PTO will not disengage

Wayne Hume

22 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Does it turn still under load or free wheels not hooked to anything?

I haven’t had it under load yet, snowblower hasn’t arrived yet. 

Should that matter?

stuck our boot to see if we could stop it and wasn’t able to stop it. 

Don't ever stick your boot,foot ,hand ,clothes etc anywhere near or on it.If your shoelace would have gotten caught it would have very least broke your ankle,could have tore your leg off or wrapped your body around it and killed you in a second.Ptos killed many and we all had close calls.

I would need to get in parts book to confirm but I think there was a service bulletin where they updated the pto brake system. Done several of them years ago, some we just put back like they where due to expense of updating.

34 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

I would need to get in parts book to confirm but I think there was a service bulletin where they updated the pto brake system. Done several of them years ago, some we just put back like they where due to expense of updating.

If it was a bulletin wouldn’t the dealer have it still in there system?

So that would be like a recall for that issue. I should be able to see if this one ever had the recall. 

Would be great to know what was replaced on recall as my father in law plans to fix it him self for me.  

If it's the brake, the drag from an implement should be able to stop the PTO from spinning.

On the chance that it spins the snowblower, that probably means the PTO clutch has failed. I checked the parts book and it has a typical basket-fibers-steels wet clutch setup for the PTO. What happens is they fail and wedge, and won't disengage.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:15 AM, Wayne Hume said:

If it was a bulletin wouldn’t the dealer have it still in there system?

So that would be like a recall for that issue. I should be able to see if this one ever had the recall. 

Would be great to know what was replaced on recall as my father in law plans to fix it him self for me.  

No, a service bulletin is not like a recall.  They are not required, or "free".

On 9/18/2019 at 7:56 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

If it's the brake, the drag from an implement should be able to stop the PTO from spinning.

On the chance that it spins the snowblower, that probably means the PTO clutch has failed. I checked the parts book and it has a typical basket-fibers-steels wet clutch setup for the PTO. What happens is they fail and wedge, and won't disengage.

Looks like you were right. 

The blowers on and the pto has stopped turning. 

Thanks man. 

B78A3DF6-04EF-4304-8815-B027C9439A8F.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Fix it, please. Too many have been hurt or worse with repairs neglected. It likely won't be you that gets hurt, it will be someone helping you or borrowing your tractor. Likely the brake and or clutched of the PTO need to be replaced. If you can't afford it right now, save up the money and do it as soon as possible. Nobody that has seen a PTO accident ever says, " that injury is cheaper than fixing the tractor would have been". If a tie rod was falling apart it would be taken care, this is no different. For you and you family's sake, please fix it. 

• Like 1

I've seen the clutch linings separate from the disks and get wedged between each other making the pto turn all the time. By all means fix it please, it's an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1