1256 IHC fuel issue or pump

Have a 1256 and it had been sitting for some time, it starts right up and I haver used it around yard a few times, no issues,, yesterday went to use it and started nice ran for about 10 min then powered down and stopped,  tried to start again fired up but again powered down. I read the posts that is maybe be return top fuel fitting the issue, I cleaned it and drilled it out and still the same issue... If I loosen the side screws on the small flat plate fuel will spray out and the engine will stay running. the min i turn them tight she stops running.. What could be the issue ? Thanks for any help 

Time for proper pump servicing. As J said, the return tract beyond the pump is likely plugged with broken down flex ring material. Very common to have that happen after these have been sitting for an extended period of time. 

• Like 2

With he engine running and all fittings removed from the pump, it should run and dribble fuel out the top of the pump.

Then start putting fittings back in unit it stops or all the return lines are hooked back up again.

The very top fitting in the pump has a check ball in it that looks like glass. May be plastic.

If using air to blow that clean, you need to use a needle, etc to move that ball off it's seat to get air to go through the fitting one way.

Fuel will flow one way, from the pump to the tank unless that fitting is plugged. The ball stops fuel from flowing back into the pump from the return.

That fitting will be packed full of like a very fine black sand.

That was originally a clear or tan piece of plastic that held the governor weight retainer together. 

The two pieces of the governor weight retainer are now floating around unattached in the pump.The governor does still work and is turning.

When replaced, you can use a solid weight retainer that stops this from ever happening again.

They say it can effect the governor but I have never seen it.

Always remember, a Roosa Master must allow return fuel out the top of the pump against zero pressure.

Any pressure builds and it will slow the engine until it quits.

The remains of the elastacast ring that holds the governor weight retainer together has disintegrated, plugged the return somewhere and stopped the engine.

This is the best place to start.

• Like 1

Well you have proved case is under pressure when you loosened side plate. That steel fitting in top pump cover is the escape hatch. If its open and line is open. Hole in cover has to be plugged. Never seen this. Start engine with fitting out. Does fuel dribble out?

took the fitting off and it was blocked , I think the ball in fitting that I drilled threw had turned and closed it off again. I used a piece of wire to put threw it again and put it back together, runs good now,, so I will run it for a while and see it it will do it again ,I will have to drill a bigger hole if it happens again , Thanks for the help 

3 hours ago, patricksjohndeeres said:

took the fitting off and it was blocked , I think the ball in fitting that I drilled threw had turned and closed it off again. I used a piece of wire to put threw it again and put it back together, runs good now,, so I will run it for a while and see it it will do it again ,I will have to drill a bigger hole if it happens again , Thanks for the help 

It won’t run for long like that.

3 hours ago, patricksjohndeeres said:

yes need a new fitting for sure, not sure were to get it but will check it out. thanks guys 

Case IH or any reputable pump/ diesel shop. 

don't waste time replacing fitting if you aren't going to get the pump repaired. The problem is inside the pump, not the fitting. The fitting plugging is just the result. Instead of drilling, just remove the ball and spring from the fitting and use it to finish the jobs at hand until it can be down for a few weeks while getting it properly serviced. 

• Like 3

We had the same issue on a friends tractor, 856, and Ed is right, the flex ring is deteriorating or deteriorated. The tractor ran fine for a bit and then had no throttle, wouldn’t go up in rpms, it first would speed up past 1/2-3/4 throttle then went 1/4-1/2 then nothing. It happens nothing you can do, it’s a roosemaster thing.  InjpumpEd is a pump shop and does does great work from what I read......when I have a pump go down I’ll have him work on my pumps.