Sign in to follow this  
Reichow7120

Fox chopper parts and head locator

We own a Fox 3300 forage chopper from the mid 70s. We only have a hay pickup head on it and we haven't used it since 2015 to chop hay.

Chopping corn we are teamed up with a neighbor with a self propelled JD chopper (5440). We helped him fill his silos and he brought his stuff to fill our silo for the cost of fuel. It has worked great. However the neighbor quit feeding cattle a year ago and only has his beef cow herd now. The chopper is flat wore out. He brought the chopper over for us to chop and today's session of trying to fill our silo turned into a complete and utter cluster, you know what. All day we managed to chop 1 load. 4 seperate things went wrong. At this rate the silo will be full about New Years. With him quitting feeding cattle money isn't obviously going to be put into the above mentioned chopper. The Fox we have doesn't have anywhere near the wear on it that the Deere does so we're beginning to wonder if this is a better option for what acreage we're going to chop. I realize that Fox is a orphan, ******* brand but we already have the base and would like to find a narrow row corn head for it if it is at all possible.

I remember someone telling about a place somewhere that specialized in Fox chopper parts and i was wondering if they are still in business and if they may have a possible lead on corn heads for these. Thank you for any help. 

try Works Sales in Indiana 812-534-3472. they have been Fox dealers for a loong time. also try Fox Forage Equipment Enthusiasts group on Facebook. lots of people all over the country.

try chopper shop Colby wis 715 223 8060 Mennonite lots of connections they seem to have

neighbors used to run Fox. its been 10 years or more since they used theirs, no more cattle. they had a couple different pull types with 2 row narrow heads and a self propelled with a 3 row narrow head. they might be still sitting around in the weeds somewhere. i have no idea how specific the heads are to a certain model.

1 hour ago, Takn4aFool said:

neighbors used to run Fox. its been 10 years or more since they used theirs, no more cattle. they had a couple different pull types with 2 row narrow heads and a self propelled with a 3 row narrow head. they might be still sitting around in the weeds somewhere. i have no idea how specific the heads are to a certain model.

afaik, Fox only used 2 types of mounts. the early heads had 2 upside down Vs that fit over pegs on the side of the intake raddle, and a threaded Tee bolt that locked the head down. I'm talking early-mid 60's. the other mount went on more like a corn head on a feeder house, iirc.

1 hour ago, ny bill o said:

afaik, Fox only used 2 types of mounts. the early heads had 2 upside down Vs that fit over pegs on the side of the intake raddle, and a threaded Tee bolt that locked the head down. I'm talking early-mid 60's. the other mount went on more like a corn head on a feeder house, iirc.

So there isn't any difference amongst the different model mounts after the change over? So if i found a head off of a newer Fox chopper, it would fit on our 3300? Like possibly a 3310?

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

So there isn't any difference amongst the different model mounts after the change over? So if i found a head off of a newer Fox chopper, it would fit on our 3300? Like possibly a 3310?

I think that would be the case. Works's could verify for you.

57 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I think that would be the case. Works's could verify for you.

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify the style shown in the pics is the later style? Or early style?(Found these on the Fox Facebook page) Ours is a 3300 like the one in the picture.

FB_IMG_1568593690634.jpg

FB_IMG_1568593699410.jpg

It's possible to modify something like a NH 824 head to fit ? 

That is a later style Fox.  The earlier machines had a massive feed apron in front of the lower feed roll.  I don’t know what the difference is in the mountings but I’m as sure as I can be that the heads aren’t interchangeable.  I am also under the impression that the newer Fox design didn’t feed as well as the older design.  The newer heads I think use accordioned  rubber belts for gathering chains.  

We had a fox when I was a young helper but it went away when I was probably 12 or 13. Remember it plugging a lot hitting the reverser. Then dad got a 2000-150 hesston we still have but haven’t used in 10 years. Same reason you have neighbors have a good self propelled 4 row nicer wagons I trade out combining to fill my silo every other year 

start surfing ''craig's list''  there are several Fox chopper units in Wi,Mn.

Mike

3 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

We had a fox when I was a young helper but it went away when I was probably 12 or 13. Remember it plugging a lot hitting the reverser. Then dad got a 2000-150 hesston we still have but haven’t used in 10 years. Same reason you have neighbors have a good self propelled 4 row nicer wagons I trade out combining to fill my silo every other year 

Like I said that was the agreement and it has worked great til the last few years. The chopper is flat wore out and with him quitting feeding cattle there is not going to be a upgrade or a huge amount of money dumped into it to make it dependable. Im just trying to think ahead here on what to possibly do. We have the Fox base unit with a hay head, but no corn head. Im just trying to find a narrow row corn head to fit on it. I really don't need another complete chopper.

We're sitting right now waiting for parts. The last breakdown was the main bearing for the knife drum. NTN bearing exclusive to John Deere. Can't get it anywhere but Deere. Only can get it through Deere and its a odd size. The dealer had one heck of a time figuring out the bearing because it is a different drum from what a normal 5440 has. Deere doesn't give dimensions on the bearings and there are 4 different options. NTN number on the bearing is no good. Deere has their own number you order. Haven't got anything done and im already fed up chopping.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Like I said that was the agreement and it has worked great til the last few years. The chopper is flat wore out and with him quitting feeding cattle there is not going to be a upgrade or a huge amount of money dumped into it to make it dependable. Im just trying to think ahead here on what to possibly do. We have the Fox base unit with a hay head, but no corn head. Im just trying to find a narrow row corn head to fit on it. I really don't need another complete chopper.

We're sitting right now waiting for parts. The last breakdown was the main bearing for the knife drum. NTN bearing exclusive to John Deere. Can't get it anywhere but Deere. Only can get it through Deere and its a odd size. The dealer had one heck of a time figuring out the bearing because it is a different drum from what a normal 5440 has. Deere doesn't give dimensions on the bearings and there are 4 different options. NTN number on the bearing is no good. Deere has their own number you order. Haven't got anything done and im already fed up chopping.

Kooima.com has lots of JD chopper parts

22 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Thanks but no. We were literally at a NTN dealer (Applied concepts, formerly Detroit Ball Bearing) and the parts man after finally finding a good number that the number on the bearing subbed too.  Came back and said that Deere had some type of rights to it and it was only sold through Deere. He had a call to the head company seeing if they would be willing to send one to him but we haven't heard back from him a 4 o clock this afternoon. 

We went back to Deere and with a wing and a prayer we might have figured out what one it might be, but we have to wait until they get it tomorrow morning to be for certain.

When we were getting ready to chop this year we all had a bad feeling about the chopper and so far our hunch has been correct.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify the style shown in the pics is the later style? Or early style?(Found these on the Fox Facebook page) Ours is a 3300 like the one in the picture.

FB_IMG_1568593690634.jpg

FB_IMG_1568593699410.jpg

that is the newer style. any heads with that setup will fit your chopper. my 6250 has a 3 row belt head. only problem with it feeding is when you get into super tall silage varieties.

100_3272.thumb.JPG.7ab728f41e35be0a3f10fe5a6d47c391.JPG

100_3263.thumb.JPG.f8dbba7775113c425a91f1d7e025042d.JPG

I have no pictures to help illustrate unfortunately.  If you look at that new style head pictured above you can see that the tin is low profile. The old heads have a much clunkier profile, I would say the tin on those is at least 3 times taller at the rear of the head. I think they (the old heads) had 3 sets of gathering chains per row.  We used to run old Foxes. Super 1000, 3000, and a Super D which was an SP machine with a Super 1000 cutting unit and either a 4-71 Detroit or an I-6 Continental L478 gas guzzler for power. 

these are the best pictures I have of the old style head on my 1961 Fox SPF. you can see how far above the 28" drive tires the tinwork is, compared to the new style head.

100_1852.thumb.JPG.0e55474c6b00eead0f0be442ee82a3fd.JPG

100_1854.thumb.JPG.b1e1bb52b31493ab8c61e6f72b3a9ff8.JPG

Thanks for the help and info guys. Hopefully I can find a head for our chopper.

The pictures are of the offending bearing. Its the left bearing for the knife drum. We did end up ordering the right bearing, so we got it back together after 10 this morning. We proceeded to get 5 loads up the silo. We're in business, right? Wrong. Just about lunch time the chopper sprung a massive hydraulic oil leak around the main line going from the  hydrostatic pump to the hydraulic drive motor. Turns out a o-ring blew. Where it goes into the hydrostatic pump is the most inaccessible place possible. On top of the pump, under the fuel tank. The only access is reach from the bottom up after removing the chute between the knives and blower, or 2 small holes on each side that full grown men cant really fit their arms in. You have 4 bolts holding flanges holding this line on. Its absolutely awesome trying to start those bolts in that spot blind while being a contortionist 😡🙄. We finally got it together at 3 this afternoon and we started on it right after lunch . We did chop after that until 7 when Dad had enough. At that point it was only him chopping and me hauling. 

20190917_090402.jpg

20190917_090408.jpg

20190917_090417.jpg

I feel your pain. Hope tomorrow goes better. It is hard to get anything done when you spend all day wrenching. 

You should contact Lancaster parts and equipment. They have aftermarket parts I think they make for the JD self propelled. They recondition some during the winter slowdown. I would be surprised if they have no knowledge of the issues with the bearings not being available

2 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

That's a wide row head. Need a narrow row.

Thanks for the info though.