Case IH 720 Plow Toggle Trip Problems

I just purchased a 720 Case IH 4 furrow semi-mount plow at and auction sale - picture attached. All the shares and wear parts on the bottoms have been replace recently. It has the toggle trip mechanism. I tried to use it for the first time today and the 2 rear bottoms trip as soon as they start to cut in to the ground with virtually no load on them. I have a copy if the manual and it only shows the spring loaded trip mechanism and no info on the toggle trip or how to adjust.

Each of the toggle mechanisms have two large bolts that hold a stack of 4 shim plates that the toggle beam rests on. See blowup picture that shows the shim pack location. These shims have rusted quite a bit and the rust between the shims have caused them to expand so the stack is more than twice as thick as they would be with no rust. Not sure but I think because they are thicker it pushes the toggle trip beam closer to the trip point.

I pulled all the shim packs out and cleaned all the flaking rust off and painted them. Before I reassemble I was trying to find out how to determine the proper thickness for the shim pack and if there is an adjustment procedure to follow to make sure the plow will trip at the proper load.

Any suggestions or info will be appreciated

720 Pic 2.png

Pic3.png

9 hours ago, Gary H said:

I just purchased a 720 Case IH 4 furrow semi-mount plow at and auction sale - picture attached. All the shares and wear parts on the bottoms have been replace recently. It has the toggle trip mechanism. I tried to use it for the first time today and the 2 rear bottoms trip as soon as they start to cut in to the ground with virtually no load on them. I have a copy if the manual and it only shows the spring loaded trip mechanism and no info on the toggle trip or how to adjust.

Each of the toggle mechanisms have two large bolts that hold a stack of 4 shim plates that the toggle beam rests on. See blowup picture that shows the shim pack location. These shims have rusted quite a bit and the rust between the shims have caused them to expand so the stack is more than twice as thick as they would be with no rust. Not sure but I think because they are thicker it pushes the toggle trip beam closer to the trip point.

I pulled all the shim packs out and cleaned all the flaking rust off and painted them. Before I reassemble I was trying to find out how to determine the proper thickness for the shim pack and if there is an adjustment procedure to follow to make sure the plow will trip at the proper load.

Any suggestions or info will be appreciated

720 Pic 2.png

Pic3.png

take out shims one by one til it stops tripping

thanks for the feedback and suggestions and "bauerj" advice on proper shimming. I shimmed all the toggles mechanisms so the bar was flush with the hole - plowed a couple of acres yesterday and worked great - only tripped one bottom once and that was when I was when I hit a tree root from a tree on the fence line.