Saved from salvage!

Since the International 1466 is the boys and I's favorite tractor, we felt this one needed saved. We have a bit of a love affair with these 1466's. Currently have five of them, and all but one are projects. This ole girl showed up at the bone yard. Checked into it a little as it looked way too whole to junk. Couldn't see anything wrong except for the fact that it appeared to have stood for several years. Was told it ran, but wouldn't move. Asked if we could see if it would run and we were told have at it. Jumper cables to the Powerstroke and tada, she was alive. No clutch release, so we could not get it into gear. Assumed the throw out bearing had gone east. Negotiated a deal and took her home. Split her apart and the throw out bearing had seized all right, and then it was run until the PP fingers were literally worn in half! New clutch, PP, bearing and good to go. Makes us feel good to save another one. Cab is coming off and fenders going on. Then we will do some farming and see if she is any good. After that a full restoration will be in order.

KIMG1139.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

My hero. I am proud for you, and proud you saved that fine tractor.

My life's mission is to live with integrity and without envy, hate, or greed. Finding one in a salvage yard is almost enough to trigger envy, my friend.

I am quite proud of you. The 14xx series is my favorite after the 10xx. If I could have gotten that for less than $2k, I would.

Nice save. And you're doing the right thing and ripping that cab off. I might have liked the 1466 we had if it wasn't for the crappy cab on it ( same one as yours in the picture).

47 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

Still amazes me whole tractors are getting hauled to salvage yard especially up north. Wasnt untill a few years ago salvage yards woke up and quit parting out 1206, 1256s and 1456s. 

Agreed, they got a 1206 from the same farm that this 14 came from. It doesn't run, but they won't sell parts off it. Said they want to sell it whole to someone who will save it.

Looks great Matt 👍😊

3 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Will have to check again, but I thought "74.

I don't remember when they went to the red cab.  I think '73s had the white cab, but maybe the red one came out in '74.

11 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I don't remember when they went to the red cab.  I think '73s had the white cab, but maybe the red one came out in '74.

You know I thought I could always get the exact year on a 1466 just by the variations. We are finding out that there is a lot of overlap and differences over the years. Not all parts were used up in order making a tractor seem older or newer. Yes parts have been changed over 40 some years on tractors, but it is fairly easy to tell what is original on most. 

8 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Since the International 1466 is the boys and I's favorite tractor, we felt this one needed saved. We have a bit of a love affair with these 1466's. Currently have five of them, and all but one are projects. This ole girl showed up at the bone yard. Checked into it a little as it looked way too whole to junk. Couldn't see anything wrong except for the fact that it appeared to have stood for several years. Was told it ran, but wouldn't move. Asked if we could see if it would run and we were told have at it. Jumper cables to the Powerstroke and tada, she was alive. No clutch release, so we could not get it into gear. Assumed the throw out bearing had gone east. Negotiated a deal and took her home. Split her apart and the throw out bearing had seized all right, and then it was run until the PP fingers were literally worn in half! New clutch, PP, bearing and good to go. Makes us feel good to save another one. Cab is coming off and fenders going on. Then we will do some farming and see if she is any good. After that a full restoration will be in order.

KIMG1139.jpg

Might have a home for cab if you wanna sell it

41 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

The 1466 that my Great Grandpa bought in 73 in the aftermath of the fall of 72 was a red cab one. Dont know if it is rare or odd or not but it definitely was a red cab and the story was after the slop of the fall of 72 he wanted a bigger tractor so he bought the 14.