Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Why I hate Subaru

3 hours ago, SMiller said:

30,000 mile pads and rotors and you tell him to suck it up? Drove many GM HD trucks pulling loaded trailers everyday that went over 100,000 miles on original pads and rotors.

Piss of Subaru 

Same here. For the family driver got a traverse with 185,000 and still haven't touched them. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

My 03 F250 6.0 has been a challenge its spent a lot of time getting repairs done. 

Ouch those hurt 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Strange thing is people all tell the same stories about Subaru, one it’s some lady who is so grateful they found her bad brakes at the 3rd oil change “oh my that might have been unsafe“ 

I heard the same types of things from a woman at work.

"They told me the turbo was leaking and it is out of warranty, so you should trade it in "

She got some of that "love" and they got a low mileage trade in cheep with likley an easy fix and made a lot of money 

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

What does the other side look like ? 

Is that the left or right side 

Left , the right was pretty ugly but that was the worst. 

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

yea i think your 11 would have fallen into that excessive oil situation - our 15 has 105K on it and I change the oil at 7500 miles in it, its only had full synthetic 0w20 in it from new. Not sure that is a necessity but so far so good - goes thru about 1/2 quart in that time, I top it off at 5K usually. 

ours had a wheel bearing in rear go at 62K - dealer covered it out of wty no questions - there were a couple recalls on it for what i dont remember - i noticed this wkend riding with my wife another rear wheel bearing is going out, not sure why they are prone to that but so were my two pontiac gran prixs. I replaced all of them in both of them and a couple more than once. I will change this one. We have not had to put on brakes yet. 

Only other anomaly is their flex joint in the exhaust in the header pipe. I noticed it was making more noise than it used to so when my wife took it in last time they said yep gonna have to have an exhaust manifold replacement - part alone was between 1000/1100 bucks then labor so around 1500 to replace. I was like wait and let me check it. 

I researched it like the wheel bearings and found its a common issue - the flex joint is stainless and everything is one large piece from boths sides of the flat V engine. It also contains the catalytic converts so another reason its expensive. 

I removed it, took longer to get the stupid plastic aerodynamic shield on the bottom than to get the header loose and out. All these new cars have the crazy plastic shields on the bottom its annoying. 

Used my O/A torch and welded it back together because it was on a sunday after church and i couldnt take it to a shop to have them replace the flex joint. I dont own a mig or tig so couldnt get a flex joint and do it myself. I didnt have the proper rod/flux for welding stainless so i brazed it like a hack welder would and its held so far. That was about a year ago. I did all that in about 2 hours start to finish from driving into my barn/fixing/test drive. Only cost me a little brazing rod and 10 mins of O/A fuel. 

Sorry to hear you have had such issues with yours. They can all be problematic but nothing worst than a combine in my opinion. 

My 03 F250 6.0 has been a challenge its spent a lot of time getting repairs done. 

I get it, some vehicles need a bit more love, and certainty as they get older some weather better than others. But these couple Subaru’s we have had have had legitimate issues that they have declined to cover or tried to get out of covering. They wanted to sell us a 2800 dollar extended warranty on this last one. I got pretty ugly about it, she’s got this binder with lots of transparent sheets of all the things that are covered at different times so at first it’s the whole car, then she lifts it up and it’s just the drivetrain, then just the engine etc but if we get the extended warranty we get full coverage on all this stuff. And she flips the binder back to the whole car. Then she goes on to explain how with all these modern electronics and features that when they fail you need the extended warranty because otherwise it’s out of your pocket.

I had already told her we did not want it (politely) so she does her routine, and I said so essentially you are telling me this car is such a POS that I have to pay you to fix it in advance? And you are so sure of its failure you’ve gone to the trouble of illustrations as a scare tactic?  She gets all flustered and starts back peddling. I said to her I have dealt with Subaru warranties , they aren’t with the ink it took to print them, I’m sure as **** not paying extra for one.  

I stood up and said you have had us here for 2 hours already, As far as I’m concerned I am already buying this against my will and I’ve had one foot out the door for the last hour, If you don’t have the papers signed and keys in my hand in the next 5 mins I’m walking out of here and we will leave with our old car. 

She did.

i haven’t had a great relationship with them however. The last 4 trucks I have bought were a max of 20 mins in the dealership signing papers. I’d i say no to extra whatever and that would be the end of it. No scare tactics, no badgering. 

Everyone I know who owned Subaru's had either engine OR transmission troubles with them.............I think of them at about the same level as Toyota's.  All the people I know with Toyota's brag about how reliable they are, but they are always doing something major to them.  Now to me, reliabilty means you don't have to work on it, not how fast the dealer turns the repair job????

2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Everyone I know who owned Subaru's had either engine OR transmission troubles with them.............I think of them at about the same level as Toyota's.  All the people I know with Toyota's brag about how reliable they are, but they are always doing something major to them.  Now to me, reliabilty means you don't have to work on it, not how fast the dealer turns the repair job????

at least Toyota stands behind the repairs. 

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

at least Toyota stands behind the repairs. 

Acouple they didn't..............

I,ve had an outback for my daughter, my sister had and has an outback , my brother has an outback.......Rear wheel bearing s , head gasket, and yes brakes.....😤

Awhile back Subaru ads used to say:” Inexpensive and built to stay that way”. Should have said “Expensive and built to stay that way “

1 minute ago, TomH said:

I,ve had an outback for my daughter, my sister had and has an outback , my brother has an outback.......Rear wheel bearing s , head gasket, and yes brakes.....😤

Awhile back Subaru ads used to say:” Inexpensive and built to stay that way”. Should have said “Expensive and built to stay that way “

the buy in isn't that bad compared to the competition, but like everything that's cheap to get into, its expensive to get out of. 

wife is on her second outback first one was an 11 with right at 100k when we traded need a wheel bearing and brakes otherwise didn't spend a dime on it got a 14 now that has 120k did brakes at 80 and haven't spent a dime on this one also changed oil every 6k miles but when it got over a 100 they said better do 4500 so thats what we do.  so in almost 9 years we haven't spent a dime on them and they get around great in the winter time and good mileage 25-30 so can't complain on our end

2 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Ouch those hurt 

yea the 6.0 has been a good truck and now with the prices of new ones it keeps getting better even though i have to have it worked on now/then - after i studded the heads and married it with a 6500/repair bill its been a lot better - first set of injectors at 220K - Its been used to pull quite a bit of stuff over the years, lots of horses, hay, skidsteers, tractors, heaviest its ever been was over 30Klbs most the time im around 20K when hauling things. 

first set of brakes with ball joints at 160K - Had it studded at 168K - just rolled 302K on it this wk, needs brakes and ball joints before next inspection - gets great mileage for an 8K+ lb vehicle and while its getting rust, its hanging in there, cant afford a 70K truck these days so its easy to justify dropping 1K in it 

I really liked the Subaru Crosstrek we had.  Only traded it because it was too cramped with 2 car seats.  It had 90k when we traded it, still had the original brakes.  I changed the oil and filter every 7000k, and that's absolutely all that was done to it.  I miss it, it got around great in snow!  Only new vehicle we've had.  I planned to keep it to 300k, but life has a way of changing your needs...

Sorry everyone else has had problems.

it will be interesting to see how the subaru does long term - two wheel bearings in 100K miles ehhh not horrible, my GMs would go around 120K on the factory originals, the replacements would go 100ish. 

Exhaust was a bit of an aggravation - i expect that to crack again at some point. 

SFSG on the trannie - ours has the CVT - i was concerned about the CVTs after the ford fiasco with theirs so i consulted a friend who is a trannie mechanic and is certified on Chevy/Ford/Chrysler/Jeep/Toyota/Nissan and said the nissan - subaru CVTs are ok, nothing like the fords. He said he was not afraid of them at all. 

My favorite car to date has been the ford escape and fusions, I drive many cars due to my work and have them until around 80 to 100K when the fleet co gets rid of them. 

We have had everything from the little cracker box Fiats to Escalades. 

For driver comfort, mileage, purchase price, least amount of repairs, quietness from road and wind noise, the fusion. I just came out of an escape and loved it. The fusion has a little bit better visibility. Had a camry for a while when we were moving vehicles between departments, i liked it as well but it was more road noise and wind noise outside that it was great. Not sure about long term tho on it. We have a honda CRV and we all dont like it, its pretty decked out too but man its so much more noisy with road/wind noise and the seats are horrible and its not comfortable to drive for long distances. Our average road trips to our sites are 4 hours. 

the subaru is VERY comfortable to drive, very quiet, low wind/road noise, great mileage, im not totally sold on the AWD, it feels very squirrelly on snow to me, almost like driving on ice - i get a very wierd sensation driving it vs my 4wd truck, i take my truck when the roads are bad - i have never had an awd vehicle maybe they all act like that

5 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

it will be interesting to see how the subaru does long term - two wheel bearings in 100K miles ehhh not horrible, my GMs would go around 120K on the factory originals, the replacements would go 100ish. 

Exhaust was a bit of an aggravation - i expect that to crack again at some point. 

SFSG on the trannie - ours has the CVT - i was concerned about the CVTs after the ford fiasco with theirs so i consulted a friend who is a trannie mechanic and is certified on Chevy/Ford/Chrysler/Jeep/Toyota/Nissan and said the nissan - subaru CVTs are ok, nothing like the fords. He said he was not afraid of them at all. 

My favorite car to date has been the ford escape and fusions, I drive many cars due to my work and have them until around 80 to 100K when the fleet co gets rid of them. 

We have had everything from the little cracker box Fiats to Escalades. 

For driver comfort, mileage, purchase price, least amount of repairs, quietness from road and wind noise, the fusion. I just came out of an escape and loved it. The fusion has a little bit better visibility. Had a camry for a while when we were moving vehicles between departments, i liked it as well but it was more road noise and wind noise outside that it was great. Not sure about long term tho on it. We have a honda CRV and we all dont like it, its pretty decked out too but man its so much more noisy with road/wind noise and the seats are horrible and its not comfortable to drive for long distances. Our average road trips to our sites are 4 hours. 

the subaru is VERY comfortable to drive, very quiet, low wind/road noise, great mileage, im not totally sold on the AWD, it feels very squirrelly on snow to me, almost like driving on ice - i get a very wierd sensation driving it vs my 4wd truck, i take my truck when the roads are bad - i have never had an awd vehicle maybe they all act like that

you and I must be like jack sprat and his wife, I find the Subaru HEINOUSLY uncomfortable to drive, farther than to the store for coffee I am squirming around and getting grumpy, at the 1 hour mark I am downright miserable and by 2 hours I don't even like myself so its no wonder to me that no one else can stand me. as for winter driving it is the only thing I can say good about the Subaru, that thing is like a cat on a curtain, we run studded snows, the first set were Pirelli scorpions the most recent set are Hakkapalita, she wants studded snows, im not a fan but I know if there was ever an issue I would have to hear " if I had had studded tires" until it high centers the Subaru will keep going, im pretty sure it will climb mount crumpet better than Max. 

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

you and I must be like jack sprat and his wife, I find the Subaru HEINOUSLY uncomfortable to drive, farther than to the store for coffee I am squirming around and getting grumpy, at the 1 hour mark I am downright miserable and by 2 hours I don't even like myself so its no wonder to me that no one else can stand me. as for winter driving it is the only thing I can say good about the Subaru, that thing is like a cat on a curtain, we run studded snows, the first set were Pirelli scorpions the most recent set are Hakkapalita, she wants studded snows, im not a fan but I know if there was ever an issue I would have to hear " if I had had studded tires" until it high centers the Subaru will keep going, im pretty sure it will climb mount crumpet better than Max. 

LOL - trust me i have to fuss my way into a comfy position and adjust every adjustment it has but I drove it from KC to Albuquerque and from Flagstaff to Wichita and did pretty dang good. 

I use a fleece shirt on the arm rest, the leather/plastic wear on me after a while. I am a stretched out slouching driver, i move the seat way back and im usually slumped over some on one hip or the other on those long trips.

You want a hard uncomfy seat try out a CRV or worse a Fiat 500 those fiats are a total joke  

19 hours ago, SMiller said:

30,000 mile pads and rotors and you tell him to suck it up? Drove many GM HD trucks pulling loaded trailers everyday that went over 100,000 miles on original pads and rotors.

Piss of Subaru 

And I`ve seen a few that didn`t

from all makes/models. 

Brake rotors (Medium).JPG

wheel weights (Medium).JPG

• Haha 1

brake rotors make great anchors 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:03 PM, vtfireman85 said:

He’s in the repair business, he loves them. 😉

largely purchased by those with little to no mechanical ability, they rely in “mother Subaru” to take care of them, Subaru keeps shoveling poo, their loyal following keeps taking it. 

queue obnoxious self-righteous, looking-down-my-nose "that's why I drive a Subaru" here.

23 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Your last sentence  pretty much sums up why Subaru is the unofficial state vehicle of Vt 🙄

You sure it's not a Prius? Maybe Prius is the runner up.

Since my daughter went to school there, we count the Prius's and Subaru's from the state line to campus. and compare them to the total number of American vehicles. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

I used to play the same game when I lived in Connecticut. I'd count Mercedes, BMW's and Audi's, and compare them to the total number of Ford's and GM's.

7 hours ago, MTO said:

And I`ve seen a few that didn`t

from all makes/models. 

Brake rotors (Medium).JPG

Get that truck out of the way. That landscape is gorgeous!

47 minutes ago, KWRB said:

You sure it's not a Prius? Maybe Prius is the runner up.

Since my daughter went to school there, we count the Prius's and Subaru's from the state line to campus. and compare them to the total number of American vehicles. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

I used to play the same game when I lived in Connecticut. I'd count Mercedes, BMW's and Audi's, and compare them to the total number of Ford's and GM's.

That’s probably the runner up, they brag about how these sub-bies  will go anywhere. Yet they want public transportation 🤪

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

My favorite car to date has been the ford escape

I just came out of an escape and loved it. 

At my last company, the Escape was the official "single Mom with 3 kids" car. Typical for them to be 8 to 10 years old and over 200,000 miles. I tried to get the Wife to look at one when we traded her '03 Mountaineer with 215,000 on it but Wife and her ex-daughter-in-law decided on the Edge. Ford bought the first Edge back due to rain water leak into driver's floor at 12,000 miles, second one has been pretty reliable so far at 75,000 miles.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

At my last company, the Escape was the official "single Mom with 3 kids" car. Typical for them to be 8 to 10 years old and over 200,000 miles. I tried to get the Wife to look at one when we traded her '03 Mountaineer with 215,000 on it but Wife and her ex-daughter-in-law decided on the Edge. Ford bought the first Edge back due to rain water leak into driver's floor at 12,000 miles, second one has been pretty reliable so far at 75,000 miles.

wifes aunt and uncle are on edge 3 or 4, he puts on 50K a year or more so they go through them.

my sister totaled her edge, it had 125ish on it - mr big buck died in the process - they are not deer proof 

On 9/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, vtfireman85 said:

I’ve had it up to my neck with Subaru’s, moms grand Cherokee went 80k on the first set, my truck did 100k and dad’s van 90, this Subaru has 60 K it’s the newest one In the fleet, 15’, and I’ve now been around it twice, the front calipers were like 90 each, exchanged, I haven’t gotten the bill on these yet. 

The maintenance costs on a POS car like this are absurd 

Wow...here subaROO is like flys.  Cant swing a dead cat with out hitting one.  Never heard of brake issues.  Have to ask guy i know if his Baja is brake drama