Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Had ourselves a little tractor pull today

The neighbor bought a cub, he’s from down county, he wasn’t able to do much with our stone boat with his , so I got the M out for him.. he seemed to have fun. 

• Like 2

Big brother pulling little brother 

Was common in NW Illinois for hog farmers to have wooden skids or sleds to move the little wood hog houses around from one hog pasture to another 40-50 years ago. Dad had a 16 ft long skid, the hog houses were 8x8 ft ,  took lots of trips. Then in the mid -60's he decided to build a BIG skid.  It was 24 ft long and 8 ft wide, by staggering which side you loaded from you could get 7 houses on one load. Had to be really dry for the Super H to drag that much weight, the old '39 H would not budge over 4 or 5. Used the 450 several times.

The first tractor pulls I went to at the Henry County Illinois Fair used steel stone boats,  parked a larger tractor on the sled as the classes got heavier,  needed two sometimes. Then guys lined up beside the track every ten feet and stepped on the sled and made room for more guys to hop on,  60 guys had to be on the sled for a full pull. They did manage to stop all the tractors.  Lots of different mechanical sled designs tried through the years.  Dad and I hung around watching the pull till after 1 AM one Sunday night when a 3 -speed transmission in the drivetrain to move the weight box failed.  Couple guys ran up to the junk yard 2 miles north of the fair grounds and got a replacement. That stop in the pull was close to 2 hours long!

• Like 1