KWRB

Singular Form of Cattle

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Well you SURELY don`t think I wrote that myself!!:ph34r:

No way!🤠     Cows, steer, bull , they ‘re all cattle. Rams, Ewes , they ‘re sheep....

Why is the plural of “goose” geese? But the plural of moose is still moose when really it should be meese! 🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In that case , bovine 👀👍🏿

14 minutes ago, TomH said:

No way!🤠     Cows, steer, bull , they ‘re all cattle. Rams, Ewes , they ‘re sheep....

Why is the plural of “goose” geese? But the plural of moose is still moose when really it should be meese! 🤐

and these would be meese's 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hanna+barbera+cartoons+characters+pixie+and+dixie&view=detail&mid=84406F9E8F6C5D47803E84406F9E8F6C5D47803E&FORM=VIRE

• Like 1

I have had a bunch of Scottish Highland cattle. That one looks real big for a yearling and horns too long for yearling     Take a look at my old cow that wide between the eyes 

DSCI0216.JPG

4 hours ago, MTO said:

I know I`m a steer and I think oldtanker is also...

A vasectomised ram is known as a "teaser ram" here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hillman said:

I have had a bunch of Scottish Highland cattle. That one looks real big for a yearling and horns too long for yearling     Take a look at my old cow that wide between the eyes 

DSCI0216.JPG

I'll give ya the horns. Not used to being around animals that are not polled. If they have buttons at branding we burn em. What you say makes sense. Looking at OP pic, from the eyes to the nose is more rounded where your cow is dished in. I'm staying with bull maybe steer, late cut. What I would call "bully headed". Not used to the breed and never been wrong before🙄😄

• Thanks 1

cow = singular - one mama 

cows = more than one mama  

cattle could be a mixed lot of heifers/steer/bulls/cows/calves or any combination thereof 

bovine - one 

bovines = more than one of the species

• Like 1

I call her by first name, usually followed  by an insult or inflammatory comment to pick a fight in efforts to get her to go back where she came from for an extended period of time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was not a trick question. I was just wondering what you all "professionals" if not "experts" would call just one of them if you didn't know specifically if it was a bull, steer, heifer, etc.

That's the reason I chose a picture of one that didn't show any anatomy.

So again I ask what would you call that?

Would you guess and say "oh that's a nice looking highland steer"? Would you use the word "cow" as a catch-all like the general public? Would you just say "that's a nice highland" and leave it at that?

we have a lot of summer cattle around here - summer steers, summer heifers, summer white, summer black, etc........

😉 Well you have enough inf in picture to say bos taurus and not bos indicus.🤣 

Since OT has not commented 😉 yet anyway this may take all night.😵 Or if some else falls a sleep it could go all day tomorrow.🤣

Hay Sandhiller you may need to add horns back if get many wolves around you county.  😥 And not a dang bit funny having wolves anywere close.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Cow

IMHO, "cow" is a very acceptable and well used generic term when used by people that know the different classes of cattle when talking to people that know the difference. My pet peeve is when watching a news story about the high price of beef in the grocery store  and they show a "stock footage" picture of fat steers in a feedlot and the talking heads refer to them as "cows". Picking the fly sh!t out of the pepper, maybe, but it hits me where I live and what I do. (Never miss a chance to educate) KWRB, good question, I didn't answer it but gave me a chance to vent about mainstream media. Won't even get into the difference between a rifle "magazine" and a "clip". 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Critter

5 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Hay Sandhiller you may need to add horns back if get many wolves around you county.  😥 And not a dang bit funny having wolves anywere close.

An old Angus mamma can be pretty darn intimidating and protecting without horns. Wolves are a whole different catagory of predator than what we are used to though and hope it don't come to that. 

Round here they are mostly called a cow unless you know it's a steer or bull. Like a sheriff deputy/state patrol might pull in and say "there is a cow out over on this road, do you know who it might belong to?" if they don't know this particular area very well. If they can see the "evidence" they refer to it as a bull or steer. Most often they don't get close enough to look.

Rick 

• Like 1

What if it's a cow that identifies as a bull or a bull that identifies as a cow? We have to be accommodating for the ones whose gender identification is not clear. That might be a transgender cow/bull who desires surgical help to become transsexual.

Bovine LGBT intolerance here!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, New Englander said:

What if it's a cow that identifies as a bull or a bull that identifies as a cow? We have to be accommodating for the ones whose gender identification is not clear. That might be a transgender cow/bull who desires surgical help to become transsexual.

No that's a lot of bull ;)

• Haha 2

An old bull  and a young bull were standing up on a hill overlooking a herd of heffers.

The young bull said “ let’s run down there and breed one of those heffers”.

The old bull said “ let’s walk down and breed them all” 

True story , 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, KWRB said:

It was not a trick question. I was just wondering what you all "professionals" if not "experts" would call just one of them if you didn't know specifically if it was a bull, steer, heifer, etc.

That's the reason I chose a picture of one that didn't show any anatomy.

Would you guess and say "oh that's a nice looking highland steer"? Would you use the word "cow" as a catch-all like the general public? Would you just say "that's a nice highland" and leave it at that?

Here in cow country if we see a cattle from a distance and don't know if it is a cow heifer or calf we use the word critter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MTO said:

Same scenerio with "deer"

Deer is the singular and plural form of the word.

Maybe we should just adopt cattle as the singular and plural form in a similar fashion.

Yaw could use a little Bull slap to help get your lives back in order, here in Madrid, Woody.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, New Englander said:

Beat me too it! 😁

3 hours ago, bitty said:

No that's a lot of bull ;)

Yup