Getting ready to go to my sons wedding rehearsal. Pager went off, two car accident 7 miles west. Left family, jumped in C4, lit it up and headed for accident. Two car head on, hill and curve. One car on the highway, one car beside it in the ditch. Never seen a head on where both cars came to rest so close to each other. 20 feet apart. Cannot imagine the violent impact.  Some first responders on scene by the time I got there. I talked to the driver of one car. She was out and sitting in a chair. She seemed ok. Went to the next car, driver was out and crying. I got ahold of her and helped her into a chair. She looked at me and said "Jeff, how is my brother"? She was the girlfriend of one of my sons friends. It made this call personal. It hit me, I can't describe the feeling. I hugged her and let her cry. When she had calmed down some, I told her I needed to help her brother who was trapped in the car. I spelled an EMT holding the boys head. For an hour with our heads under a blanket to shield from glass and metal as they cut the roof, side pillar and pushed the dash panel off his legs to free him. I'm no EMT, all I could do was talk to him. Try to relax, concentrate on your breathing, slow it down. You're doing great. You got the best people in the world getting you out of this. I talked to him for a solid hour I was told as I tried to keep him from moving. I think he heard me as he responded to my talk. He tried to move his head and arms but had no strength. Twice he had the death rattle. (Anyone who has watched a calf die, knows what this is). I feel I talked him back, while they were working to free him. Got the side of the car cut away and the back of the seat removed, backboard in position and finally got him out. Life Flight met the Rescue Unit and flew him out. Talked to EMT said they almost lost him on the way but got him on the chopper alive. This kid was busted up bad. I know I'm not supposed to talk about this stuff, not my first bad accident, fatalities, seen em. But when that little girl looked up at me and called me by name, I melted. I don't have what it takes. You EMT's are true professionals, I'm a dumb rancher on a volunteer fire department. We put out grass fires. But we answer every emergency call no matter what. Thank God for the responders that came from 4 towns, 50 miles away. Better extrication tools than we had and a top notch Rescue Unit. We pulled the one car off the road and hosed it clean do they could let traffic move again. Wife waited for me and we made it to the rehearsal dinner but this one will be with me for a little while. You men and women who are EMT's, I could never come close to carrying your water. Thank you for all you do and May God bless each and every one of you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 12
  • Sad 4

God bless you, Jeff. Let us know how he’s doing, and how you are. Praying for you both 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No one is prepared for what you have done. Praying for the best for all involved and thank you for your help with the fire company

• Thanks 1

Thank you for what you did. Training or no, you made a difference. Talking helps your soul, listening is a small thing compared to the impact you made. God bless

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...having spent five hours in that Mack   , whilst  firemen and police were working their butts off to extricate me..........
...I have the utmost admiration for those  folk...'

Good on you    Sandhiller for that   same selfless   endeavour.......

Mike

• Thanks 1

This  is really amazing what you guys do , I couldn't imagine . Both my brothers are on the fire department for 40 plus years and the stuff you guys do to help 😇 I lost my first wife in a motorcycle  accident 22 years ago and everyone tried there best to save her so I have a first hand experience at what you folks do .

Danny 

• Thanks 1

Prayers sent.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to you and praying for  EMTs  and fire people every where.

• Thanks 1

"God" sent you there!!!     You were an "Angel" to this young man,  Thank You for sharing,   takes a lot of strength to put your thoughts in print!!!!

May God Bless You,  and keep you safe

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It never hurts to talk about it. You were there for a reason and that may have been just what this boy needed. It’s not about nerve or the lack of it. You’re a caring person doing what you do. Thank you for that and to you and rest of those like you, keep up the good work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk all ya want jeff. We are here to listen and lend support. God bless you and prayers for all involved especially the young man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got no words....cant imagen being a ent and responding to someone you know...

• Thanks 1

Wow! Those EMT’s are awesome and so are you Jeff! Don’t ever feel sorry for bringing something like this up here, we are all here to help.Prayers to all and I hope everyone is Ok.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your work!  I happened on an accident some years ago and my response to it proved I don’t have the mental ability to cope with helping people in that particular situation.  It made me appreciate EMTs and hospital staff that much more.  The best thing you can do for yourself now is talk to others about what you went through, and also prayer.  Understanding the true realities of life will help keep things like this in perspective.  And do go to debriefing if they have it.  

• Thanks 1

I am with mader656, I’m not sure if I can make things better for you, like you did for the young man!!! But you made the call to jump in and be there for someone in need, and that was probably more help than you realize.  All you can do is talk to people who will listen, and talk with the one whom watches over all of us!! Thank all you emt’s for what you do!! I don’t think I have what it takes, I’m glad you all do!!!! 

• Thanks 1

Bad accidents take a real toll on people, Here in our small towns there’s a pretty good chance you are going to know the person in a car accident. Fatalities are tough, really to me less so than near fatalities. You feel like you’re helplessly fighting against some unidentified, unspecified clock and time seems to almost stop. Once you are done it leaves you with an empty unsatisfied hollow feeling. If the person makes it it all seems worth it, if not well.. it’s different.

we have had a few bad ones in my 22 years on the department, we get someone (a councilor type person) to come in and have a group talk on the ugly ones, it helps some. That’s all through the hospital, I’m not sure what you guys have there in terms of those services but I would ask someone like the head of the rescue squad or ambulance service to point you in the right direction. 

Dont ever hesitate to talk about how and what you are feeling or experiencing with something like this , getting it out in the open is pod for you and good for the people around you, if someone hears you open up it might help them. 

Thanks for doing what you do. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It never hurts to talk about it. You were there for a reason and that may have been just what this boy needed. It’s not about nerve or the lack of it. You’re a caring person doing what you do. Thank you for that and to you and rest of those like you, keep up the good work. 

^^^ what Todd said ^^^

Mike

• Thanks 1

Your a Good man, the hardest thing in this mortal world to be. You responded with Love and Grace. God Bless You.

• Thanks 1

What you do is no less heroic than the emt's out there.  God bless you and the accident victims and families.  It takes heart and courage, you've shown that you are lacking in neither.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

"God" sent you there!!!     You were an "Angel" to this young man,  Thank You for sharing,   takes a lot of strength to put your thoughts in print!!!!

May God Bless You,  and keep you safe

Jeff, I fully believe in my heart that YOU were the Angel for this young man and God sent YOU, because He knew the young man urgently needed something YOU could provide. Keeping his mind awake, when it wants to doze and fade is SO important in these situations. God bless you for being there. Traumatic situations cause us to need to talk. You're doing it correctly. You have people here who care. Farm (IH tractor!) people are some of God's best!

Those EMT's are amazing, loving, caring people too. I so admire them. I've never been trapped in a wrecked automobile, but it consoles my soul knowing they are there and ready at a moment's notice. God bless you guys!  OBG

• Thanks 1

My oldest son is both a volunteer EMT in his small town and a paid EMT in a larger town. Some of the stuff he sees is horrible.

I remember driving by an accident site a few years back. They had several bodies covered with blankets laying beside a wrecked vehicle. I later learned that it was a dad and 2 young children under those blankets. I still see that sight sometimes in my head.

Now they call it PTSD. Don't be ashamed to ask to talk to someone.

The things that people like you go through while looking out for your friends and neighbors is astounding. Well done to all who are able to and do volunteer for the good of the community! 

Rick 

• Thanks 1

Kind selfless act on your part sandhiller.

Can`t imagine the tension and helplessness you felt.

You can sit at my fire anytime. 

Man I hope that boy is going to be ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having been in like conditions I understand what your'e saying, none the less prayers for you an all involved as you work thru this. I am with VT that when you are on a local small dept. stakes are pretty high that you will know the person (s) involved.

• Thanks 1

Our farm insurance guy is same age as my brother. He and some of the other guys his age retired from volunteer fire for the same thing. He said his kids are old enough to drive and eventually they would be called to scene and prayers to family and god bless you. 

• Thanks 1