oldtanker

Anyone with experience 300 blackout?

I have the opportunity to pick up a AR15 chambered for 300 AAC Blackout reasonable. I'm not a big fan of the AR platform mostly because I don't like 233/5.56 too much. Just wondering what users thought of the 300 AAC Blackout.

Thanks 

Rick 

• Like 1

They meet size requirements in some states to use for deer. I have been told they excel when used with a suppressor because they are fairly slow to begin with. I do not own one but know some who do. They, of course, live in non-communist states where suppressors are legal. 

Alot of special operation guys are using suppressed 300 blackouts now for more punch and quieter,  I'm sure you would like it, my ar15s shoot everything from deer to skunks and it works great with all of it with 5.56

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WaynefromWi said:

A good place to look for your answers is www.snipershide.com

I'll check em out, Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

They meet size requirements in some states to use for deer. I have been told they excel when used with a suppressor because they are fairly slow to begin with. I do not own one but know some who do. They, of course, live in non-communist states where suppressors are legal. 

You can use 223 in MN for deer. I don't think it's a good choice for most hunters. Most folks I know take out their deer guns 2 weeks before season, fire a couple of rounds to check the zero at the local range and then hunt. Them once season is over the the gun may or may not be cleaned and then it's put away until next year. For most people shooting is a perishable skill. So when you start talking 223/5.56 it's not a good caliber for big game for most hunters. What happened in MN was in the early 2000's the number of people buying a deer license was way down. DNR conducted a survey to find out why. One of the answers they got was "I only have an AR and I can't afford another gun just to hunt for 10 days a year" or something to that effect. So the made 223 legal. Bad part is they never addressed the real issue. Most people in MN don't have a place to hunt. 

I've got a couple of places on the farm were 150-200 yards is about all the range you have to play with. Thinking the 300 is something my wife could handle well.

Thanks.

Just now, Rusty shackleford said:

Alot of special operation guys are using suppressed 300 blackouts now for more punch and quieter,  I'm sure you would like it, my ar15s shoot everything from deer to skunks and it works great with all of it with 5.56

I have my deer guns. A 270 for areas with longer ranges and a 357 Mag lever gun for in the woods. All depends on where I'm going to sit this year.

You may do well with 556. Just way too many people out here in West MN wounding animals that they can't/won't track. Me? I know how to shoot. I've got family who should know but can't be bothered to work at it. I have a 100 meter range set up with a shooting table. I also reload. I've offered to help them reload all they have to do is buy their own supplies. I've also offered to help them with their shooting. I went to the small arms instructor course in the Army and spent some time teaching small arms. They can't be bothered.

I know darn well if I got a AR15 in 5.56 one of em would want to borrow it for deer. I just don't have a need. And I still feel for most people that 223/5.56 is not a good round for the average MN hunter. Heck I have a neighbor who claims that the max effective range of a 30.06 is 150 yards! Another guy I know thought that all these country boys up here are firearm experts. I finally got him to go to a firearms auction with me. I had listed all the guns for sale on my phone with book values. He was astounded how much they were overpaying. I keep telling people. All these folks own firearms. Very few know much about them except for the dangerous end. At that auction they sold a Henry 22 lever gun. On the way home Jim and I stopped at Fleet Farm. The same model Henry 22, new was 150 less than the used and somewhat abused one went for at the sale. 

Look, I'm not knocking 223/5.56 for an experienced shooter. I'm knocking it for the guy who might fire it once a year.

On another note a nephew (BIL is an idiot when it comes to guns) actually thinks that a 30-30 is more accurate at any range than the AR15. And he grew up with a dad who hunts. This kids shot his first deer on our farm.

I am a huge believer in the idea of practice makes perfect.

Rick

You are usually my go to for this stuff. 

I think 300 blackout is silly, it’s slow and small and who the heck cares if it’s quiet? If you are going to hunt deer why not do it with something designed for it rather than designed to be slow and small and underpowered? If you don’t want deer with it what the heck do you want it for?

to me it’s one redeeming quality is being sub sonic, everything else it’s not all that great at. Why do you want to be quiet? 

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

You are usually my go to for this stuff. 

I think 300 blackout is silly, it’s slow and small and who the heck cares if it’s quiet? If you are going to hunt deer why not do it with something designed for it rather than designed to be slow and small and underpowered? If you don’t want deer with it what the heck do you want it for?

to me it’s one redeeming quality is being sub sonic, everything else it’s not all that great at. Why do you want to be quiet? 

Seth, I can get it cheap enough that if the wife is comfortable with it I'm good. The guy who has it got a DUI and has a big fine to pay. His wife is mad and said she isn't working overtime cause he got drunk with hi buddies. He's asking 350. That's pretty cheap. Suppressors are not legal here. So quite has nothing to do with it. More of a low recoil gun that should take a deer 200-300 yards. I doubt my wife would try  shot much over 150.

I'm looking at a 22-250 he has too. Waiting for him to name a price.

Rick 

A .30 caliber bullet in a modified .223 case can be loaded supersonic for hunting or subsonic for home defense/yard varmints. Subsonic works best with suppressor. It is an adequate cartridge for the distances your are hunting. It burns up the powder fast in the bbl so little muzzle flash and light recoil. Personally, I went with .308 in AR10 rather than 300 blackout (AR15) and .308 rather than 6.5 Creedmoor in my bolt guns. Why? I'm old school and stick with the proven calibre's. I don't drink much koolaide. BUT, you can never have too many guns and if the price is right, get it. You and your wife might like it and decide it the best thing since sliced bread. Don't like it, should be able to move it down the road and maybe even make money on the deal. Besides you meet the nicest people tradin' guns. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

A .30 caliber bullet in a modified .223 case can be loaded supersonic for hunting or subsonic for home defense/yard varmints. Subsonic works best with suppressor. It is an adequate cartridge for the distances your are hunting. It burns up the powder fast in the bbl so little muzzle flash and light recoil. Personally, I went with .308 in AR10 rather than 300 blackout (AR15) and .308 rather than 6.5 Creedmoor in my bolt guns. Why? I'm old school and stick with the proven calibre's. I don't drink much koolaide. BUT, you can never have too many guns and if the price is right, get it. You and your wife might like it and decide it the best thing since sliced bread. Don't like it, should be able to move it down the road and maybe even make money on the deal. Besides you meet the nicest people tradin' guns. 

Kinda what I'm thinking. If it don't pan out it can go down the road.

Thanks

Rick

Probably nothing you don’t already know Rick, but a good read .

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/8/8/300-aac-blackout-for-deer/

for reference, I did an AR in .223 earlier this year, with all magpul furniture, and a sig red dot for 345 all in. 20 min assembly, 20 min bore sight and I was punching holes where I wanted them. 

If thats your budget and you want a deer rifle for your MRS with mild recoil I could fix you up with a nice package from mossberg, Savage or Remington. 

I’ve got an AR in 556/223 because it was cheap from a guy wanting money much as you describe.  I don’t like the round at all but it can be effective for certain things. The 223 was originally designed to wound a man in the M16 platform. It has sub-par ballistics when compared to many similar rounds in roughly the same size give or take a little. I agree with your diagnosis on the 223 Rick. Try the 300 and see. You could get your money back easy if you or the wife don’t like it.  

Before people turn the flame on about the 223 and what I said that is MY opinion and despite the military use of the round with much success in recent conflicts I would still have you ask yourself how much of the time does the government do something because it is the best option vs the cheapest option???

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’ve got an AR in 556/223 because it was cheap from a guy wanting money much as you describe.  I don’t like the round at all but it can be effective for certain things. The 223 was originally designed to wound a man in the M16 platform. It has sub-par ballistics when compared to many similar rounds in roughly the same size give or take a little. I agree with your diagnosis on the 223 Rick. Try the 300 and see. You could get your money back easy if you or the wife don’t like it.  

Before people turn the flame on about the 223 and what I said that is MY opinion and despite the military use of the round with much success in recent conflicts I would still have you ask yourself how much of the time does the government do something because it is the best option vs the cheapest option???

I’ve found you to be correct about the .223, too nasty for small game and inadequate for large. Still it’s a great round for trash panda in the corn and porcupine, woodchuck etc. retrospectively I would not have bought my scout in .223 , as I have it and otherwise love it, it stays. Maybe next year I get one in .308

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I’ve found you to be correct about the .223, too nasty for small game and inadequate for large. Still it’s a great round for trash panda in the corn and porcupine, woodchuck etc. retrospectively I would not have bought my scout in .223 , as I have it and otherwise love it, it stays. Maybe next year I get one in .308

Try a 9mm AR for trash pandas or the old fashioned .22mag. I had a Ruger Scout Rifle years ago in .308. It went bang but that’s about all I can say for it. I don’t want to take this too far off topic so I will leave it at that.

Rick it's not just those that don't practice,something most call buckfever. Have a nephew that was on the Marines competition shooting team, by nature did better with a hand gun than rifle but still part of what he shot on the team. Was close to 40 years old before he could kill a buck with one shot.

I don't know how state law comes in but NRA magazine had a piece on suppressor law I think last year(maybe 2or3 years) you pay a federal fee that is a bit steep (a little less than a $1000 I think) and then you were good. As I think it was good here in Land of Fruits and Nuts much to my surprise. 

Look Ric, for $350 buy it!  That is dirt cheap.  You can make money on it if you want to get rid of it (unless the Democrats get in in 2020).  If you don't like the caliber, sell the upper and buy another one in whatever caliber you want.

• Like 1

I've owned and ar in the .300AAC or blackout for years now, easy shooting, accurate, fun to shoot.  My wife's favorite gun to shoot, actually!  At that price it's a no brainer, get it!!

• Like 1

I guess different strokes for different folks. .300 blackout reminds of the picture of a 4-door Corvette, yes it was built, but why?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Probably nothing you don’t already know Rick, but a good read .

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/8/8/300-aac-blackout-for-deer/

for reference, I did an AR in .223 earlier this year, with all magpul furniture, and a sig red dot for 345 all in. 20 min assembly, 20 min bore sight and I was punching holes where I wanted them. 

If thats your budget and you want a deer rifle for your MRS with mild recoil I could fix you up with a nice package from mossberg, Savage or Remington. 

Very interesting read. Only thing I see wrong is the area around a deer's heart is considered a kill shot. It's 8" and the writer is complaining about a 5" drop from 200-100? People take deer clear out to 200 yards with a 30-30 and that has a 7" drop.

13 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

The military bought off on the 556 round for several reasons. The wounding aspect is just part of it except that only works well when an enemy is willing or able to expend manpower and resources on the battlefield. With some causes/armies if you are wounded on the battlefield it's up to you to get back to the rear to be treated. That happened when we had troops in Greece starting in 1947, the North Koreans and later the Chinese in the Korean War, in Vietnam and again in our latest fight in Iraq and Afghanistan. If they controlled the ground after a battle they would pick up the dead and wounded. But not during the fight. Another reason they bought off on it was weight. In WWII an infantry soldiers basic load was 80 rounds. When you carried a weapon capable of full auto that at first jumped up to 200 rounds. For those of you who don't know the Basic load for an infantry soldier is per day. And the final reason was they discovered that most soldiers would not engage the enemy at ranges greater than 200 yards. So the need for a long range round like 7.62 NATO (308) or 30.06 (M1 and Springfield) just wasn't there. 

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Look Ric, for $350 buy it!  That is dirt cheap.  You can make money on it if you want to get rid of it (unless the Democrats get in in 2020).  If you don't like the caliber, sell the upper and buy another one in whatever caliber you want.

Done deal.

1 hour ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

I've owned and ar in the .300AAC or blackout for years now, easy shooting, accurate, fun to shoot.  My wife's favorite gun to shoot, actually!  At that price it's a no brainer, get it!!

That's the conclusion I came to.

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

I guess different strokes for different folks. .300 blackout reminds of the picture of a 4-door Corvette, yes it was built, but why?

The why is because the 5.56 round left a lot to be desired. Most of this, the 300 blackout, 6.8 SPC ECT because the special operations guys discovered a need. They knew that the government wouldn't up the money for a new combat rifle so they tried to squeeze a little extra performance out of the same platform. Considering that the Army has paid as much as 1200 a rifle and a complete new one would run well over 1 million units plus the ammo swap plus spare parts and 10 or so mags for each you can see why. Pretty expensive. Be a lot cheaper to buy a new upper that uses the same bolt carrier and then a new bolt if needed.

Rick

Rick

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ray54 said:

Rick it's not just those that don't practice,something most call buckfever. Have a nephew that was on the Marines competition shooting team, by nature did better with a hand gun than rifle but still part of what he shot on the team. Was close to 40 years old before he could kill a buck with one shot.

I don't know how state law comes in but NRA magazine had a piece on suppressor law I think last year(maybe 2or3 years) you pay a federal fee that is a bit steep (a little less than a $1000 I think) and then you were good. As I think it was good here in Land of Fruits and Nuts much to my surprise. 

Yea buck fever too! But I know more than one person who shoots 2-3 rounds to check ZERO and then hunt. Many of them have bagged a lot of deer. They still don't shoot well. They won't shoot over certain ranges, generally not more than 200-300 yards, no moving deer, that type of thing.

You are correct. At first MN bared the sale of suppressors. My hearing is already shot.

Rick

I don't get to the gun shops very often to see if the 300 black out rounds can be bought over the counter.

the one my son had he loaded for and cut the brass  to size seem to work great.

Mike

• Like 1

I have experience with it. Think of it kind of like a 30/30 with a pointed bullet in a semi auto rifle.

Its plenty for deer/hogs. Subsonic rounds sound like a .22 with a suppressor, super sonic rounds with a suppressor are still loud. For hunting use supersonic soft point ammo. It’ll drop hogs with no problem. The report and muzzle blast isn’t too bad even without a suppressor though, maybe a little less than a 30/30. 

From what I understand the round was developed to have something with a little more energy than a 5.56 from a short 8-12 inch barrel M-4 type carbine that would work well with suppressors and be more effective than pistol caliber sub-machine guns. Which it is. It also happens to work with the same magazines and lowers as an M-4.

Most any gun store including Academy has ammo and reloading components including new empty cases. I don’t reload but I saw bags of 300bo brass at Academy the other day dirt cheap.

3 hours ago, Mike H said:

I don't get to the gun shops very often to see if the 300 black out rounds can be bought over the counter.

the one my son had he loaded for and cut the brass  to size seem to work great.

Mike

I just picked up a box of 25 rounds to play with a little if it ever dries up and stops raining. Fleet Farm has a selection in stock.

2 hours ago, jworley said:

I have experience with it. Think of it kind of like a 30/30 with a pointed bullet in a semi auto rifle.

Its plenty for deer/hogs. Subsonic rounds sound like a .22 with a suppressor, super sonic rounds with a suppressor are still loud. For hunting use supersonic soft point ammo. It’ll drop hogs with no problem. The report and muzzle blast isn’t too bad even without a suppressor though, maybe a little less than a 30/30. 

From what I understand the round was developed to have something with a little more energy than a 5.56 from a short 8-12 inch barrel M-4 type carbine that would work well with suppressors and be more effective than pistol caliber sub-machine guns. Which it is. It also happens to work with the same magazines and lowers as an M-4.

Most any gun store including Academy has ammo and reloading components including new empty cases. I don’t reload but I saw bags of 300bo brass at Academy the other day dirt cheap.

Never heard of Academy? OK, looks like some interesting prices.

Rick

We had one open about an hour away 2-3 years ago. Not a bad place. Pretty decent selection of sporting goods.  

I've dropped every deer hard every time I used the ar, can get the bullet right through the heard or lung ez, I've seen alot of slugs guys just mutilate deer and ruin meat or gut shoot because 50 yards is to far, I can drop a deer at 300 ez like that amd clean with the little 5.56 , and I can shoot the head of a shunk with it and it wont even spray, I love 5.56, it worked for me in iraq and still does now, but 6.5 creedmoor my new favorite 

9 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I've dropped every deer hard every time I used the ar, can get the bullet right through the heard or lung ez, I've seen alot of slugs guys just mutilate deer and ruin meat or gut shoot because 50 yards is to far, I can drop a deer at 300 ez like that amd clean with the little 5.56 , and I can shoot the head of a shunk with it and it wont even spray, I love 5.56, it worked for me in iraq and still does now, but 6.5 creedmoor my new favorite 

In the hands of an experienced shooter 556 is a decent round. I know too many clowns who can't shoot to save their lives. That's what I have against it. And you are not going to convince me that because you can shoot well that everyone should be able to use it. In this case IMO you have far more people who can't shoot well than you do who can shoot well. And unfortunately a lot can't afford or can't justify a 2nd firearm of what would be a better caliber for them.

I've seen guys shoot 8" groups with SABOT slugs and a good slug barrel at 200 yards. Then one of my wife's brothers can't shoot past 50 yards with a scoped 30-30. Another one of her brothers can't get a zero on a new 30.06 bolt gun at 100 yards off a bench and lead sled. These are the guys who give the 556's bad rep when they try to use them for hunting. I almost think that MN DNR should run qualification ranges BEFORE they sell someone a license.

Rick

• Like 2