vtfireman85

9/11

Me and my co worker were doing a service upgrade. New riser, meter, electric panel, breakers, the works. We of course had the power off, so no radio or tv. We found out when we left for lunch because it was the only thing on the truck radio. I stopped by my house and stuck a blank tape in the vcr and hit record. The wife and I watched it when we got home that evening. I haven’t watched it since. I was planning to watch it on the 10th anniversary but we buried my bil instead. I still have the tape. I should get it out sometime. 

I was at work. We had a TV in the shop that we watched at break and lunch which was off. My Boss came back and turned it on which was very unusual and said "stop what you are doing and watch"   The first plane had just flown into the building and I saw everything else live.

Walking in from morning milking an chores, Dad was going home an stopped an said somethings going on, news on radio said plane into wtc an all air traffic grounded. When an turned tv on an watched it unfold. 

I was at Husker Harvest Days in Grand Island. Think it was the second day of the show. Everything stopped and we went over to the exhibits that had TV's. Wondering if we should try to make it home to man the Fire Dept. (didn't know what to expect)If this turns out to be an all out assault, we want to be home. On the way back to the motel, at every gas station, cars were lined up for blocks with people filling every container available with gas. 

I have not forgotten.

Edited by FarmallFan
Removed picture
  • Sad 1

I was at home in bed yet when the first plane hit. I was up getting ready to meet the bus when the second plane hit. I was in grade 12 and that day we didn’t spend much time learning just more time discussing what was going on and what we thought was going to happen.  I remember saying world war 3 has just begun. 

I was a full time Crew Chief with the IN Air National Guard getting my F-16 Ready for a local mission, when the Expediter came by and told us to stop everything. 50 minutes later we had some jets in the air with live munitions instead of practice, kept some in the air 24 hrs a day for the next few days. It was later that day when finally got to watch any TV. We can't afford to ever forget although I'm afraid many already are.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, IHClaw said:

I was a full time Crew Chief with the IN Air National Guard getting my F-16 Ready for a local mission, when the Expediter came by and told us to stop everything. 50 minutes later we had some jets in the air with live munitions instead of practice, kept some in the air 24 hrs a day for the next few days. It was later that day when finally got to watch any TV. We can't afford to ever forget although I'm afraid many already are.

Thanks for your service ( and to the others who have served /are serving)

• Like 3

I was a senior in high school. That year i had enough credits that i only went to school in the morning which was to the county votech center in Battle Creek. I was in heavy equipment mechanics. We were going to work on a classmate's truck that day. He pulled it in and said they were on the radio talking about a plane hitting the first WTC tower. (This was between the 2 plane strikes). As stupid as this sounds now, not realizing it was a terrorist attack at first my first thought was "man, somebody sure screwed up big time" The second plane hitting erased that it was a accident. We were watching in the classroom when they broke the news about the Pentagon getting hit. I was on the bus back to the high school when the plane went down in Pennsylvania. 

Got back to school and went home. Work experience was going home and working on the farm with Dad in the afternoon. We watched the news at lunchtime and then I went and chisel plowed some wheat stubble that afternoon. The one thing that sticks out in my mind to this day is the subsequent stoppage of flights. A lot of planes fly over our place and when they stopped flying over the lack of contrails and distant jet sounds was noticeable.

At work listening to the Howard Stern show. Someone on the show broke in with the news of the first plane hitting the tower. 

At first, we thought that it was part of the show, then news cut into the show. 

One of the guys lived a couple blocks from work, ran home and got a portable tv, and work just about stopped for the day! 

I was on the fire department at  the time, it hit closer to the heart loosing all of the first responders.

I was talking with an old timer a few years ago about it and he said “his generation had Pearl Harbor, and we survived your generation will too..”

7 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I was talking with an old timer a few years ago about it and he said “his generation had Pearl Harbor, and we survived your generation will too..”

Not a fair comparison imo.

And I never knew, of the 2400 killed in Pearl Harbor,  1100ish were on the Arizona. 

My  wife now had just left for work and I was getting ready for the day. I watched the first plane then the second hit. Used to be documentaries on some channel. About the airplane grounding. This gives you some thought as what senior leaders had to do. Plane was a South Korean air liner coming in over Alaska. Pilot didn’t respond to calls for landing immediately. They had scrambled fighter jets intercepted the airliner , had the clearance from President Bush to shoot it down. They were within a minute of downing plane and pilot communicated with ground that he understood orders to land and would. The 2 fighter planes that provided air cover for Washington DC for that time period were from North Dakota air national guard base in Fargo on training mission. Apparently they always had air cover in the DC area at all times rotated in different units to do it .In a interview later for local station he mentioned they were in route to intercept Pennsylvania plane and were armed with missiles waiting on orders

27 minutes ago, MTO said:

Not a fair comparison imo.

And I never knew, of the 2400 killed in Pearl Harbor,  1100ish were on the Arizona. 

Mark gotta agree. They had issued a war warning to US forces about Japan. They knew something was up. So really wasn’t a sneak attack. It was a surprise as the most senior leaders in the Navy didn’t think that aircraft were anything more than the eyes of the fleet.

The attack on 9/11 was a total shock. Even though we expected terror attacks no one suspected a terror attract on US soil nor did anyone expect and attack of that magnitude. 

That vet was right.

I was taking some more college courses. I head about it on the radio while driving to a class. Saw the second plane hit watching tv in the student lounge.

Rick

I was at work at the FD just starting a day tour and TV was on at watchdesk and watched it unfold, about noon the State called trying to mobilize resources from other career departments in the state to respond to WTC. We were preparing to get ready to leave and the state called back and said to hold as FDNY was trying to regain control as they had just lost alot of command staff. It flip flopped back and forth numerous times from start heading south to wait throughout the day into the evening. We ended up not deploying. A few guys went down on their own time but it was 1st day of 3 day trick, was chopping corn and planting wheat, and by evening FDNY was begging people to stop just showing up as they were trying to put an accountability system into place so they put departments into a standby mode for next few days.

Lost several good friends that day and over the past 18 years because of the  murder committed that day. The death toll climbs every day so PLEASE NEVER FORGET 

I was sitting in the hospital next to my wife holding our 8 hour old son when the second plane hit on live TV.  I remember looking down at him and asking myself what kind of world we had brought him into.  18 years later he is our shining light on a somber day.  

The world witnessed the absolutely frightening power of human hatred that day...

and human bravery.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MTO said:

The world witnessed the absolutely frightening power of human hatred that day...

and human bravery.

I prefer to remember the latter more than the first

5 hours ago, MTO said:

And listen to this, when my wife called me at work and told me the "World Trade Center" was hit by a plane, I didn`t even know what the WTC was!!!!

I Love IT. Best response. I still don't know. I guessed our country was not being fair about trading with some other country was my guess. I was at work in the basement, as usual, and didn't know about it until I went to the airport that afternoon for my flight training class. I got a rude awakening when my CFI told me everything was down. Go home and wait for further instructions. Which I never got the call. 

I was running a few minutes late to work that morning. I was turning in the driveway as the top of the hour news came on. I remember walking in and saying that "a plane had flown into the WTC, I would what kinda idiot the pilot was?" As the day progressed we listened to the news. I had just returned from basic training that spring. I was waiting for a call from my reserve unit! 

I am still remember who's baler I was working on in the shop that day!

I was one of 4 or 5 guys on a construction site. At coffee break time, I listened to a voicemail from a friend of mine saying "if you are anywhere near a tv, turn it on", and of course, we weren't, so I turned on WGN radio in the truck. We all sat and listened for an extended break time before we did what we had to do and got back to work. Of course, that evening and many afterwards, I was glued to the tv news. It's kind of hard to describe the feelings of that time to anyone not born yet, or too young to remember. At least for me, it was a feeling of wondering if there were another shoe ready to drop (I remember here in the midwest, many wondered if something like the Sears Tower in Chicago may be a target); extreme sadness in thinking about all those lives lost, whether innocent bystanders on those planes or in the buildings, emergency personnel running TOWARD the danger, or the brave passengers who rushed the cockpit over PA; and extreme fury toward those who would do such a thing to innocent people.

No jet trails in the sky for several days was an odd thing. Major League Baseball suspended games for a week or more. I am a White Sox fan... I remember that they had just flown in on either 9/10 or 9/11 to NY to begin a series with the Yankees, however, obviously it was postponed. I remember reading that they finally returned home via charter bus. I was at the first game when play resumed... ironically at home vs. the Yankees. It was quite an emotional night... PD, FD, and armed services were all honored, giant flag on the field for the National Anthem, and this began the custom of singing God Bless America in the 7th inning. I also remember the virtual 24 hour news cycle across all of television. Some "entertainment" type networks switched to simulcasting CNN, and I remember a few totally signed off for several days, (seems like stations like TV Land and/ or Comedy Central did this), stating something to the effect that their programming would return when the time felt right. I remember after a several day hiatus, the late night show hosts returned; I especially remember David Letterman's return, with a moving interview of then NYC mayor Rudy Guilani.

These are minor details, and very insignificant compared to those who experienced personal loss and tragedy at that time, but they are a few of the things I remember.

9 hours ago, BrodyNC said:

I was not alive when it happened.

Every year a lot of people my age at school make jokes about it rather than think about the lives that were lost.

I was a few days short of turning 6 months old.....

I know what you mean about kids making jokes about it. 

Kinda surprised I hadn’t heard anything about it at school today.... weather it be jokes or a teacher mentioning it talking about when they remembered it. 

Its terrible they way they could/would joke about it. 

I was up 50ft. in a manlift welding steam pipe at US Corrugated in Bowling Green KY. I noticed the jobsite getting quite as I welded. Finished that joint and started down and noticed everyone gathered around a pickup, first thought someone had got hurt then realized they were listing to the radio. We were on loan to this job to help it catch up. We were supposed to be in Nashville TN at the federal courthouse changing out chillers, needless to say we didn't get to go back on that job for a couple of weeks. 

Yep, senior in high school.  Had a water main break and got to go home around 9am.   Everyone thought it was related to the terrorist attacks.   I was caught off guard just like most of the country.