Turning up fuel on 886

I have a quick question that I haven't been able to find the answer to through searching on here. How far can the fuel be turned up safely and with no ill effects on a 886 that has a d360 in it. The tractor would only really be pulling a 2 row chopper and very minimal tillage, like pulling a 10 foot disc, 2 shank subsoiler, or a 3 18 mold board plow. No duals. The main duty for this would be chopping. In good corn it could use a little boost in hp

30 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Without a turbo you won’t get much benefit.

agreed....had a 3688 that was in for a TA repair and i told dealer to turn it up to about 130hp. i really couldnt say it had anymore power but it sure made a whole lot more black smoke, so i turned it back down to where it wasnt smoking 

Turning up a non-turbo engine helps a little...but also uses a bunch more fuel and makes it run hotter.

If you really want to turn it up, talk to your local ag diesel pump shop. A good one will tell you how to do it safely.

Travis

We used to pull two row chopper and 13 foot disc at factory settings I was to little to remember how it did but must have done ok

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Without a turbo you won’t get much benefit.

Kind of what I figured. It does fine for the most part, just every now and then it would be nice to have a tad extra power

That is about what I was going to say.  You can turn it until it smokes some black , not much and after that, just wasted fuel. 

Kind of like a young farmer many years ago that told me to turn his 706 with the 282 engine up another ten horse power.  I said, there ain't no more horses in that one fellow.   He also called the TA lever the turbo lever.  

• Haha 1

The D360 likes a turbo, and the 886 has lots of room under the hood. You could run 110 - 115 real easy and keep it cool.

What parts are needed to make this a bolt-on affair that tucks under the hood? The truck DT360 manifold puts the snail sticking out the side of the tractor like a Cummins.

Before you do anything you should get it on a dyno and make sure it is not to low on hp. I wouldn't turn it up more than 10% which would be no more than 8-10  hp and that maybe all you need.

10 hours ago, Steve C. said:

The D360 likes a turbo, and the 886 has lots of room under the hood. You could run 110 - 115 real easy and keep it cool.

What is required for a add on turbo. I assume it would need oil squirter in the block or does it already have them in place

43 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

Before you do anything you should get it on a dyno and make sure it is not to low on hp. I wouldn't turn it up more than 10% which would be no more than 8-10  hp and that maybe all you need.

I don't think it is low on power. The butt dyno hasn't noticed a loss of power. It handles all of the previously mentioned tillage stuff very well in hard Rocky red clay fairly well. We had some exceptional corn in a field or two that could have used a couple extra ponies on. I mentioned the tillage because I know turning up fuel can cause excess heat when being worked hard, and if it was feasible I wouldn't want to get I to a situation where the tractor runs hot

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What parts are needed to make this a bolt-on affair that tucks under the hood? The truck DT360 manifold puts the snail sticking out the side of the tractor like a Cummins.

There is an aftermarket manifold available now. A bit pricey though! 

http://leamantractorparts.com/turbomanifoldfordt360and312enginefor666766and886etc.aspx

This is a cummins manifold off a pickup truck turned upside down on my 766.

DSCF0095.JPG

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CDN 400 said:

This is a cummins manifold off a pickup truck turned upside down on my 766.

How many ponies are you turning?

8 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

How many ponies are you turning?

400 give or take. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CDN 400 said:

400 give or take. 

Got 184 out of my 766 once, for an out-of-field pull.  Just had a little T04 on it.  Ran around 120 or so most of the time.

You have a beautiful installation, BTW.

11 hours ago, 885 said:

What is required for a add on turbo. I assume it would need oil squirter in the block or does it already have them in place

Mine didn't have the cooling jets installed, but it's probably a good idea.  I'll defer to the experts on this.

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Got 184 out of my 766 once, for an out-of-field pull.  Just had a little T04 on it.  Ran around 120 or so most of the time.

You have a beautiful installation, BTW.

Thanks, sometime I'll get a pic of the whole tractor. No cooling jets on this either but never sees the field. Injpumped (Ed) helped ALOT with this project.

When I was looking for another tractor, one of the models I liked was the an 886 with a D360.  I had some concerns with regards to power and wouldn’t know first hand until I would put it on my docs mower conditioner.  However, in the back of my mind, I thought a turbo would be the fix would I have needed it.  IMHO - an 886 with a turbo would be a nice tractor.

• Like 1

When farmers put aftermarket turbos on their tractors, they just slapped the turbos on and went to the field without a second thought. They had no idea about things like oil cooling jets, and they ran them a lot harder than you ever will. Back then it was about doing a job that really should have been done with a bigger tractor. Things seemed to hold up reasonably well. Of course you heard stories of problems stemming from abuse, but if you don't abuse the power, you won't have problems right?

• Like 1

My whole life my dad had an 886 with turbo at 125hp, was the most trusty tractor we ever owned, my dad bought it new and I mis it but I traded it to my uncle for the 145620170617_083422.thumb.jpg.6deb01b82721506e220550d960bb1ff9.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

My whole life my dad had an 886 with turbo at 125hp, was the most trusty tractor we ever owned, my dad bought it new and I mis it but I traded it to my uncle for the 1456

Got any pictures of the plumbing?

The 766 / 886 was an over-built 85 horse tractor.

That's a great looking 886 Rusty! I would have hated to let that one get away, but getting a 1456 would be a great temptation, and yours is pretty darn nice.

14 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

My whole life my dad had an 886 with turbo at 125hp, was the most trusty tractor we ever owned, my dad bought it new and I mis it but I traded it to my uncle for the 145620170617_083422.thumb.jpg.6deb01b82721506e220550d960bb1ff9.jpg

'88 series steps on that one, nice upgrade. 

• Thanks 1