Sign in to follow this  
A-man

nice old 410 Massey combine

I got this old combine out of the shed for the old neighbor guy the other day. He is in his 80's and is back and forth between assisted living and the nursing home. He wants to sell this nice old 410 Massey combine. It has not been moved in 30+yrs. It doesn't look like it has ever sat outside in its lifetime. It has a cab with air conditioning. The paint is near perfect. It has a 292 chevy 6 cylinder engine. We took the sediment bowl out as the tube was plugged solid. poured a little gas in the carb and it fired right up. Runs really good in fact. I put the machine in gear and it runs so smooth. The only thing is the clutch wont disengage with the pedal to shift into gear. You can put it gear push the clutch in and pull the machine without turning the motor over so it not stuck solid. This machine is so nice it should really go to a collector. Do any of you have any idea what its worth? I have seen them from $500 to $4000 none as nice as this one. Please help. Try to help my old buddy out    

IMG_5242.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

• Like 2

It’s a $500 combine in my area.  I wouldn’t mind having it if it was really close to me.  Does it come with a straight header or the parts to convert it over to straight cut? Having only a pickup header would hurt the value in my opinion.

that is a really nice one. I have my Dad's 410 in the shed next door. it had never set out either, when he ought it. he had a 4 row head for it, though you had to go slow to keep from choking the combine. 3 row would match up nice. still, it gave the cleanest corn of any combine since. unfortunately, you need to find the right person (collector) to get much over $6-700 for it. maybe put it on a massey site or yesterday's tractor combine forum.

The running 292 Chevy with A/C brackets is worth a lot.

Maybe more than the whole combine.

Where is this combine located?

I have a guy wanting a six right now.

I ran one of those for a number of years. I'm confused about the cab though....that swinging door makes me think this is a very early machine and it is non-quick attach as well. I would be curious to know the serial number.

The air conditioning may also be aftermarket, I saw a few with aftermarket under dash units taken out of cars put in those combines.

The factory AC unit had a condenser "cube" that mounted on top/behind the cab and the compressor was mounted behind the cab below the toolbox and was driven off the main countershaft.

Diesel Doctor Im about 4 hrs north and little east of you. Im at Clearbrook, MN 56634 I"m a little over 2 hrs from fargo. What would you be willing to pay for it?

Diesel doc, go buy it! Wave as you drive past!

Rick

There were lots of M-F 410s and 510s scattered across the mid-South.

In the early 1970's I was not growing many acres of soybeans-------and had an older neighbor custom cut them with his early model 410.  Cutting by himself------he would cut low and slow.  Then in about 1975-----I bought a 510; but as a courtesy told him he could keep custom cutting for me.  

The old timer just couldn't stand the competitition-------he was afraid the big 510 was gonna gobble up too many acres and would push the 410 forward (smearing over beans with the cutter bar and walking them out the back).  He finally retired himself, the 410 and his faithful B160 grain truck.  

Layne-Arkansas (home office in Stuttgart) used to have numerous M-F dealerships in northeastern Arkansas rice country.  Their motto "was we cover the Rice belt like the morning dew"!!!!

Good old combines for their day.  (that does appear to be an early model 410)

DD

The re-thresher was a bottleneck in small grains. Several companies made  kits that carried the returns ahead to the table, putting it back through the cylinder.

30 minutes ago, R Pope said:

The re-thresher was a bottleneck in small grains. Several companies made  kits that carried the returns ahead to the table, putting it back through the cylinder.

Interesting.  Didn’t know that.  The problem we had was picking up swaths little rocks would tear up the rethresher.  Lot of Masseys had patched up rethresher a around here.