I think it needs to be scrappped. 

6 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Been burning oil for 30k, and it wants the synthetic stuff, I am not so sure but whatever. 

We bought a new Nissan truck in 1992. I did all oil changes with full synthetic. Front seal started leaking at 30k miles. Replaced seal under warranty and new seal started leaking also. Changed to conventional oil and the leak stopped. We still have the truck and it does not leak a drop with conventional oil. Someone told me that the synthetic oil is so slick it can go past seals and rings. Might be why yours is burning oil.

29 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Been burning oil for 30k, and it wants the synthetic stuff, I am not so sure but whatever

Friend of mine has a Toyota RAV 4, she told me from basically from day one it’s been burning oil, every week she’d have to add oil, One time she asked me to check the heat shield that was rattling on the exhaust, while I was under there I told her that her rear differential had a leak that she should get fixed. When she went to the garage she mentioned to the guy that it burned oil regularly, he asked her are you using synthetic oil, she said yes and he said change to conventional and it will never burn oil again! So she did and ever since then she hasn’t had a problem with it burning oil! 

On 9/29/2019 at 8:53 PM, searcyfarms said:

it will be interesting to see how the subaru does long term - two wheel bearings in 100K miles ehhh not horrible, my GMs would go around 120K on the factory originals, the replacements would go 100ish. 

Exhaust was a bit of an aggravation - i expect that to crack again at some point. 

SFSG on the trannie - ours has the CVT - i was concerned about the CVTs after the ford fiasco with theirs so i consulted a friend who is a trannie mechanic and is certified on Chevy/Ford/Chrysler/Jeep/Toyota/Nissan and said the nissan - subaru CVTs are ok, nothing like the fords. He said he was not afraid of them at all. 

My favorite car to date has been the ford escape and fusions, I drive many cars due to my work and have them until around 80 to 100K when the fleet co gets rid of them. 

We have had everything from the little cracker box Fiats to Escalades. 

For driver comfort, mileage, purchase price, least amount of repairs, quietness from road and wind noise, the fusion. I just came out of an escape and loved it. The fusion has a little bit better visibility. Had a camry for a while when we were moving vehicles between departments, i liked it as well but it was more road noise and wind noise outside that it was great. Not sure about long term tho on it. We have a honda CRV and we all dont like it, its pretty decked out too but man its so much more noisy with road/wind noise and the seats are horrible and its not comfortable to drive for long distances. Our average road trips to our sites are 4 hours. 

the subaru is VERY comfortable to drive, very quiet, low wind/road noise, great mileage, im not totally sold on the AWD, it feels very squirrelly on snow to me, almost like driving on ice - i get a very wierd sensation driving it vs my 4wd truck, i take my truck when the roads are bad - i have never had an awd vehicle maybe they all act like that

Look up Subarus and ghost walking on slick roads. Buddie has one and freaked last winter after coming back from twin cities in snowstorm.

ah ha!!!!! that is what its doing............ghost walking WTH, its a very unnerving feeling - my wife says she never notices it but boy i tell you from a guy that grew up driving like a total idiot on gravel roads in a f250 2wd that could never find its way around a corner in a straight line i feel every sensation and it made me white knuckle and break out in a cold sweat for about an hour and i finally gave it to my wife and said if we wreck we wreck, i cant take this any more

i never notice it when on dry or wet pavement, its fine and tires have worn well and it drives great but in the snow/ice, its a freaking nightmare!!!! 

5 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i never notice it when on dry or wet pavement, its fine and tires have worn well and it drives great but in the snow/ice, its a freaking nightmare!!!! 

Ya its a slick road deal. He had it 4 wheel aligned at dealer. Toe was a bit off front and back. He thinks its gone now. After he described it i could feel it too before the alignment. We carpool so i ride in it a lot. Its a know issue tho if you google it.

3 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Have it taken to the dealer, due to a lawsuit the light bulbs are warranted for 1 million miles 

my wife has a 2011, I don’t want another, she is talking of something else next time. She has 62k miles and we just did brakes last week (front pads only) for the second time.  Been burning oil for 30k, and it wants the synthetic stuff, I am not so sure but whatever.  The dogs have really been hard on the interior, and it looks like crap

but she is happy, it gets good gas mileage and is sure footed,  I think it needs to be scrappped. 

Switch to 5-30 or even 10-30, I’ve been , cuts down on consumption and runs just fine, no noticeable fuel economy loss

i had never even heard of 0-20 oil till the subarua came around, heck i hadnt even heard of anything less than 10 to be honest - i grew up on 30W non detergent in some things and then 30W detergent, migrated to multi-visc somewhere along the way.........that 0-20 is close to water 

Talked to the daughter yesterday and she's taking it in for head gasket oil leak ! YEOW !

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, augercreek said:

Talked to the daughter yesterday and she's taking it in for head gasket oil leak ! YEOW !

SHE DRANK THE COOL AID TOO?????

• Haha 1