Sign in to follow this  
G Huffman

460 utilitiy hydraulic valves leaking and moisture in fluid.

I took the valves apart and replaced the O rings,  It still leaked.  I finally saw fluid seeping out where the shaft went through the valve body.  It is a low pressure side that returns to the transmission sump.  The fluid has moisture in it so I need to figure out where the water is getting in.  The leak once stopped when I changed oil but I can[t keep the moisture out.  This is a long standing problem that many have and I hope someone has the cure.

One of two ways of moisture to get in. If it was a row crop the shift lever and the triangle areas of the shift lever and oil fill were the most common places of entry. I have been away from a utility so don't quite remember the top of the transmission so look for places for it to enter. Damp storage is a problem from condensation-find a drier place to store or get adequate ventilation in the storage area. It was a lot easier to keep them dry inside when you could work the snot out of them for a day or two often. I am lucky mine are staying dry in my garage. If it was easy to do  before use to crack the drains and let the condensation out but that is way down there. Covering the top with a canvas if outside but don't seal the bottom might help. Hytran likes to absorb water and needs to be changed when it gets saturated.Just a few thought, I have had a 404 that had water in the transmission when I got it so I understand.