26 years after school, I still hate it.

I enjoyed helping out in the library

OK, once a year.

When the SI swimsuit issue came out

Mrs Grimm (librarian) entrusted me to dispose of the "filthy thing" before any young boys could see it. 

I always made sure it was properly taken care of😋😄

• Haha 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These days you'd do even worse as you didn't specify which gender of purple

To us computer geeks A B C D E F are actual numbers 10 to 15 in the 4 bit hexidecimal number system so an F grade would by a (decimal) 15.  You count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F.,10,11,12,13,14,15

I saw this quote the other day:- "I left school at 13 when I realised that it was impeding my education"    

Didn't care for school starting around grade 3. Had a don't give a you know what attitude. I applied myself just good enough to get by. Was a classic N student in grade school and C - F student in grades 9 & 10. Was a bleacher bum in gym class grades 9 & 10 because we had to wear shorts. Didn't like to wear shorts and I still don't wear shorts today. Thought I got plenty of exercise on the farm without participating in gym class with a bunch of jocks. Jocks and me and my friends got along like oil and water.  We were of the rougher crowd. Went to what they called a vocational school back then in grades 11 & 12 and was on the honor roll because I was doing something I liked with good classmates and no jocks were there. Took general math in 9th grade and that was it for the rest of high school. Didn't have to take math anymore because I was no way going to college, even though dad preached college and stay away from being interested in farming. I'm sure glad I got out when I did. I sure wouldn't want to be a student of today.

Gym Class to me was nothing but a bunch of bad words.......................I was only ever sent to the office during gym class.  I didn't feel that any of the gym teachers needed any formal training to do said task, were grossly overpaid for said task, and I made it known very vocally.  The sad part was most of the administrative staff at our District agreed with me, but it was a state requirement at the time so I had to attend, which I would promptly dismiss myself from and end up at the office.  We were cutting stalks, raking, baling, seeding cover, and disking cover in one fall trying to beat a snow storm.  It was a late night and the next morning I was cranky for my daily installment of idiot jump around central, they were playing volleyball, of-course I felt it all a waste of time and would prefered to nap if I couldn't learn anything useful.  Got into a fight with one classmate moron who said I wasn't applying myself, it didn't help that he was my cousin and I told him he was about as worthless as his parents and if they could work as hard as they could jump around the world would be a better place.......................then the idiot teacher got involved and I told him I did more work before breakfast than he did the last 3 days................Well, I went to the office the rest of that week, well worth it IMO.  The principle who I see often has long be retired but he claimed they were trying to fail me because of gym class, inwhich you either passed or failed, no inbetween, which would have caused me not to graduate.  He said how would that look when you have a student with A's and B's not graduate because of something as useless as gym...................He got his way and I graduated without incident.  Looking back, if they could have took all that wasted time jumping around and taught me something useful, like how to construct and use computer spreadsheets, that sure would have been more helpful than how to hit a ball IMO.

I managed school all right - right through post grad and still learning.

And that doesn't make me any smarter than people I went to school with who haven't collected pieces of paper - maybe just in some fields.

Highlight of primary school was when the school inspector asked "What was Mark Twain's real name" and I was the first ever to answer him.  I won sixpence.

3 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i was doing great until they started putting letters with the numbers in math...........😨

I agree, like D- and F and days absent.  Those were horrible!

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

I managed school all right - right through post grad and still learning.

And that doesn't make me any smarter than people I went to school with who haven't collected pieces of paper - maybe just in some fields.

Highlight of primary school was when the school inspector asked "What was Mark Twain's real name" and I was the first ever to answer him.  I won sixpence.

Samuel Clemens! I only learned that in college because there's a building named after him. And here's the funny part -I learned it in a German class!

On 9/18/2019 at 9:43 PM, Sledgehammer said:

I didn’t enjoy Math at all. The rest didn’t bother me too much. Most of my math teachers were responsible for me not liking math. Good luck Pete

That holds true for any subject. Freshman yr had a lady teacher. Loved her and math. (Algebra) and sophmore year was a guy that only liked girls who play basketball. I dropped out mid simester and took a shop class. We were gonna kill each other. Luckily i didnt need any more math credits. 

• Like 1

To us computer geeks A B C D E F are actual numbers 10 to 15 in the 4 bit hexidecimal number system so an F grade would by a (decimal) 15.  You count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F.,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,1A,1B,1C,1D,1F.  Years ago, before hand-held caculators, I learned to do math in any number system. Today it's caculator easy to divide A75FC1 BY FFAA2 my calulator  gives the answer A.

• Confused 5

I remember a PE teacher giving me a rough time about my inability to do pull ups.  He said that my classmate had no problem.  I told him that smaller people only have to lift 85#. I have to lift 235!  How much weight can he hold over his head?  He agreed that I was in good physical shape when I invited him to come toss and stack small square bales of hay with me some 90 degree afternoon!  😊

• Like 1

If there was any possible way to not go to school, I found it! I strongly dislike it today as much as when I had to go. I hate it when one of my hired guys isn't around during school hours. I would have loved to go through high school like my FIL did. He always said on the first day of high school I went in the front door and then right out the back door and never went back. Man if I cood ave gotton awy wid dat!

On 9/20/2019 at 10:18 AM, oleman said:

my calulator  gives the answer A.

I had a calculator like that once, chucked it in the trash😂

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I had a calculator like that once, chucked it in the trash😂

We all had to have graphing calculators in school, I had a TI 83, as did everyone in my class. There were all the school ones around that were TI82+. Used to pass notes on them, as long as there was a calculator in front of someone it didn’t look suspicious, and they alllooked the same. 

Not EVERYONE had a cell phone and it didn’t matter because they didn’t work at school or anywhere else for that matter 

• Like 1
On 9/18/2019 at 9:57 PM, Pete1468 said:

My 6th grade daughter wants help with her science homework.  I hated school and am remembering why.  I barely did my homework and now I'm having to help someone else do theirs.  Don't get me started on their "easy" math.  I did pretty good in shop class and metals but I don't think my daughter will take those.

I would help your daughter cause your lucky she asked you ,really !  Very positive opportunity 

Just now, 560Dennis said:

I would help your daughter cause your lucky she asked you ,really !  Very positive opportunity 

I'm the one that helps her as my wife says get your father, I'm no good at math.

35 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We all had to have graphing calculators in school, I had a TI 83, as did everyone in my class. There were all the school ones around that were TI82+. Used to pass notes on them, as long as there was a calculator in front of someone it didn’t look suspicious, and they alllooked the same. 

Not EVERYONE had a cell phone and it didn’t matter because they didn’t work at school or anywhere else for that matter 

Jeeze............We thought we were living the dream firing up the old Apple II's to do some word processing, or running the projector, or firing up the TV that was on a cart as each school only had one...............WITH A VHS TAPE PLAYER!

I loved reading and that helped me get through school but was terrible in math. Only got though college by taking my 1 required math course during a winter session course. With no one around  I was forced to do nothing but math for 4 weeks. Just barely passed with a C.

My Pop rest his soul (would be in his 90's now) never got past the 7th grade but was an amazing carpenter. Could build homes from the foundation up. (Literally,  from taking the transit out to an open lot, laying out the foundation right up to the roofing) Was capable in all trades: plumbing, masonry, carpentry of course but did not like electrical. Always told his 5 boys to leave that for the electricians. 

He retired into remodeling kitchens and baths. Turned the garage into his shop. He tried to teach me how to build cabinets and the like but other than gluing laminate for countertops,  I was pretty much useless. He  had virtually no education but could drop a corner sink into a counter top perfectly everytime. Same with laying out stairs. I've seen many good carpenters screw up steps over and over, the old man would just take a few measurements,  take the pencil out from behind his ear,  draw a crude picture, and ther e thou have it,  perfectly fitted steps. The talent skipped right past me, that's how I ended up in college in the 1st place, I would have starved as a carpenter!

I miss watching my pop work. Never frantic or rushed, easy pace,  efficient motion, and even if he was  just using a shovel always seemed to get a more done then the next guy.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Jeeze............We thought we were living the dream firing up the old Apple II's to do some word processing, or running the projector, or firing up the TV that was on a cart as each school only had one...............WITH A VHS TAPE PLAYER!

We had laser disks, like a DVD the size of a vinyl record. That was going to be the wave of the future 

I loved reading and that helped me get through school but was terrible in math. Only got though college by taking my 1 required math course during a winter session course. With no one around  I was forced to do nothing but math for 4 weeks. Just barely passed with a C.

My Pop rest his soul (would be in his 90's now) never got past the 7th grade but was an amazing carpenter. Could build homes from the foundation up. (Literally,  from taking the transit out to an open lot, laying out the foundation right up to the roofing) Was capable in all trades: plumbing, masonry, carpentry of course but did not like electrical. Always told his 5 boys to leave that for the electricians. 

He retired into remodeling kitchens and baths. Turned the garage into his shop. He tried to teach me how to build cabinets and the like but other than gluing laminate for countertops,  I was pretty much useless. He  had virtually no education but could drop a corner sink into a counter top perfectly everytime. Same with laying out stairs. I've seen many good carpenters screw up steps over and over, the old man would just take a few measurements,  take the pencil out from behind his ear,  draw a crude picture, and ther e thou have it,  perfectly fitted steps. The talent skipped right past me, that's how I ended up in college in the 1st place, I would have starved as a carpenter!

I miss watching my pop work. Never frantic or rushed, easy pace,  efficient motion, and even if he was  just using a shovel always seemed to get a more done then the next guy.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DXFIUm0DWA74&ved=0ahUKEwiX5MSlkOfkAhVqUt8KHQmnBJAQt9IBCKoBMBg&usg=AOvVaw2oRSN52DQaMgYdsqRzNzMS

We had the hand crank mimeograph and for punishment we were sent to the closet to run it. Bout passed out from the ink fumes. Might explain a few things😆

I guess I am dated with saying I remember the that fine smell of mimeograph fluid. Yes I started college when they expected us to use a slide rule. Why do I remember obscure things about different models of tractor but not math formulas. Some days sure would be better if I did remember,cause it gets expensive to mess up a herbicide application in either over or under.

My dad did not finish high school because his dad rented 320 acres 10 miles away in his senior year and moved him out there for weeks at a time. He liked school and was even in sports. He made up his mind his kids were going to college. Kind of ingrained in me before I started school.

I did Ok in school, actually did better in college,as most ag business classes were just common sense to me. Lucky for my kids there mother that I meet in ag business classes really wanted to be a school teacher. And became one when last one of our kids started school. The only thing I take any credit of teaching was that the kindergarten teacher of the youngest was crazy and we were not cutting the rainforest faster than it could grow. 😉 I may have done to good 🤣 some subjects you could think he is channeling  Art.🤣 I would of been happy with him spouting Old Tanker.🤣

Math homework with mom someday's would get tense and I would get called on. After I confused them furter, they begged to get mom back.