Oscillating Multi-Tools

IH Forever

I'm in the process of replacing the deck boards on my front porch with composite decking.  Cutting out the area where the board goes around a railing post is a pain since I don't have a jig saw.  I was considering purchasing a jig saw but then thought about an oscillating multi tool.  I think I could accomplish what I want to do and be able to get much more use then I would from a jig saw.  Does anyone have experience with these?  Do you find them useful?

I happen to be on my lunch break at my real job as a carpenter.   We use oscillating multi tools on a daily basis.  They work well for many tasks, so much so that you wonder how you got along without one. The best piece of advice I can give is to get a good quality tool.  We finally got a fein after burning up 3 craftsman's in a day.  It takes our beatings and keeps going day in and day out.  The replacement blades are rather expensive but seem to last depending on what you're cutting.  I have used a few cordless models.   They're good for short duration but corded is still king.

3 hours ago, nc1112 said:

I happen to be on my lunch break at my real job as a carpenter.   We use oscillating multi tools on a daily basis.  They work well for many tasks, so much so that you wonder how you got along without one. The best piece of advice I can give is to get a good quality tool.  We finally got a fein after burning up 3 craftsman's in a day.  It takes our beatings and keeps going day in and day out.  The replacement blades are rather expensive but seem to last depending on what you're cutting.  I have used a few cordless models.   They're good for short duration but corded is still king.

What he said ^^^

I bought one when I started renovating my house. It’s not a tool I use every time I’m doing something, but I wouldn’t be without it as it’s handy as ever when you need to make that one cut that you can’t reach without destroying whatever it is that you don’t want to destroy. 

I'm on my second one.  Wore out a corded Bosch multi tool, then replaced it a couple of years ago with a Milwaukee M18 cordless.  It cuts better, runs quieter, and stays cooler when working hard than the Bosch did.  Run time's not an issue for me - I rotate a 4.0 and a 5.0 battery and never have to wait for a charge.

As others have said, I use mine often and find lots of uses for it that I wouldn't have imagined.  I'd hate to be without it.

Corded Dewalt here. Can't be beat for replacing a floor board, cutting holes in drywall, anywhere you can't get any other saw close enough they really shine.

Blades ARE pricey but nothing else will do the job they can.

I agree that they are a very handy tool. I have a corded fein on the shelf in my utility room for a long time. I haven’t used it since I got a M18 multitool. I ruined one a couple years after I got it and Milwaukee replaced it without questions. I think the blade is more important then the tool. You need to use high end blades or you’ll hate it. I seem to have the best luck with fein or Bosch blades. I despise Drexel and most imperial brand blades. 

I have the Milwaukee m18 also.  Bought it to trim the bottoms of my door jambs so I could put flooring under them.  Works great.  I have used it quite a bit with 2.0 amp hour batteries without a problem.  They charge fast so usually your good.  I would think with the right blade it could easily replace a jig saw for most things plus do everything a jig saw can’t.

2 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

They are even useful for removing PVC pipe fittings. Great for cutting it door jambs and laying down flooring. You will find many more uses for them after you start using it.

Agree 100%!! Thats what i bought mine for and have used it for lots of little trimming jobs.

ive used a bunch of them, the worst was a Dremel brand, the best by leaps and bounds was the original, the Fein multi-master, depending on what your doing, I like the Bosch carbide blades, they are a touch pricy but they last..and last..and last.. and last. hardened screws, metal, wood, dirt, doesn't seem to phase them much. spend the money, get a good one, you won't regret it. 

I have the Rockwell corded one. I got it to cut off door jam and trim when I installed new flooring in my kitchen. Worked great. Have used it elsewhere with good results. Blades can be pricy, just watch for them on sale

I bought an M18, also. I already had a ton of batteries. I don't use it often, but there is no other tool that can do what it can do. It uses some juice. I think a Fuel model would be nice if I were running it a lot, but I don't think they exist, yet.

The advantages of cordless are huge.  It's easy to think "I won't use it very often, and it's not that much trouble to plug in an extension cord".  But to paraphrase an old saying, once you go cordless, you'll never go back.

49 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

The advantages of cordless are huge.  It's easy to think "I won't use it very often, and it's not that much trouble to plug in an extension cord".  But to paraphrase an old saying, once you go cordless, you'll never go back.

That’s not how I heard it 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

That’s not how I heard it 

That's where the paraphrasing comes in.

On 9/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, IH Forever said:

I'm in the process of replacing the deck boards on my front porch with composite decking.  Cutting out the area where the board goes around a railing post is a pain since I don't have a jig saw.  I was considering purchasing a jig saw but then thought about an oscillating multi tool.  I think I could accomplish what I want to do and be able to get much more use then I would from a jig saw.  Does anyone have experience with these?  Do you find them useful?

Regarding what you want to accomplish, yes I'd pick the multi tool for that, over a jigsaw.  And I have a nice Bosch corded jigsaw.

If you're just making a couple of 90 degree cuts the jigsaw would be faster, but small details are easier with the multi.

Archived