btremel

Re-powering a KB6

I'm finally knee deep in disassembly with my KB6 I acquired last year.   Overall, frame is solid and so is most of the truck.  The fenders have the usual rust out and I will be doing a lot of patch work on them.  I'm getting the frame ready to send out for blasting.

I do have some questions about re-powering this old girl.  I met some folks at various vintage truck shows that did a great job of fitting a Cummins 6BT with little modifications.  It's tight, but it does fit without hacking out the firewall or removing the radiator.  What I learned was that the starter must be on the drivers side, which seems to be difficult to locate a bell housing with that configuration. 

Another thought would be to install an International T444e.  Measurements seem to add up, but was wondering if anyone did this?  I would like to keep with the international theme and thought that the T444e may be a better option.  Although I would need to deal with the electronics versus going with a Cummins 6BT 12V p-pump.  

And if I go with one of these engines, what standard transmissions fit the bill?  I would also like to try and reuse the original parking break if possible. 

Any thoughts, suggestions and photos of other builds? 

Thanks,

--Bill

KB6_Stripped.jpg

Why are you thinking of repowering?  Is it because the original engine is beyond repair? Or just cost of rebuild?  I repowered mine because of cost to rebuild is 20 times what I'll have in doing the repower. It sure can be a lot of extra work making engine mounts, pedal assemblies and drive line modifications. 

The original engine is complete and runs, but clearly needs a full rebuild.  That doesn't worry me at all as I plan on keeping the original engine and transmission anyway.  The plans for this truck is to take one of my antique tractors or engines to local shows.  I don't want to simply put the sheet metal on a newer truck, but want to keep this truck as original as possible, and have the power and reliability of a newer diesel engine.  

The original brakes on my 6 are Vacuum.  So, obviously, I"m going to have to either figure out a way to create vacuum or replace the braking system.

And yes, I plan on reinforcing the frame for sure.  The few trucks I saw at various shows laminated the frames to help strengthen them.