KWRB

Singular Form of Cattle

16 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

FB95IMG951588532362042.jpg

But they had no way to catch her.ūüėĀ¬†Watched the Dr Pol show a few times, now think I have deluxe Cadillac of corrals.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ray54 said:

But they had no way to catch her.ūüėĀ¬†Watched the Dr Pol show a few times, now think I have deluxe Cadillac of corrals.

I've seen that show. It is amazing what some people can (or can't) get away with. 

Do not take cattle working facilities for granted here. 

Raised three boys on the ranch around cattle and horses.

Proud to say never had a one of 'em injured when working cattle. 

Reminds me of a sign that was ip in a farmers hedge near me a few years back.

"Leave the Bull $#!t in the town and the Cow muck in thw countryside"!

Now I have seen a bull been made to pee like a girl.

A few years ago I was looking after 140nfriesen bulls for a neighbour.

These bulls were reared on a barley beef diet of mostly grains.

Had a bull get crystals in his urethra. And consequently unable to pass urine.

Vet came out and with bull standing in crush the vet, called Alice. Made an incision about 6 inches (iirc) below his rectum. And withdrew hos urethra and cut it off before stitching it to the outside skin.

Then pushed a catheter up the uretha to make sure it was clear and hey preato he peed like a girl.

Now who isn't sitting cross legged.

Thw bull was kept until withdrawl periods of drugs and then went for the chop.

3 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

Now I have seen a bull been made to pee like a girl.

A few years ago I was looking after 140nfriesen bulls for a neighbour.

These bulls were reared on a barley beef diet of mostly grains.

Had a bull get crystals in his urethra. And consequently unable to pass urine.

Vet came out and with bull standing in crush the vet, called Alice. Made an incision about 6 inches (iirc) below his rectum. And withdrew hos urethra and cut it off before stitching it to the outside skin.

Then pushed a catheter up the uretha to make sure it was clear and hey preato he peed like a girl.

Now who isn't sitting cross legged.

Thw bull was kept until withdrawl periods of drugs and then went for the chop.

Curse you for doing that to me.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:52 PM, sandhiller said:

Bout the only trouble I have with claiming their babies is when they twin. Half the time they will take care of both. Fourth the time you have to find the one that ain't with her and take him to her till he is old enough to find her on his own. Fourth the time, she says "I'm raising one, you raise the other" and will not let one suck.

Worst for psycho I ever calved were Salers. Never ever trusted them. They could go from docile to killer at a snap and with no warning. 

well they're Irish so...

How did I miss the Saler story before.

My dad bought a Saler at the beef auction on Monday after there big all breed bull sale on Saturday because he was bruised on the truck from out of state. No limp on Monday so he thought he had got a deal on a Red Angus.Only weeks latter did papers come he was a Saler. He kept the young bull in the corral rather than put him in the bull pasture to get beat on by older bulls. But he could see a group of yearling heifer,so he started taking the corral apart to get out. It was every mornings job to go get him back for a week,but did handled well from horse back. I don't know why dad decided he had been halter broke,maybe more adds from the breeder with the pedigree papers. Anyway bolted a 3/8 chain around his neck. Pounded a steel bar about 4 feet deep put the other end of the chain on it.He never really challenged the,just laid in the shade or ate his hay. He spend 2 months or so chained in a pen. Never penned him by himself after that but didn't break out of the corral again ether. Salers never got very popular in this part of the country,but this one was not to bad.

5 hours ago, ray54 said:

Salers never got very popular in this part of the country

They blew in our country in the late 80's on the promise of calving ease, growth and feeding efficiency. 

They had some success crossed with Herefords but I didn't like them on my Angus cows.

They did have calving ease but they didn't improve weaning wts much and the guys that retained ownership said they didn't finish well either. Way too many Selects not enough choice and couldn't find a prime.

Disposition was very unpredictable and could be downright dangerous.

Only lasted about three years and left as fast as they came.

Had no experience of Salers but Limo x Friesiens are in my experience absolute lunatics.

Only bovine I have seen jump vertically out of a cattle crush and attempt to jump a verticle wall and repeatedly fail.

Confounded things would jump a wall or gate and hurtle off down the yard and over / through whatever got in their way and run until they couldn't run anymore. Usually a mile and end up in neighbour's cows.

The  other cattle would still be in the yard ready to be dosed etc.

Only calves that where taken off a dairy cow and eventually shot as totally unable to get to drink any way other than off the mother cow.

Wouldnt look at another cow or rubber tit or finger or bucket.

This particular calf ended up with repeated scours  and generally went down hill until it was put down.

When we took limo calves off the dairy cow and put them in a pen to train to bucket feed had to put a hurdle over the top to keep them in.

Confounded things more hassle than they worth.

Herefords never any trouble.