Drewu223

400 series head differences

Does anyone know the difference in the head castings on the 400 series engines? Like what's the difference in a "+" or "H" casting?

Has to do with the swirl of the head. There are a low swirl, moderate swirl, and high swirl.  Naturally aspirated engines generally have high swirl heads. 

2 hours ago, RAH said:

Has to do with the swirl of the head. There are a low swirl, moderate swirl, and high swirl.  Naturally aspirated engines generally have high swirl heads. 

Yup, H is high swirl for NA engines.  No mark is low swirl for turbo except B and C series engines.+ is intermediate for Turbo B and C series engines. 

14 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Yup, H is high swirl for NA engines.  No mark is low swirl for turbo except B and C series engines.+ is intermediate for Turbo B and C series engines. 

So would running a turbo with an H head have any advantages over a no mark or + head? Just curious cause I still have the H head on my 966 although it has an S2E turbo

Here's a good story on 400 series heads -back in the mid '70s we bought a 1466 that had been drove over the side of a bridge and broke in two with just 9 hours on it. it sat around for 2 years before it got put back together and in the meantime our IH mechanic noticed cast into the top of the head between 2 injectors was the word ''special'' -he had never seen that before and that tractor always ran better and sounded different than the other 1466's in the area. about 10 years ago we had a young mechanic from the West Liberty Iowa dealership working on my 856 an got to talking about tractor pulling as his family was involved with it. so I told him about the head on the 1466 an he knew exactly what it was....it was a early Hyper-Max casting. Jerry Lagod was an IH engineer and tractor puller an had these special heads cast at IH an this one must have got ''lost'' -so I wonder if this happened more than once or do we have the only 1466 with a ''factory'' Hyper-Max head? An yes we still have it with around 2000 hours on it. also our IH mechanic was Dana Monson from Aledo ILL -the tractor puller. he always wanted to pull it off and see what it was but he claimed he didn't.....I think he knew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting....ever put that unit on a Dyno??

• Like 1

Since the beginning of tractor pulling rules state that you must use factory head. Jerry’s way around that was recasting heads using a ih part number. To this day you can go to your dealer with the part number and have them look it up. It will show up for a 1066, but not available. 

2 hours ago, RAH said:

Since the beginning of tractor pulling rules state that you must use factory head. Jerry’s way around that was recasting heads using a ih part number. To this day you can go to your dealer with the part number and have them look it up. It will show up for a 1066, but not available. 

SO---the 1466 you have is the "factory" one that made it so his heads were factory......!😜

I'm sure Dana had it on his dyno but that was a long time ago. it runs REAL good and has seems to have a different sound to it but it hasn't run in maybe 15-20 years.

we had a 400 LPGas blew the head gasket out between two center cylinders - block was cracked as well, had to have block welded and then i think the put new sleeves in it with bigger sizes - I was in my teens at the time so only remember bits n pieces - I do know they did head work with some special kind of valves - it ran very good but was a pain in the butt to get started under 35 40 degrees - I think the lp head might have been a little different but not exactly sure