Ih combine, JD head

Bdse25

So I have found myself in a situation where I have a John Deere head, a 643 corn head off a 7720 sitting at a farm with no real way to load it onto my header cart.  The farmer has a 2188 and I’m wondering if those machines have a feeder house similar enough to a 7720 JD that he could pick it up to set it on a cart. Not trying to run it or even transport it.  Just lift it to set it on the cart.  

Thanks, Ben

Is this just a one time deal to load the head?

Is there anyone else that has a John Deere combine in the area?

How creative is the farmer willing to get with chains and blocking to chain the head to the feeder house?

Are there any large tow trucks nearby that would be willing to lift the head for you?

Neighbors with a backhoe or loader?  I lifted 8 rows with my 580 Super L.  You will need to block out at the bottom because you don't have the side hill shafts on a 7720, but a chain around the top of the throat on each side to the bucket with forks and you can lift it right up.

I think it will work.   The opening in the Deere head is larger.   The lip on the IH feederhouse should go inside and there should be enough on the bottom to catch. We run Deere heads on our IH combines.   Would have to go to farm to confirm.    We are using 1400 series combine though.   

9BDE3098-7CB1-450A-9B8B-A598818DA6BC.jpeg

F63FD98B-45AB-4FEA-ADF2-A75719693E24.jpeg

9392DEDC-97B0-40B1-B702-954FCD335C46.jpeg

22 hours ago, nate said:

I think it will work.   The opening in the Deere head is larger.   The lip on the IH feederhouse should go inside and there should be enough on the bottom to catch. We run Deere heads on our IH combines.   Would have to go to farm to confirm.    We are using 1400 series combine though.   

9BDE3098-7CB1-450A-9B8B-A598818DA6BC.jpeg

F63FD98B-45AB-4FEA-ADF2-A75719693E24.jpeg

9392DEDC-97B0-40B1-B702-954FCD335C46.jpeg

How does it work with the 920 head? I think Deere flex heads are a much better head. Corn head not so much

15 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

How does it work with the 920 head? I think Deere flex heads are a much better head. Corn head not so much

We are running the header height manually on the 920 and can cut beans with  the best of them.   I have ran a 1020 IH bean head and will say the Deere flex is better.   Our corn head had stainless stalk rolls in it when we got it and it does a decent job.    We used to run a Deere combine hence why we made the adapters.   Then we upgraded heads and dad bought on condition rather than color.   

So your not running AHHC on it?

I always felt Deere's 900 flexes were great heads................I always said if I need a combine again, 1660 or 1680, hang a 920 or 925 on it, and a IH corn head and go to work.  I am sure one of the companys out there could adapt the AHHC between the 2.

Been combining wet tangled wheat. The 930 flex on the 8820 locked up will out cut the 1020 locked up on the 2588. The jd has bigger poly so that helps and I should tip the feeder plate some on the 2588. Funny thing the sickle seems smoother on the jd also but they both use same oil bath drive. 

12 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I always felt Deere's 900 flexes were great heads................I always said if I need a combine again, 1660 or 1680, hang a 920 or 925 on it, and a IH corn head and go to work.  I am sure one of the companys out there could adapt the AHHC between the 2.

Have done many @ Headsight.  You have to have a potentiometer sensor on the head, not the old DAM box.    So first,  the sensor upgrade package, then an adapter harness.     If your head is a 900F, then a conversion harness set will get you both height and tilt.   Its actually one of the cheaper conversions.

9 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Have done many @ Headsight.  You have to have a potentiometer sensor on the head, not the old DAM box.    So first,  the sensor upgrade package, then an adapter harness.     If your head is a 900F, then a conversion harness set will get you both height and tilt.   Its actually one of the cheaper conversions.

How about a jd 635 to a 2588

On September 20, 2019 at 7:32 PM, dale560 said:

You want to run a Hydro-Flex bulldozer?    Neighbors had an early one, I think they should have painted it cat yellow and just shortened the model to D-6.......they got fed up with it and traded it for a new one that seems to work better, but riding with him last year it didn't seem to work any better than a well dialed in late 900 series head to me atleast.........of-course my fillings were vibrating out, they went from a 9560 to a Early S660 and man are those things loud inside the cab!  

18 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

You want to run a Hydro-Flex bulldozer?    Neighbors had an early one, I think they should have painted it cat yellow and just shortened the model to D-6.......they got fed up with it and traded it for a new one that seems to work better, but riding with him last year it didn't seem to work any better than a well dialed in late 900 series head to me atleast.........of-course my fillings were vibrating out, they went from a 9560 to a Early S660 and man are those things loud inside the cab!  

Want to get a 35 ft header so either a 3020 or a 635 flex. We have short soybeans up here the jd just seems to cut better.

We had a 220 and a 444 jd head on a 1480 and then a 1680.  I hooked up a potentiometer in the 1680 and it worked well.  We got a 1020 30ft and it fed better then the 220 with stainless steel floor.  The distance between the cycle and auger is greater in the JD which I thought was the problem.  The corn head we had to speed up as we took 3 gearboxes out in 2 years.  Dad still has the bish head adapter to change it over in the combine.  It's been sitting there for 6-7 years.

Pete, I don't believe the 200 series green heads were worth the fuel it took to set them on the scrap pile.  I don't believe a ton changed between the 200's and 900's, but the 900's just work so much better for some reason.............as far as the green corn head, they just give me indigestion, but they were better than the horrendous mess new idea had for the Uni systems so can't complain too much.

We had the green corn head for 15 years on green combines and never did a thing to it.  It was a good head but it needed sped up to run on the red combine.  The double drive gear in the gearbox would give up.

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I would say a 635 is a better option than a 3020, although I have to ask, why not a draper?  

Money and if soybeans are short and mole hills drapers give fits. Drapers need the center delivery apron every couple years at a 1000 a pop. Here they will plug the canvas and you have to get out loosen canvas dig dirt out sometimes they won’t do it for a week sometimes 20 times a day. Probably end up with a Draper though in a few years when we can afford it. Then we need a grain cart. 30 ft header at 60 bushel you can make 1:2,mile pass up and down return to truck at end of field . Combine 3.6 acres a round. 35 ft would be 4.25 or around there. Hopper won’t make it same distance on good wheat. But that width would be perfect for soybeans.

With the differences in the way they attach I would not try to lift a head on the cart with the red combine.  With my luck I would have it half way over the cart and fall off wrecking both the cart and head. With the comments on a Deere head doing a better job than a red head, some adjustments need to be done.  Deere better than a 820 or 2020 I wouldn't argue, but both of those heads are built similar to a Deere.  The reason you will not see a 820/1020 on a Deere is the fact that the feeder is narrower than Deere and an adapter sets the head further ahead leaving a "dead" area between the auger and feeder chain.  If a 1020/3020 is not shaving the ground or pushing the first thing to check is the back sheet  angle.  A 1020 should be 10deg. 2020 17deg. 3020 15deg.  adjustments to this angle may be necessary but start there.  On all combines with header problems check the tire pressure, on tire lower on pressure or a different height (different tire).  On non field tracker combines check that the header is parallel to the ground, if it is not you need to twist the feeder with the draw bolt so that it is.  Make sure the poly is in good shape and doesn't have holes causing crop to drag.  Make sure the feelers are free and completely return to touch the arms.  The  feelers can be individually adjusted to touch the arms.  If the cutterbar backer bar is bent it will cause dragging, it can be bent back with blocks and pallet forks.  If your red head is not cutting with or out cutting a Deere look it over because it can.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:32 PM, dale560 said:

Yes.  Sold a lot of packages for that conversion.   We also have a conversion kit to put newer CIH head on a 1000 or 2000 series combine w/o scewing up the wiring on either combine or head.

First you need to go to the hardware store and get a magnetic protractor.  You put the protractor on the backsheet between the auger trough and top frame tube. Ideally the angle is checked in the field in operating position with a half full hopper.  If checking in the yard just set the head down so that the cutterbar just touches.  If the angle is incorrect you need to change the faceplate angle.  On a 1400 series you need to remove the bolts and choose the set of holes that are closest to the angle you want.  On a 1600 or newer you loosen ALL the bolts and use the draw bolts on the faceplate to adjust the angle, the draw bolts won't pull the plate back with a head on it.  I'll post a pic with a 2020 off a combine on the ground 

IMG_20190923_142049853_HDR.jpg

Archived