Sign in to follow this  
Skagit Farmer

Identify this seat

I've got a 1936 F-12 that I've been working on for awhile.  Things are getting painted and put back together.  The seat that was on the tractor when I got it is obviously not the factory seat.  I've been curious about the origins of the seat.  Only thing I have been told is that it is possibly an aftermarket replacement seat for the F series tractors, but I don't know if that is true or not.  It's a pretty good seat and will be going back on the tractor, I would like to have an answer for those who will ask me "what's that seat off of?".  I figure someone on here will be able to identify it.  Thanks in advance for any information.S6303351.thumb.JPG.7e10e9ced4644bde2b2bcb594ab8e003.JPGS6303354.thumb.JPG.d6aa8c54bfd236a48058ff90d27e3442.JPGS6303352.thumb.JPG.5ce28bb1f677eb09f312c9f6f1eb0bc3.JPG

I think you have the factory pan seat including the upright supporting it (cut and welded at 90 degrees).  I have the same suspension on a Rockol tractor but I am sure Rockol did not build their own.  It was probably a jobber available at farm supply stores.  

Kneodler (spelling?)

i have one on my H great suspension seat , there on a lot of tractors

• Like 1

Dad had the same suspension on his stage 1 SM. I think Wi IH is correct but I don't remember the correct spelling either. That was one of the best rides available in the day, in my opinion.

WI IH is correct on Knoedler.

They were an aftermarket seat and I believe they were made in Canada. Not sure.

I do know that Versatile swathers used this seat mechanism.

I do not know if the seat itself is for an F series tractor.

Someone better at the F series will have to chime in here.

It's a Knoedler seat. The company is still in business but they make truck seats. I have one on the F20 that we restored at Madison in 09. They were made to fit multiple tractors. The pan itself is older IH. Noedler made cushioned seats too. I have an extra frame if you want to make a cushion.

5457798012_7ac78b576b_b.jpg

Edited by Nebraska Cowman
Add picture
  • Like 1

extra handy with the two tool boxes under the cushion.

I have one on a 1946 John Deere A.

Ron

6 hours ago, randy hall said:

extra handy with the two tool boxes under the cushion.

I wonder if the tool boxes were an option? That is the only set I have ever run across.

We had knoedler air Chief seats in the BR groomers, recaro in the piston bullies. Cool a company been around that long making seats. 

Ron, I think dad put one on his '49 B too. Original seat frame stayed and the Knoedler sat down inside? It used a pan seat.

the Knoedler, with it's 2 greaseable  parallel control links, moves vertical up and down, (keeps your back straight,), not in an arc , like one with a single control link .they were used as factory on 1950's MM tractors. the ones with tool boxes (looks like the boxes have a hole for a grease gun nozzle) should have a small lever and latch to adjust fore-aft. this one is missing the clips, and small spring to keep the pins in the adjustable for weight notches. they also had a adjustment to level the pan side, to side, if one wheel was in a furrow. they had mounts for most tractors.

• Like 1