Installing this used generator

I will try to brief for a change. I recently posted about charging issues and the need to occasionally jump start. My tractor is 6 volt, positive ground. 

Per previous post,  I had success cleaning all connections and tractor was starting fine but still reading "D"ischarge. I work out of town frequently but was squeezing some mowing in,  smelled a burning smell and my generator was smoking badly and needs replacing. 

Note. I've been debating converting to 12 volt but purchased a new battery and lights less then a year ago so I've not decided. 

While working out of town, I decided to bid on a used generator on ebay. Seller seems to have a good reputation  just a couple of negative reviews concerning shipping. Has many years selling history and many parts for many brands of tractors.

I successfully bid about 55% of asking price and received this generator. It comes with no guarentee of course (seller states he was told it was recently rebuilt) and for what I paid, it won't break the bank if its junk.  I got back in town Saturday.  It is exactly as appeared but as I'm getting ready to install I find I'm a bit unsure of whether what appears to be a resistor fitted to the top can damage my tractor. 

I've been extremely fortunate with all of the used parts I've purchased so far and appreciate your thoughts and help here. 

Thank you!

20190923_111337.jpg

20190923_111304.jpg

20190923_111328.jpg

That is a solid state cutout.  It is a good deal providing it is okay and your tractor does not have a voltage regulator.  I see the fields are grounded so the generator has been putting out full charge to whatever system it was previously on.

Ron

Wrong configuration generator will work without that cut -out. DONOT tightern the generator drive belt very tight not like a car belt there is just a bronze bushing in the back and you can burn out the bushing and ruin the armature vey quickly. I don't know how many freshly rebuilt  generators have been ruined that way when they comeback soon with the rear bushing burned you know just what happened .pete23 probably had the same experience 

55 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

That is a solid state cutout.  It is a good deal providing it is okay and your tractor does not have a voltage regulator.  I see the fields are grounded so the generator has been putting out full charge to whatever system it was previously on.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I should have included that my tractor does have a voltage regulator. The old generator did not have this cut out. Can I simply disconnect this cut out and re attach the two wires running from the tractor to the posts on the generator as they were original generator?

Thanks! Paul 

46 minutes ago, R190 said:

Wrong configuration generator will work without that cut -out. DONOT tightern the generator drive belt very tight not like a car belt there is just a bronze bushing in the back and you can burn out the bushing and ruin the armature vey quickly. I don't know how many freshly rebuilt  generators have been ruined that way when they comeback soon with the rear bushing burned you know just what happened .pete23 probably had the same experience 

R190. Thanks for the advice. My inclination is to make everything tight!!  Thanks! Paul 

13 minutes ago, Paul 300 U said:

Thanks Ron. I should have included that my tractor does have a voltage regulator. The old generator did not have this cut out. Can I simply disconnect this cut out and re attach the two wires running from the tractor to the posts on the generator as they were original generator?

Thanks! Paul 

R190. Thanks for the advice. My inclination is to make everything tight!!  Thanks! Paul 

Like R190 says.  You will be fine.

Ron

37 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

Like R190 says.  You will be fine.

Ron

Hi Ron

Sorry to be dense here but I don't want to take any chances. Are you (and R190) saying it is ok to disconnect this shut-off and reconnect the 2 wires from the tractor directly to the 2 posts on the generator in the same way the old generator was connected?

Thanks! Paul 

Yes that would be fine if regulator is good. Leaveing generator alone. Hooking just armature wire to cut out and moving armature and battery wires to same terminal at regulator may give you a more trouble free system. When I say that I am assuming that is a three brush generator and someone has already adjusted the third brush to limit output.

not sure if this would apply or if mentioned but be sure to polarize it so its charging properly i had to do that on my old deere with a generator - everything else has been converted to an alternator. 

13 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Yes that would be fine if regulator is good. Leaveing generator alone. Hooking just armature wire to cut out and moving armature and battery wires to same terminal at regulator may give you a more trouble free system. When I say that I am assuming that is a three brush generator and someone has already adjusted the third brush to limit output.

Agree.

Ron

12 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

not sure if this would apply or if mentioned but be sure to polarize it so its charging properly i had to do that on my old deere with a generator - everything else has been converted to an alternator. 

Polarize is important.  You cannot be certain if the used generator is pos or neg ground. Polarizing will put it with the tractor's system.

Ron