Sign in to follow this  
7288cdn

Hercules QXD5 engine

I am working one of those engines in a Gibson tractor.  I could not get oil to the oil filter.  I found that a previous owner had soldered off the inlet line right at the block.  If there is anyone around from the day when those engines were being used was this a factory suggestion?  I can't see why someone would close off the oil filter even if it was only a partial flow as they all were in those days.  I wondered if the original opening was too large and maybe starved the rear cam bearing (nearest too it) or even the rest of the engine.  The original fitting has a 5/32 hole in it.  I plan to open the hole but could make it smaller.  

38 minutes ago, 7288cdn said:

I am working one of those engines in a Gibson tractor.  I could not get oil to the oil filter.  I found that a previous owner had soldered off the inlet line right at the block.  If there is anyone around from the day when those engines were being used was this a factory suggestion?  I can't see why someone would close off the oil filter even if it was only a partial flow as they all were in those days.  I wondered if the original opening was too large and maybe starved the rear cam bearing (nearest too it) or even the rest of the engine.  The original fitting has a 5/32 hole in it.  I plan to open the hole but could make it smaller.  

It was common in the old bypass chevys to do that to. Idea more pressure instead of filter the little bit of flow