Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

What exactly is it, and how does someone get rid of it?

This stuff grows in the edges of my friends pond, it looks like giant grass, but it’s wicked invasive. We dig it out every few years but the roots go 5 feet deep in some cases it can be pumped down further but just digging them out doesn’t cut it. I don’t even think roundup would do it

F98E834A-3862-46DF-B02B-359AF0E677BC.jpeg

97571F24-D249-4121-8EFF-85AC8CC48534.jpeg

EC2C7CE1-B453-482C-B99A-006AF334A560.jpeg

If it is a grass, a glyphosate product should do a fair job I would think. Chemical companies make aquatic herbicides for ponds and lakes also but I have no experience with them. 

It looks like a big version of what we call sprangle top in rice. Thx-Ace

At the base it’s about as big as a sharpie 

I am told Roundup with some crop oil and it works on most pond weeds. We are fortunate enough to not need anything other than the kids doing the weeding ....... Mom's pond "had" some unwanted cattails

Screenshot_2019-09-22-21-13-20.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

I am told Roundup with some crop oil and it works on most pond weeds. We are fortunate enough to not need anything other than the kids doing the weeding ....... Mom's pond "had" some unwanted cattails

Screenshot_2019-09-22-21-13-20.png

I hope you have a pressure washer 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

I hope you have a pressure washer 

It was the youngest's birthday. Was her best birthday party ever ! :)

• Like 1

The Glyphosate 5.4 herbicide is absorbed into the plants and kills the roots. Other methods for Phragmites control include mowing, disking, dredging, flooding, draining, burning, and grazing, but this can sometimes make the problem even worse, as the Phragmite roots are often left intact.

• Thanks 2

Pretty sure it's phragmites, very invasive, hard to get rid of. Very easy to cause it to spread. In our county in MI the soil conservation district will come and eradicate it. On our road construction projects they advise us how to remove any dirt with plants including the roots.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Common Reed. We've been fighting it for a couple years along creek banks & a couple grass  waterways. Gylsophate & crop oil is the only thing I have found to kill it, pretty much have to soak the whole plant.  They make an aquatic gylsophate to use around water, Rodeo is one brand name. Problem along a creek bank spraying gyl is you will kill the grood grass causing erosion.  We're looking to buy a rope wick to use where we have it in the grass waterway. If anyone knows were you can buy the parts to build a rope wick we would appreciate the info.

• Thanks 1

It’s nasty stuff , takes over , it grows in the water and out of it. Doesn’t burn well either 

11 minutes ago, boog said:

Common Reed. We've been fighting it for a couple years along creek banks & a couple grass  waterways. Gylsophate & crop oil is the only thing I have found to kill it, pretty much have to soak the whole plant.  They make an aquatic gylsophate to use around water, Rodeo is one brand name. Problem along a creek bank spraying gyl is you will kill the grood grass causing erosion.  We're looking to buy a rope wick to use where we have it in the grass waterway. If anyone knows were you can buy the parts to build a rope wick we would appreciate the info.

What’s the mix ratio? And how do you apply it? Erosion isn’t really an issue here

5 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

What’s the mix ratio? And how do you apply it? Erosion isn’t really an issue 

3% gyl , 1% crop oil. I use a 50 gal tank in back of a 825 gator, 5gpm 12v pump and an adjustable pattern spray wand. Soak until spray mix is dripping off all the leaves. 

• Thanks 1

We have that crap growin over here on this side of the black line .....  We have a different name for it here .... " Fakcowy grass "  cause when you get in the real thick stuff you look around an say " Where the Fakcow we "    😕

Good luck !!

HP

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, boog said:

https://www.bowmanmanufacturing.com/products/rope-wick-applicators-gravity-flow/

12 hours ago, boog said:

If anyone knows were you can buy the parts to build a rope wick we would appreciate the info.

Next door neighbor had a Farmall C with a frt mount rope wick applicator till about 10 years ago. Not sure what he did with it, place looks like a cross between a used car lot and a trucking company drop lot now. He's got a KW that should be in trucking magazines.

Topic title led me to believe someone contracted an STD...   :ph34r:

And with the OP being who it was....nevermind.

• Haha 3

Heres what I use on cattails in my pond. Roundup with crop oil or AMS simply because I usually have some around. I have tried the aquatic roundup in a pump up sprayer, and even doubling the rate it still just wouldn't cut it. It would burn the leaves then after a few weeks come back. Maybe another brand is better. But this has really helped eradicate my cattails. They are very invasive as well. It's a slow process. I have a few I need to hit right now. https://www.agrisupply.com/rope-wick-applicator/p/25218/

4 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Heres what I use on cattails in my pond. Roundup with crop oil or AMS simply because I usually have some around. I have tried the aquatic roundup in a pump up sprayer, and even doubling the rate it still just wouldn't cut it. It would burn the leaves then after a few weeks come back. Maybe another brand is better. But this has really helped eradicate my cattails. They are very invasive as well. It's a slow process. I have a few I need to hit right now. https://www.agrisupply.com/rope-wick-applicator/p/25218/

I watched a video on it , I see how that helps with dandelions and stuff but how does that work with cattails and reeds? They are 7 feet tall, do you have to rub it all up and down the plant? These things are all over the place like a jungle 

5 hours ago, MTO said:

Topic title led me to believe someone contracted an STD...   :ph34r:

And with the OP being who it was....nevermind.

Or something from the bodies they like to relocate...☠️💀

26 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I watched a video on it , I see how that helps with dandelions and stuff but how does that work with cattails and reeds? They are 7 feet tall, do you have to rub it all up and down the plant? These things are all over the place like a jungle 

I’m thinking if you cut it back and wait for it to start to regrow then hit it hard with something. You’ve stressed it with cutting it, it then is stressed again when you apply something. Might be able to get more product on each plant and actually have better results 

• Like 1

RODEO IS WHAT i USED ONCE.  YOU SPRAY IT THIS TIME OF YEAR WHEN THE OTHER GRASSES AND RICE HAVE GONE DORMANT SO THAT YOU DON'T KILL THEM TOO.  Sorry for the caps.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Not as much as you might think. Mine only grow out a couple feet as I have steep banks. Sounds like if it's that much she might be due for a clean out. If they were that thick I'd just spray it. Just use caution if there are fish, not only by what your spraying but too much if a kill of vegetation messes up the O2 in the water. You can google it and learn more than I know. Maybe you already knew. Never used Rodeo but I'd check into it. Like johnson grass I finally used some outrider and it seems to go after the roots better. So maybe Something works better than roundup. 

13 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Not as much as you might think. Mine only grow out a couple feet as I have steep banks. Sounds like if it's that much she might be due for a clean out. If they were that thick I'd just spray it. Just use caution if there are fish, not only by what your spraying but too much if a kill of vegetation messes up the O2 in the water. You can google it and learn more than I know. Maybe you already knew. Never used Rodeo but I'd check into it. Like johnson grass I finally used some outrider and it seems to go after the roots better. So maybe Something works better than roundup. 

At the moment it’s been cut and cleaned out with the excavator, I suppose it would have to be allows to grow back some to use that wand, it looks cool, I can see how it would work well with a 4 wheeler or whatever. This is just a tricky spot for it