26 years after school, I still hate it.

My 6th grade daughter wants help with her science homework.  I hated school and am remembering why.  I barely did my homework and now I'm having to help someone else do theirs.  Don't get me started on their "easy" math.  I did pretty good in shop class and metals but I don't think my daughter will take those.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These days you'd do even worse as you didn't specify which gender of purple

To us computer geeks A B C D E F are actual numbers 10 to 15 in the 4 bit hexidecimal number system so an F grade would by a (decimal) 15.  You count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F.,10,11,12,13,14,15

I saw this quote the other day:- "I left school at 13 when I realised that it was impeding my education"    

Whenever I help my kids who are upper elementary and junior high, with their math homework I need to spend time with their book to try to figure out how to do it first. 

I didn’t enjoy Math at all. The rest didn’t bother me too much. Most of my math teachers were responsible for me not liking math. Good luck Pete

• Like 1

The last time I helped anyone with homework it was one of my nieces. About 25 years ago. It was algebra (never did well in that), and she was in French immersion (first time I was kicked out of a course was French). 

• Haha 1

I had a terrible time with algebra until mid grade 10, switched to a different class and that teacher got through to me, had great marks in math from then on, I got a 91 in grade 11 math and an 86 in grade 12, overall high school average of 58, I liked math because there was only one answer and not open to interpretation like English class

• Like 2

Math was never a problem for me - as far as I took it, and that was only through Algebra II. I never had to help my kids either as they went way above me. My son just barely got through Calc II while my daughter, the wizard, finally admitted to it getting hard at around Calc 5 or something like that. I would look at what she was doing and it might as well have been a different language - waay beyond my understanding.

In my life, I've never needed anything beyond algebra so it's worked out Ok for me. I wouldn't have minded more as a mind exercise but it wasn't in the cards.

I like maths. It is either correct or wrong. No ifs or buts either Right or wrong.

Now don't get me started on English...

"State your opinion on," this or that element of the story.

Or

"What do you think the author meant by," this or that?

Usually meant to answer with some socially aware reason as to why.

I famously answered, " the author described the house as purple in colour because the author liked purple."

Apparently that was wrong. But it was my thoughts.

As long as your opinion is the same as the teachers your fine....

I do not follow the herd so I was always at odds with the teachers.

• Like 2

Science and math were easier for me . English and social studies I didn't like as much.. I didn't do as well as I should have in 12th grade in math because of my schedule and tech school the only math class that fit was algebra II /trig/pre calculus . It was first class in the morning and I was still asleep and the teacher wasn't the best as others who usually did well didn't do as well as usual. Because I had algebra I in 11th that was the only class I could have. 

I didn't understand the new method at all the other year when one of the kids needed help with understanding their math . They got the right answer each time when using the method I learned but I couldn't understand at all how this new no child left behind process worked

My old man was great at math, lousy at helping me with it. Always ended up in a shouting match. I did well with English, history and even science, I could BS a paper in an hour and pull off an A-, never figured out how to bluff my way through algebra.

It's been almost 10 years since I had to help with homework, what I found is that the teaching methods were so different than when I was in school that it made it a lot harder than it should have been. My middle daughter really struggled with math and would always tell me that I was not showing her how to solve a problem the same way her teacher was.....:unsure: I had a hard time with math and finally passed Algebra 1 in 10'th grade, I had it the first time in 8'th grade...…:huh: After high school I had a math professor who really "clicked" with me and I got through all 3 College algebra and trig classes that were required for electrical/electronics engineering degree. Once it was applied and seem to have a purpose it was much easier for me to understand.

• Like 1

The worst part for me was people who were influencial in my life always said about certain things..............."You will never need or use that".................So I didn't apply myself and did the bare minimum.  Unfortunately they were completely wrong and the math and sciences are extremely useful and are needed, just nobody I was around, and even teachers as far as that goes, could usefully connect any of the stuff we were learning to real life.  Just knowing that now and using Geometry and Trig around here and involving my older son in the process has helped alot in him wanting to learn.  He understands its importance and that helps alot.  

• Like 2

Not to be a contrarian, but I liked school. I really like learning. I didn't care for a lot of my teachers but I still like to learn things.

There's an application for everything I learned, including the Calculus, Chem, World History, and English 102 (barf), the whole nine. Not just in my job, what I know enriches my hobbies as well as my career. That's not to say I couldn't be interested in and learn about old tractors without it, but I feel I do it all better as a result of education.

I know may be in the minority, and while I think I could hold my own in a debate about it, I'm not looking to pick a fight. I do know formal post-secondary "education" as it was pitched to my generation is not nearly as life or death as my HS made it, but I love the **** out of learning. It's why I still bum around around on the UB Campus and volunteer there when I can. I like the atmosphere of the educational pursuit and I like helping current students in their own.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

My old man was great at math, lousy at helping me with it. Always ended up in a shouting match. I did well with English, history and even science, I could BS a paper in an hour and pull off an A-, never figured out how to bluff my way through algebra.

I was the same way (with class not Dad). English was pretty easy.  History and Science were a breeze for me. I even figured out how to BS my way through Spanish and Advanced Composition but Math just didn’t compute (pun intended). My best friend to this day sat next to me in algebra 2. We often joke that if you added our grades together it wouldn’t have been a good one but in reality neither of us failed, just struggled. The teacher delighted in giving 100+ problems per night in homework which thoroughly annoyed me. I didn’t need it then and I’ve never needed it since. I have used advanced math in life and work but never much algebra. I still think there is a special place you know where for that Algebra lady.  

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

"I left school at 13 when I realised that it was impeding my education"

24 minutes ago, MTO said:

After meeting him, I struggle to believe the OP attended school!   :blush:

Please refer back to the above quote. That pretty much sums it up 😁

1 hour ago, MTO said:

After meeting him, I struggle to believe the OP attended school!   :blush:

I'm much cooler on the internet aren't I, or should I say we are?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

I'm much cooler on the internet aren't I, or should I say we are?

Are you sitting in front of the black box again ? :)

IMO basically everyone is in school until they are no longer among us or they have learned everything there is to know.

Some of us take a long time to learn it all. Recently I discovered I like European style opera, never get too old for education!

Anyone ever disassemble a VOITH D864.3e automatic transmission?

I must be odd, well I know I am as I learn by doing or watching it done.  Never did do very well testing.  Maybe part of it was I never took any homework home.  I did all of it in school or possibly on the bus ride home.

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Are you sitting in front of the black box again ? :)

I haven't used it since redpower, I'm nervous MTO put something in the water to bring the value down so I'd sell it to him.

• Haha 1