88power

Colt did it today

A couple years ago Colt reps told my distributors about the same thing. Some attempted to regulate sales to LEO dealers only. Not sure what that meant or how to qualify for it. Never looked into it. Any AR rifles I sold were of another mfg. I called one of my dist reps just now and he hadn't heard anything. Said the last time Colt tried this it faded away. Maybe a marketing tool to panic sell guns from too much inventory? Limp wristed attempt to appease the loons, I dunno. 

Think maybe Colt has forgotten its roots? 

Love the "creepiest hophead" 😄

1050056857_guncreep.thumb.jpg.3670063f28b56ac2f85a986108617950.jpg

Imo this is what the anti gun people want and this day and time it may work I mean look at the Walmart deal what's to say other gun manufacturers follow Colt now and it starts the Domino effect, then they say well you won't make them anymore why not back us banning such weapons and once the gun grabbers get there foot in the door it's all down hill for us gun owners from there just like what happened in England they turned gun owners on each other then when it was all said and done they wondered what happened

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, 88power said:

Imo this is what the anti gun people want and this day and time it may work I mean look at the Walmart deal what's to say other gun manufacturers follow Colt now and it starts the Domino effect, then they say well you won't make them anymore why not back us banning such weapons and once the gun grabbers get there foot in the door it's all down hill for us gun owners from there just like what happened in England they turned gun owners on each other then when it was all said and done they wondered what happened

I personally don't have any AR platform rifles but I think if you want one it's none of my business if you pass the background check ..  There was a previous attorney general that didn't prosecute a bunch of background check law breakers and this is the majority of the problem. Laws on the books and not enforced when broken ....

• Like 6

I would guess that a Colt AR just doubled $$ on the open market.

Mike

Guys this has more to do with Colt's inability to sell firearms on the civilian market. Mostly because they seem to think we should pay double for Colt products. Heck they are not in great financial condition right now anyway. I doubt that they can make it on police and military sales alone. And it does make sense to cut sales to civilians if it isn't profitable. Then make it look like a civic effort on the part of the Colt? Brilliant! Problem of it is the cops and feds still have to ask for bids and it goes to the lowest bidder. IMO Colt is on the way out.

Rick

• Like 1

Colt has bowed to liberal influence before. This is nothing new. Thx-Ace

I have a lot of people with ar platform rifles around, I have seen a grand total of 1 colt. Lots of bushmasters, rugers a couple of Springfield, S&W, PSA, the list goes on, the market is flooded with economically priced AR platforms. Ain’t nobody buying colt ARs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Guys this has more to do with Colt's inability to sell firearms on the civilian market. Mostly because they seem to think we should pay double for Colt products. Heck they are not in great financial condition right now anyway. I doubt that they can make it on police and military sales alone. And it does make sense to cut sales to civilians if it isn't profitable. Then make it look like a civic effort on the part of the Colt? Brilliant! Problem of it is the cops and feds still have to ask for bids and it goes to the lowest bidder. IMO Colt is on the way out.

Rick

In a statement published on Colt's website and promoted on social media Thursday, Colt President and CEO Dennis Veilleux said the company has decided to temporarily suspend production of rifles for the civilian market, but made a point of noting that the decision is not motivated by a political agenda and that the company remains "committed to the Second Amendment." Instead, he explained, Colt has determined that the sporting rifles market has reached "significant excess manufacturing capacity."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/52005/colt-suspends-production-rifles-civilians-says-its-james-barrett

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

In a statement published on Colt's website and promoted on social media Thursday, Colt President and CEO Dennis Veilleux said the company has decided to temporarily suspend production of rifles for the civilian market, but made a point of noting that the decision is not motivated by a political agenda and that the company remains "committed to the Second Amendment." Instead, he explained, Colt has determined that the sporting rifles market has reached "significant excess manufacturing capacity."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/52005/colt-suspends-production-rifles-civilians-says-its-james-barrett

Yes, Also note that Colt ain't doing too good at all. They face competition for what?  A dozen different manufactures? And military contracts? Those expired a while back and Fabrique Nationale Herstal and Remington won those contracts for both the M4 and M4 carbine. Go look at what the cops are buying? Colt is in financial trouble yet again. Like Seth said. I haven't seen but maybe one or 2 COLT rifles in in the last 10 years. 

Just because they issued a statement doesn't mean it was the truth. IMO Colt is thinking that the liberal leaning large city police departments will be forced into buying Colt's lineup becasue of how they aired this. I wish I owned enough stock in Colt to see what contracts they really have? Most PD's are buying Sig and Glock hand guns. The US military went to Sig now that they decided to get rid of the M9 that replaced the Colt 1911 YEARS ago. Interesting that there are no current financial statements from Colt? Lat one I can find shows them 4 million in the hole. The courts approved Colt's bankruptcy plan in 2016. But with low sales in the civilian market of both long guns and hand guns, loss of government contracts? Colt is not a major player any longer. According to what I can find they currently employ 470 people. Ruger has over 2,000 employees. Remington had over 3500. And colt talks about government contracts and only has 470 workers? Including the COE, management and engineers? 

I may be wrong but I'll bet this is a last ditched effort to save themselves.

Makers of AR platform rifle include:

Fabrique Nationale Herstal

Remington

H&K

Anderson Arms

Smith and Wesson 

Daniel Defense

Rock River

Sig

Windham Armory

Larue

Palmetto

Ruger

And a bunch more.

Go look at Colt's handgun lineup. Not what you would call impressive.

The more I look at this the More I'm thinking that it's a publicity stunt. Most likely they were losing money of the AR market. So cut the production and then put a spin on it. I don't think this is indicative of the AR market. Nor will you see other makers doing the same unless they too are losing money. 

Rick

When a guy can buy individual parts and build a tack driver for under $750, why would you go to Colt and buy a poverty pony that needs upgraded anyways? I've built two recently and can guarantee they both perform way better than a stock Colt AR ever could.

Also, I love the triggered snowflake reaction I've seen regarding Colt's economic-based decisions. Some fudd sees the headline and immediately goes bonkers without actually reading the story. Classic.

1 hour ago, Indy Farmer said:

When a guy can buy individual parts and build a tack driver for under $750, why would you go to Colt and buy a poverty pony that needs upgraded anyways? I've built two recently and can guarantee they both perform way better than a stock Colt AR ever could.

Also, I love the triggered snowflake reaction I've seen regarding Colt's economic-based decisions. Some fudd sees the headline and immediately goes bonkers without actually reading the story. Classic.

Gotta agree. I looked last night. What Colt was asking for their AR15 platform rifle was obscene! Almost 1000 for the lowest priced model? You can get into a low end AR at what? 425? Pretty decent ones at in the 600-800 range. And that's complete range ready out the door. If you are willing to to build as you say less than 750 will put you into something that's pretty nice.

Rick

They are overpriced and cant sell them that is 95% of their prob 

• Like 1