KWRB

Singular Form of Cattle

Well. We tag all of em. If I've got a calf incant tell from a distance I go by numbers. For example 81's calf. Or 81. Or that one over there with the motley face!?  You know.... that one milk face....  sometimes I name specific ones. The last one i had to doctor walked around aimlessly for weeks so I called it mush head. Mush was the 2 yr old feeder calf. Dont know if he hit his head a little hard when he shot out the back or what. Even tried to fill out disability papers on him🤔  cattle cows calves bulls bullz whatever. Soouuuukkkk.  Come on girls whooooooooeeeeee.  Ok I've lost my mind reading all this jibberish. 😎

18 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

"The picture below is a highland ____."

Greenhouse gas emitter!  Lol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I'll give ya the horns. Not used to being around animals that are not polled. If they have buttons at branding we burn em. What you say makes sense. Looking at OP pic, from the eyes to the nose is more rounded where your cow is dished in. I'm staying with bull maybe steer, late cut. What I would call "bully headed". Not used to the breed and never been wrong before🙄😄

the pic OP posted looks like 3-4 years of horn IMHO. Highland cattle grow very slowly. don't breed a heifer a day less than 2 years, no consistency in size really from one herd to the next. I have seen some good sized ones in some better herds and tried to get decent ones. I thought I would try to build a little niche market for the excellent meat but too many ppl want to get the good deals at Walmart😕 They have 2 layered coat so they do not put a layer of fat under the hide for protection but rather marble real nice- low in fat and cholesterol. So I have got rid of all but 1 and was crossing them with Hereford which made a huge difference, They are a nice animal and usually very calm ( don't use the horns against ya) but the slow gain and the fact feeders and head gates are a pita I am happy to have Polled cattle

I would think the pic is a male but would not bet my life on it so like you when its unknown I would say a cow. The long hair on the face is called a dossan and it doesn't give clues to gender. That cow I posted will grow a dossan that covers her face in the winter

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Well. We tag all of em. If I've got a calf incant tell from a distance I go by numbers. For example 81's calf. Or 81. Or that one over there with the motley face!?  You know.... that one milk face....  sometimes I name specific ones. The last one i had to doctor walked around aimlessly for weeks so I called it mush head. Mush was the 2 yr old feeder calf. Dont know if he hit his head a little hard when he shot out the back or what. Even tried to fill out disability papers on him🤔  cattle cows calves bulls bullz whatever. Soouuuukkkk.  Come on girls whooooooooeeeeee.  Ok I've lost my mind reading all this jibberish. 😎

I sure am glad you use the number on the tag and didn't color code 😉 boys and girls, if one was trans gender 😵 who knows what damage you my done to them.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ray54 said:

I sure am glad you use the number on the tag and didn't color code 😉 boys and girls, if one was trans gender 😵 who knows what damage you my done to them.

Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. If the heifers would identify as steers at the auction mart, I'd be ok with that

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, ray54 said:

Well I must confess. We use blue tags for steers and red for heifers on calves. Used to be blue and purple but I'm color blind. So after the new wore off I couldn't tell one from another. So we went to doing heifers on left ear and  steers on right ear and doing colors to boot. So I'm really bringing them down. It's like boot camp really. Move it move it! Eat, eat, eat, you little bovine!  Load up cha ching. 

• Haha 2

On 9/26/2019 at 5:40 AM, lorenzo said:

An old bull  and a young bull were standing up on a hill overlooking a herd of heffers.

The young bull said “ let’s run down there and breed one of those heffers”.

The old bull said “ let’s walk down and breed them all” 

True story , 

Heard that before just more colorful language.

15 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Well I must confess. We use blue tags for steers and red for heifers on calves

Always tagged heifers left ear, steers (bulls before branding) right ear. When running down the alleyway sorting for sex, just send em the side eartag is on😁

• Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 10:09 PM, sandhiller said:

An old Angus mamma can be pretty darn intimidating and protecting without horns.

No doubt about that.  Dad had some that'd get really mean if you tried messing with baby.

He also had a black cow or two over the years that wouldn't claim her calf.  I like Angus but they can be kind of psycho.  I always liked black baldies too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

No doubt about that.  Dad had some that'd get really mean if you tried messing with baby.

He also had a black cow or two over the years that wouldn't claim her calf.  I like Angus but they can be kind of psycho.  I always liked black baldies too.

Bout the only trouble I have with claiming their babies is when they twin. Half the time they will take care of both. Fourth the time you have to find the one that ain't with her and take him to her till he is old enough to find her on his own. Fourth the time, she says "I'm raising one, you raise the other" and will not let one suck.

Worst for psycho I ever calved were Salers. Never ever trusted them. They could go from docile to killer at a snap and with no warning. 

On 9/26/2019 at 7:52 AM, MTO said:

I know I`m a steer and I think oldtanker is also...

In livestock breeding programs if you've had a vasectomy you could be referred to as a "teaser".

Just sayin'

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

In livestock breeding programs if you've had a vasectomy you could be referred to as a "teaser".

Just sayin'

snip snip................................Gomer😪                      😁

Kickstand and Teaser, wow!

On 9/26/2019 at 3:10 AM, New Englander said:

What if it's a cow that identifies as a bull or a bull that identifies as a cow? We have to be accommodating for the ones whose gender identification is not clear. That might be a transgender cow/bull who desires surgical help to become transsexual.

Bovine LGBT intolerance here!

Concur,  Could be it's a fluid gender critter, Yesterday I felt like being an cull.  Today I feel like being a bull, Tomorrow I feel like being a cow.

I’d call that one: hairy *****
  you can place whatever word in there you like depending on your mood. Could be either a 4 or 5 letter word also but hairy would always stay the same for easy identification because the other word You choose might be used on other Cattle so you must keep hairy to help with confusion

Waaaay back in the day, when it was a bit more acceptable, I and a group of male friends would refer to a singular overweight girl as a cow and a group of overweight girls as cows. If they were particularly bad, the terminology may have changed to sow/sows or pig/pigs.

I believe the girl(s) had a similar term such for us incorrigible boy(s) as arsehole/arseholes.

2 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Waaaay back in the day, when it was a bit more acceptable, I and a group of male friends would refer to a singular overweight girl as a cow and a group of overweight girls as cows. If they were particularly bad, the terminology may have changed to sow/sows or pig/pigs.

I believe the girl(s) had a similar term such for us incorrigible boy(s) as arsehole/arseholes.

Yup heard that before. Go and do some "hogging"

On 9/28/2019 at 1:03 AM, dale560 said:

Heard that before just more colorful language.

…..yeah...that piece   of homespun ……"bovine bestiality''       has long been   herd  (!!)..or perhaps heard    down under......

...as to the 'singular '  of cattle......my old Dad would say    "Cattle    Beast " to  identify  one animal...….

...as there seems to be a world wide move against  some aspects of farming....some aspects being perceived   as 'cruel '  etc...….I noticed last winter,, on two occasions ….."citidiots " as you blokes call them......observing a neighbours   bunch of bulls , wintering  in a large paddock of Brassica....with the usual low spots  full of mud etc...…  Second time I stopped..to talk to these  folk.....chatted for a few minutes...they asked  about those " poor cows "   etc ..and the mud  etc........".Yeah,   ….and they are going to be calving   soon  "  I told them...….they were aghast   at the thought of those poor cows ….calving in that mess.....

I went on my way....smirking    at my blatant  BS...…..Guess you had to be there...but it was funny

Mike

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mike newman said:

…..yeah...that piece   of homespun ……"bovine bestiality''       has long been   herd  (!!)..or perhaps heard    down under......

...as to the 'singular '  of cattle......my old Dad would say    "Cattle    Beast " to  identify  one animal...….

...as there seems to be a world wide move against  some aspects of farming....some aspects being perceived   as 'cruel '  etc...….I noticed last winter,, on two occasions ….."citidiots " as you blokes call them......observing a neighbours   bunch of bulls , wintering  in a large paddock of Brassica....with the usual low spots  full of mud etc...…  Second time I stopped..to talk to these  folk.....chatted for a few minutes...they asked  about those " poor cows "   etc ..and the mud  etc........".Yeah,   ….and they are going to be calving   soon  "  I told them...….they were aghast   at the thought of those poor cows ….calving in that mess.....

I went on my way....smirking    at my blatant  BS...…..Guess you had to be there...but it was funny

Mike

Careful!  At least one of them might become a politician and come back to haunt you!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

In German, they'll refer to a woman as a "dumb cow" ("dumme Kuh"), but not because of her body. They call her that if she's kinda stupid and oblivious.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:37 AM, Missouri Mule said:

Lol. Had  one a few years back we said must have come out too hard. Walked around with its head cocked and never acted all there. It stayed for 2 years for some reason. Was the same size or smaller than most of the young calves it went with. 

FB95IMG951588532362042.jpg

• Like 2