FarmerFixEmUp

Online Auto Insurance Opinions

My mom has a 1992 Buick Park Avenue she wants me to have. She hasn't had a driver's  license in 4 years and we mostly just use it for doctor's appointments etc. It only has 108000 miles on it. Runs great. 

I've been checking into insurance for it and Geico is $20 less a month than adding it to my current policy with Grinnell Mutual. Apparently The General is more for high risk and people with bad driving records according to their website. Anyone using these type of companies and what do you think?

I guess there's no substitute for a local agent.

I’ve had Geico since 2004, wonderful experience, had 3 “insurance involved incidents “ one  was the MRS ( wasn’t at the time ) got rear ended in my Cherokee, one was my own fault crunching a box side and one was wind damage. No issues, prompt service and they kept their word always. 

9 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Progressive has a lot of local agents.

I got really, really hosed by Progressive.

They sent my van to scrap yard and we had not settled and they did not have the title.

Stay with a local agent and a reputable company.

Girl friend had Geico....got a different used car then hit a deer within a week of ownership of said vehicle. Geico claimed she and the car dealer where trying to defraud Geico ...they thought it had previous damage(it didn't) . Body shop sent photos to claims person showing the deer hair packed in where headlight used to be. They rode her so bad she cried. Tiffany Mays was name of fraud investigating complain at Geico. Needless to say girlfriend has insurance with local agent now. I would not recommend Geico.

where to begin  it depends what bribes kickback your state has taken to sell you out

older than 8 years you should only have coverage of a KNOWN proven benefit to you....car is worth $50 to them

general and ilk is skewed to "uninsurables " except under law/mandate.

I have a perfectly good record full coverage $50mo .....general anonymous assumed good state mins ,to them starts at $90m

had local agent for 60 years in family,CO forced 6 new ones on us in last 10 yrs (just about on every corner)

started scamming coverages increased rates  never authorized ANY changes ie "not covered" but more $$$$

they conveniently "cant" find certain vehicles in the system " you NEVER owned such,but selected trucks MUST have FULL COMMERCIAL AT ALL TIMES but no pay out possible on their end.

bill would come, ie state required ( BY LAW)!  $12 mo  ,avg $18   you have requested $65 mo   fine print we will payout $0 as ALL disclaimers are checked, additionally no payout required for non registered if you crash, going to prison.

1 fully documented truck needing full coverage was last registered and fully insured in 1988

it is still on the scam rate............if you dont insure the ones we say when we say at the rate we say (with no possibility of payout)you have no coverage on the ones you do want insured. 

fraud for sure

but here is where the extortion starts    you have to pay for them all, but only have coverage on the 1 you drive,if you had ANY claim ( no fault) in last 15 years you CANT take that 1 to another carrier. anonymously the rate is 100% less for not covered ,15-35% less on what you do want covered, but add the names and it is 120% of current rate ..cheaper to stay and pay extortion.

spent 18 hours on phone (3 days(circling back 6x to the same people/answer)

on a not used  ,non registered vehicle of your pick and choose

1 why does it say I request $$$$$$ coverage on a storage vehicle when you have  6 letters on file  to cancel coverage effect 1988

2 why can I pay for registration and proper coverage  and operate vehicle for less than your no coverage extortion rate?

3  why can I pay for registration and state mandate of your costs $$, have insurance and legally operate the vehicle any time for less than extortion rate ?

4 show me the state law that says you can charge for no coverage implied......FRAUD!! non registered vehicle?

5 how do you pick which vehicle to extort?

6 show me the coverages and payout for crash of non registered vehicle you are extorting coverage for?

7-20 etc etc   bribe to state so they answer for nothing

went online with progressive at local , whom told me (older than 6 years) no owner coverage payout (unless $$$$$ for 10% return)

have to pay it to keep  W X Y coverage ,and just the payouts of sain coverages for medical and legal issues

as others age out will swap over also

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

Progressive has a lot of local agents.

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

i got really, really hosed by Progressive.

Stay with a local agent and a reputable company.

I have motorcycle insurance with Progressive. Never had  a claim but probably only put on 300 to 400 miles a year. Did have the vehicles on Progressive but then the agent found a better deal with Grinnell.  We've had claims with deer hits twice and once for hail and no issues at all. 

I use Hagerty on my Commando with an agreed value. Their reputation is top notch.

Progressive on another MC my kids learned on and my daughter occasionally rides. No claims experience.

Farm Family on everything else with local agent.

We have had Geico for quite some time, always have had excellent service from them and rates are very good. Our local agent can’t even get close to the rate Geico charges us.

• Like 1

Do not even consider progressive.................My son and I were in a bad accident where a driver doing 2x the speed limit hit us under the influence of something as I was doing a left turn where I should have had almost 30 seconds to clear the intersection if he was doing the speed limit from where I seen him...............I seen him, started turning and he ran into us as he was traveling fast, having just seen the grill crest the ridge over .2 a mile away I did not know he was traveling that fast.  Anyhow he ran into us, spinning the car around, never stopped, went .2 of a mile down the road and crashed into a gaurd rail, then went over into apposing traffic and stopped......................Progressive wants to settle with him so I pay 50 percent of the damages to his truck because I was turning.  Police report states he caused the wreck because he was speeding and under the influence and is charged with both, needless to say I am in contact with a lawyer about it and I will be dropping them.  Previous to this we had allstate and have had acouple issues like this as the other was at fault and our agent always handled it with no grief and everyone was happy.

My experience with geico is that they quoted me a good price, but when the bill arrived it was noticeably higher! I called up and they said I had a previous claim due to an engine fire. I said I know, and so did you because you told me the exact amount of the payout while we were discussing the policy!!! Luckily I was just letting my old policy expire- it had maybe two weeks left, not worth trying to get any money back- and at that time I could get everything back if I still had other coverage so I walked away and never looked back. I ended up putting two vehicles on my policy for less than the one by using minimum coverage on the primary vehicle and full coverage for the secondary vehicle.

I won't get insurance from GEICO for the fact of what the name stands for. I have been with the second one of two independent agents I have used in the past 33 years for insurance

I use a local agent

will never use a insurance company that advertises, if they can spend that much money on advertising, there rates would almost be free if they didn’t !!

• Like 1

We have American Family something to be said for being able to walk into local agent pay bill or report a claim.. American family owns the general but agent did say it is their high risk or first time company.

Local independent agent will get best quality( mix of price and service) every time...

• Like 1

Progressive Insurance: Peter Lewis is the Chairman of Progressive Insurance Companies and outside of George Soros, he may be the biggest liberal sugar daddy on the block. This former close friend of Ted Kennedy has poured tens of millions of dollars into the ACLU, America Coming Together, and MoveOn, among other liberal causes. So, why not get your auto insurance from a company that isn’t working to destroy the American way of life?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Little story, 20+ yrs ago I was with State Farm, had never shopped around.

One late Saturday night, in my youthfull exuberance, I had a lengthy conversation with my local sheriff about driving my truck after consuming beer. I don't recommend consulting with them about that.....

State Farm learned about this conversation before I even talked to a judge about it and dropped my coverage, no questions asked.... no sense of humour whatsoever.

Long story short, I was forced to find insurance coverage elsewhere, and considering the predicament I was in, I didn't have high hopes.....

To my surprise, Progressive not only gave me coverage, but the premium was 1/2 of what I had been paying State Farm, with a lower deductible and a higher liabilty limit.

Bundled my car insurance with the house 15 or so yrs ago, just looked at what AmFam is charging for coverage on my new Kia, thinking it's time to shop around again.

54 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Little story, 20+ yrs ago I was with State Farm, had never shopped around.

One late Saturday night, in my youthfull exuberance, I had a lengthy conversation with my local sheriff about driving my truck after consuming beer. I don't recommend consulting with them about that.....

State Farm learned about this conversation before I even talked to a judge about it and dropped my coverage, no questions asked.... no sense of humour whatsoever.

Long story short, I was forced to find insurance coverage elsewhere, and considering the predicament I was in, I didn't have high hopes.....

To my surprise, Progressive not only gave me coverage, but the premium was 1/2 of what I had been paying State Farm, with a lower deductible and a higher liabilty limit.

Bundled my car insurance with the house 15 or so yrs ago, just looked at what AmFam is charging for coverage on my new Kia, thinking it's time to shop around again.

They always are cheap to begin with

For grins I filled out progressives online deal, for less coverage it's almost as much as my current coverage and commercial liability( thru local agent) for my vehicles.

Met a gentleman camping 1x.  He had been a 3rd party adjuster for his career and now since retired.   He said.. "if it has State and/or Farm in the name...run."  said best he had ever delt with was AAA.  He said after Katrina he looked at flooded homes with 0 flood coverage.  AAA said "missing some shingles?"  "Yes"..."We got it then".  Said they 100% put the payee first.

On 9/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, bitty said:

I won't get insurance from GEICO for the fact of what the name stands for. I have been with the second one of two independent agents I have used in the past 33 years for insurance

23 hours ago, mader656 said:

Local independent agent will get best quality( mix of price and service) every time...

X2

I use Grundy / Safeco.  

Only place i could insure my modern daily driver,  my classic, and my secondary car for an agreed value rather than just Blue book.

Its not the cheapest option,  and I dont have a local agent,  but im able to get all the features in the policy i want when and how I want them.