International 886

886 Steering quits when using hydraulic remotes

Ok fellows totally new this forum deal but was told you guys could help me out . My 886 will lock up the steering if you pull your hydraulic lever say to raise a harrow. But once you return lever back to neutral position it will go back to working. So it gets kinda hairy at the end of the field when turning around lol!!!  Ive changed hydraulic filter and fluid but didnt fix it. I was told  that steering took priority as far as fluid supply went but its getting robbed some where and i dont know where to start so im up for suggestions.

22 hours ago, International 886 said:

Ok fellows totally new this forum deal but was told you guys could help me out . My 886 will lock up the steering if you pull your hydraulic lever say to raise a harrow. But once you return lever back to neutral position it will go back to working. So it gets kinda hairy at the end of the field when turning around lol!!!  Ive changed hydraulic filter and fluid but didnt fix it. I was told  that steering took priority as far as fluid supply went but its getting robbed some where and i dont know where to start so im up for suggestions.

If I were you I would ask this question in the general section, you will get more help!  this section is more or less for the websites questions! 

On 9/17/2019 at 11:49 AM, Qc.Can.IH man said:

If I were you I would ask this question in the general section, you will get more help!  this section is more or less for the websites questions! 

I moved this topic from the Support board to General IH.

BJ

• Thanks 1

Auxillary valve and steering share only fluid, filter and drive shaft on this model. Does pto stop when using auxillary?

How long since the hydraulic filter was changed?  Is the hy-Tran level at the full level?  Are you hearing a squealing noise too?  If so I would suspect the clutch back plate splines that drive both pumps.  Good luck.

My 1086 does this. I assume the steering pump is toast. Makes it a real pain trying to use the loader. Thx-Ace

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 3:46 PM, axial_al said:

How long since the hydraulic filter was changed?  Is the hy-Tran level at the full level?  Are you hearing a squealing noise too?  If so I would suspect the clutch back plate splines that drive both pumps.  Good luck.

He said he changed the fluid and filter. But he didn't say what he put in it for oil.

The pto keeps turning. And i changed the filter and fluid bout 100 hrs ago but it was doing it before i changed them . This issue is super aggravating not to say pretty dangerous.   I couldn't imagine trying to run a loader stacking hay while this issue was going on. And no there is no noise when u pull levers. and i used regular hydraulic fluid 

53 minutes ago, International 886 said:

. and i used regular hydraulic fluid 

Not to start another oil post, but we're wanting to know exactly what oil you used. Hopefully it was good, quality hydraulic/transmission fluid and not just 'hydraulic' fluid.

Travis

Your tractor has a super charge line where the rear pump supplies fluid to mcv pump.  When you use rear pump that flow to mcv pump stops and then mcv pump has to pull it's fluid through filter.  So, your problem is in that circuit.  Could be, Worn pump or sucking air,  or blocked supply . Will need to check from filter to mcv pump.  Mcv pump supplies all tractor controls, steering, TA, brakes and lube circuit.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pete23 said:

Your tractor has a super charge line where the rear pump supplies fluid to mcv pump.  When you use rear pump that flow to mcv pump stops and then mcv pump has to pull it's fluid through filter.  So, your problem is in that circuit.  Could be, Worn pump or sucking air,  or blocked supply . Will need to check from filter to mcv pump.  Mcv pump supplies all tractor controls, steering, TA, brakes and lube circuit.  

Thanks Pete. I was throwing in the towel. Completely forgot about that added line.

2 hours ago, pete23 said:

This problem was addressed in a service bulletin not very long after the 86 series came out. We installed a supercharge elimination kit to take care of the problem 

https://www.superiortractorparts.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=39005

43 minutes ago, striker782 said:

This problem was addressed in a service bulletin not very long after the 86 series came out. We installed a supercharge elimination kit to take care of the problem 

https://www.superiortractorparts.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=39005

Yes, I know of that bulletin but if you read father into it, eleminating that supercharge line adds more oil flow through the filter which is over taxed to begin with.  The 66 series used a nine gal mcv pump, 86 series used a 12 gal mcv pump.  The 66 series had plenty of problems with cavitation on that mcv pump the way it was an the supercharge line helps reduce that problem.  Cold weather use is when the elemination of the supercharge line gives you the most problems.  

A normal operating system will still operate with just an occasional blip when using the remote which could cause red light to blink or steering wheel to jerk for an instance.   I for one was never in favor of removing the line and never did.   Repairing the cause is a better option for me. 

If I remember correctly, we installed the kits on three tractors and never experienced any problems at all on any of them. Before we did, the big complaint was that the steering wheel would lock up momentarily while starting to turn on the end of the field and raising the disc at the same time. 

2 hours ago, striker782 said:

If I remember correctly, we installed the kits on three tractors and never experienced any problems at all on any of them. Before we did, the big complaint was that the steering wheel would lock up momentarily while starting to turn on the end of the field and raising the disc at the same time. 

Like  I said, I never installed any kits and we sold a lot of 86 series tractors.  Some blinking  lube lights upon using aux valves and a jerk in steering wheel on occasion. 

We sold a lot of them also. Seems like it was the earlier ones that bothered. Have no idea why. Put the kits on the three that had the most complaints 

We just had a 1086 in the shop that acted very similar, but the MCV pump would totally quit anytime the front end was up hill and the auxiliary valves were being used. Turned out the MCV pump gear retaining nut had came off of the MCV and either the nut or the shaft key had totally wiped out the pump shaft seal. The gear could not move enough for the gear or the key to come completely out, so the pump was still turning and worked OK when it was submerged in oil. Evidently the super charge line supplied enough oil to the pump when ever the auxiliary valve were in neutral that it worked OK then.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:49 AM, pete23 said:

Really good info right here. This will be helpful to a lot of people.