Sign in to follow this  
Hot Plug

560 Turbo

49 minutes ago, Hot Plug said:

One more thing here Larry, is the chrome valve cover a M&W accessory or dose the 40 have a Red one on it now ...lol  

Thanks for all the here guys ..... with everything  ......😉

HP

Regarding the valve cover, OEM 560 valve covers are aluminum so I couldn’t resist polishing it. 

Remember,  chrome won’t get you home but it sure looks good on the side of the road or in this case end of a field  after the rear end falls out and it won’t start because the experts on here will quickly tell you that they ALL do that, except mine , the two that my dad had, and the dozens of other ones near by that neighbors had .

Since joining the forum I have learned that My dad and near by farmers here in Nebraska had the Only Batch of 560 ‘s that EVER started and didn’t have their rear end fall out  so be careful buying a 560 because as far as I now know I have the only one left on earth that will start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Regarding the valve cover, OEM 560 valve covers are aluminum so I couldn’t resist polishing it. 

Remember,  chrome won’t get you home but it sure looks good on the side of the road or in this case end of a field  after the rear end falls out and it won’t start because the experts on here will quickly tell you that they ALL do that, except mine , the two that my dad had, and the dozens of other ones near by that neighbors had .

Since joining the forum I have learned that My dad and near by farmers here in Nebraska had the Only Batch of 560 ‘s that EVER started and didn’t have their rear end fall out  so be careful buying a 560 because as far as I now know I have the only one left on earth that will start.

Sounds like to me there a pile of people that dont know how to start or maintain a 560 ..... or there asking way to much out of the 560 an ya it will fail like anything else ..... sounds like I need to head to Nebraska , I'll bring my own beer !!!

Thanks Again Lorenzo !!!

20190829_084908.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hot Plug said:

One more thing here Larry, is the chrome valve cover a M&W accessory or dose the 40 have a Red one on it now ...lol  

Thanks for all the here guys ..... with everything  ......😉

HP

The 40?    Ya they are  red

hence the reason I call her  Testarossa with means "Red Head "  in Italian.

IMG_0023_0062.thumb.jpg.7ac657a815870ca3894f1fc52295293a.jpg

Back on subject I forgot to mention that   ( IF )  it starts and you have a turbo on it you might experience the engine sucking some oil from the OEM oil bath air cleaner under high RPM fully loaded conditions, AKA.  WFO.

IH also offered a turbo kit during the later years of production and they offered a new type  air cleaner for use with the turbo .

I have never actually seen one of these but it was a dry eliment type I believe.   

Another secret is that the oil bath air cleaner on a 660 is taller then on the 560 because the 660 was basically a turned up 560 so to compensate for the additional air flow through the air cleaner IH made the 660 oil bath air cleaners taller.  So don't tell anyone but if you see a 660 in a junk yard buy the air cleaner assemble off it.

560_turbo_kit_blog-image2a.thumb.jpg.6c04262369f867bfc129c07f7c09c8a3.jpg

2.2-1_banner.thumb.jpg.9a7250dbd0110612166324b572c71d12.jpg

I believe this is the kit they were reproducing in Iowa.

t3_560.jpg.e2cfc406bc31084fceb44886ab552865.jpg

A 560 Turbo is my bucket list tractor. Those pictures make me pee down my leg. (can I say that here)

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

We have had two 560s both started fine, both 282Ds, both rearends never gave us any issues, one had the head gasket go ( the 63 ) my 58 never did give us headgasket issues. Both were turned up but non turbo. Pump on the 58 set to 706 specs, pump on 63 was set to 660 specs. Just never cared for either one of them. Not sure why they never grew on me like the 400. They have NO torque like a person would expect from a diesel. You get one under 1200 rpms you better be grabbing the T/A, PTO Handle or clutching, no lug to them at all, have to keep them wound up to get moderate power. I could lug into our drive/farm pulling the same wagon or implement in road gear with the 400 and the souped up 560s would die or you had to drop down to 4th gear - not sure if the turbo on one would help but i would presume so. Worked for a guy with a 656, never liked it either, same engines/same anemic power. 291 adn 301 gassers were much better for a lil more bottom end in the 706/806.  

Gave up on the 560s, buddy bought the 63 and used it a couple yrs and sold to his father in law, sold my 58 last fall about this time and it is now a parade tractor. 

HAve a 706 with a german diesel in it and 5088 and love both of those. Small tractor is a 2038R now until i get the 44A back running and I will use it for pasture etc.... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

We have had two 560s both started fine, both 282Ds, both rearends never gave us any issues, one had the head gasket go ( the 63 ) my 58 never did give us headgasket issues. Both were turned up but non turbo. Pump on the 58 set to 706 specs, pump on 63 was set to 660 specs. Just never cared for either one of them. Not sure why they never grew on me like the 400. They have NO torque like a person would expect from a diesel. You get one under 1200 rpms you better be grabbing the T/A, PTO Handle or clutching, no lug to them at all, have to keep them wound up to get moderate power. I could lug into our drive/farm pulling the same wagon or implement in road gear with the 400 and the souped up 560s would die or you had to drop down to 4th gear - not sure if the turbo on one would help but i would presume so. Worked for a guy with a 656, never liked it either, same engines/same anemic power. 291 adn 301 gassers were much better for a lil more bottom end in the 706/806.  

Gave up on the 560s, buddy bought the 63 and used it a couple yrs and sold to his father in law, sold my 58 last fall about this time and it is now a parade tractor. 

HAve a 706 with a german diesel in it and 5088 and love both of those. Small tractor is a 2038R now until i get the 44A back running and I will use it for pasture etc.... 

I'll agree with ya there , I tractor pulled for a good number of years (SMTA an a WD9 ) thoughs big stroke 4 cyc. Would lug right down an hang on for a good long time the inline 6s seemed to have more RPM better top end as I'm sure engineers at IH back in the day didnt design those engines to lug,  they had there power on the other end of the scale ....    I've seen a few turboed Ms an they dont lug like a a non turboed M dose either . . . . 

HP

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Back on subject I forgot to mention that   ( IF )  it starts and you have a turbo on it you might experience the engine sucking some oil from the OEM oil bath air cleaner under high RPM fully loaded conditions, AKA.  WFO.

IH also offered a turbo kit during the later years of production and they offered a new type  air cleaner for use with the turbo .

I have never actually seen one of these but it was a dry eliment type I believe.   

Another secret is that the oil bath air cleaner on a 660 is taller then on the 560 because the 660 was basically a turned up 560 so to compensate for the additional air flow through the air cleaner IH made the 660 oil bath air cleaners taller.  So don't tell anyone but if you see a 660 in a junk yard buy the air cleaner assemble off it.

Very nice looking Kit Lorenzo !  Now the 64,000. Question here would be what is one of those Kits wOrTh  In Nabraska ?

And do the owners like Maple Syrup ?

Thanks again Lorenzo!

HP

• Haha 1

The M&w turbo looks better than the kit that IH offered.   

Plowing with the SMTA-D is a treat.  It’s one of the best tractors I’ve driven and love every minute I’m on it.   ☺️

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lorenzo said:

There was one on a 560 at the chapter 11 show last weekend. 

0E28727A-0B6A-414D-A017-33BAFF715C06.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2019 at 5:17 PM, lorenzo said:

As for pointers on the conversion,  it was a pretty straight forward kit back in the day. 

The M&W kit was engineered so you didn’t have to cut a new hole in the hood . When finished, the only tattle tail sign by looking and listening to  it was the additional oil filter on the left side and the sound . 

When I restored my 560 I had all the pieces except an original  yellow M&W oil filter .  I was able to chase down a few NOS filters from an old M&W dealer in Red Oak Iowa. He also had some of the original decals . 

While I was at his place I discovered they were remanufacturing several castings for various different tractors . I saw pallets of newly cast elbows and turbo mounts for not only International but John Deer as well . It’s been several years since I was there but I bet they are still making parts or even complete kits . 

When I was a kid you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting either a 560 or a 4020 that someone had installed an M&W kit . 

Im lucky enough to be able to drive a few miles in either direction and stumble through a tractor junk yard with plenty of dead solders to pick parts from. It surprises me to hear that some parts of the USA and Canada do not have such opportunity . If you end up with a 560 and need some parts I’m pretty sure I can stear you in the right direction. 

If you want me to look for some M&W stuff let me know, I don’t think it’s all that rare yet. 

Here is a couple appetizers for you when you can’t sleep at night .

1732993069_nakid5604.jpg.9f2f444428dd7ab5c6f0d9b7a58710bd.jpg

125369963_nakid5601.jpg.e5b9723aaeb1b029ac0dbe536f57ec9a.jpg

1867869864_Image8-1-17at2_12PM.jpg.24276b4925e58b1c971dce377849f079.jpg

nakid 560 3.jpg

dang, that sure is some pretty iron right there. almost too pretty. I would love to see that run against TractorDanP's 560, he dominates everything with it, but I bet that would shake things up. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:25 AM, lorenzo said:

My non-turbo'd 560 would suck the oil out of the air cleaner on a hard big rpm pull, never knew about the 660 having a deeper air cleaner, that would make sense as the 660 turns a lot of rpm.

My 282 was a hard starter but I am sure the glowplugs a d wiring were original so I am just at fault as anything, had a friend with a restored 660 that would fire off strong on all 6 cylinders so just goes to show.

Trick to keeping a 282 head from cracking was proper warm up and cool down which no one does.

Never had a rear end problem even though I was weighted down and turned up.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2019 at 4:17 PM, lorenzo said:

As for pointers on the conversion,  it was a pretty straight forward kit back in the day. 

The M&W kit was engineered so you didn’t have to cut a new hole in the hood . When finished, the only tattle tail sign by looking and listening to  it was the additional oil filter on the left side and the sound . 

When I restored my 560 I had all the pieces except an original  yellow M&W oil filter .  I was able to chase down a few NOS filters from an old M&W dealer in Red Oak Iowa. He also had some of the original decals . 

While I was at his place I discovered they were remanufacturing several castings for various different tractors . I saw pallets of newly cast elbows and turbo mounts for not only International but John Deer as well . It’s been several years since I was there but I bet they are still making parts or even complete kits . 

When I was a kid you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting either a 560 or a 4020 that someone had installed an M&W kit . 

Im lucky enough to be able to drive a few miles in either direction and stumble through a tractor junk yard with plenty of dead solders to pick parts from. It surprises me to hear that some parts of the USA and Canada do not have such opportunity . If you end up with a 560 and need some parts I’m pretty sure I can stear you in the right direction. 

If you want me to look for some M&W stuff let me know, I don’t think it’s all that rare yet. 

Here is a couple appetizers for you when you can’t sleep at night .

1732993069_nakid5604.jpg.9f2f444428dd7ab5c6f0d9b7a58710bd.jpg

125369963_nakid5601.jpg.e5b9723aaeb1b029ac0dbe536f57ec9a.jpg

1867869864_Image8-1-17at2_12PM.jpg.24276b4925e58b1c971dce377849f079.jpg

nakid 560 3.jpg

Such top notch work, that thing is better than what you would see at the Smithsonian 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On September 27, 2019 at 3:37 PM, searcyfarms said:

That is interesting, my thoughts on the D282 is the same.   The 310 Kraut is so far out of the league you can't even compare the two, they were a heck of a power plant.  Oliver executives should have went over and promised all the Nuess guys bratwursts for life, poached them, and maybe they could have built a 310 cube engine that wouldn't have blew apart.  I will say I never thought the 301 gassers were anything to write home about in the field.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:48 AM, lorenzo said:

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:48 AM, lorenzo said:

AMEN!

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, lorenzo said:

The 40?    Ya they are  red

hence the reason I call her  Testarossa with means "Red Head "  in Italian.

IMG_0023_0062.thumb.jpg.7ac657a815870ca3894f1fc52295293a.jpg

You guys and your go fast toys are getting to me. This turned my head the other day. And it can be bought.

WP_20190824_002.jpg

• Like 1

Hot plug, here’s the 560 that you plowed with, and just so you know, the pictures that you referred to have been deleted. I didn’t see that I could ever get any mileage out of them, so I deleted. No need to worry about them surfacing again.

Since Johns plow day, I have rebuilt the engine, ta and clutch in the old 560. Runs like a new one now.

Notice that mine never had the extra m&w filter. Also spent most of its like being worked hard with the turbo on it, and used the stock air cleaner.

Also I wanted to thank you again for the maple syrup that you gave us. Best stuff I ever put on my pancakes.

0D4D35F6-92FD-489F-8D3C-8A75859E8624.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, lorenzo said:

My injectors are stock OEM and as far as I know the pump has not been turned up however the sky is the limit these days it seams so I’m sure you can alter those if you choose. Of course the experts on here will tell you that a 560 won’t start and the rear end is going to fall out on the ground so it dosent matter anyway .  

I don't need your turbo kit, however, if you could remove your valve cover and send it west I would be most appreciated of your kindness.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ohio farmer said:

Hot plug, here’s the 560 that you plowed with, and just so you know, the pictures that you referred to have been deleted. I didn’t see that I could ever get any mileage out of them, so I deleted. No need to worry about them surfacing again.

Since Johns plow day, I have rebuilt the engine, ta and clutch in the old 560. Runs like a new one now.

Notice that mine never had the extra m&w filter. Also spent most of its like being worked hard with the turbo on it, and used the stock air cleaner.

Also I wanted to thank you again for the maple syrup that you gave us. Best stuff I ever put on my pancakes.

0D4D35F6-92FD-489F-8D3C-8A75859E8624.jpeg

Gid'ay Ohio Farmer !  I figured you'd show up sooner or later .. well I might just buy this ol'e 560 ( if it will start an rearend dosent fall out of it when I take it for a test run ) then I have to search for a plow for it and may have to make a trip to Nebraska to get some first hand advice on this up date ...... 

HP

Well I just googled Red Oaks Iowa ... only 18hrs from home ..... Hey Lorenzo how much farther is your place ?

1 minute ago, Hot Plug said:

Well I just googled Red Oaks Iowa ... only 18hrs from home ..... Hey Lorenzo how much farther is your place ?

Thats just down the road a bit from here...

bout 2.5 hours from me - i dont think we have any of those rear view mirrors like that left for it around here thought might be a wasted trip 😉

2 hours ago, new guy said:

Thats just down the road a bit from here...

Really !??!    " Red Oaks Iowa  ? "    In your neck of the woods , ya don`t say Dale ...... 

This is gett`in interesting  !!!   Hmmm  ?

HP

8 hours ago, Hot Plug said:

Really !??!    " Red Oaks Iowa  ? "    In your neck of the woods , ya don`t say Dale ...... 

This is gett`in interesting  !!!   Hmmm  ?

HP

Grab that other Cannuck named Dale and swing down thru PA and grab their best mechanic for the ride(not for breakdowns....just the conversation...) make a heck of a road trip...lol

• Haha 1